Re: possibly OT: new article: clamping table for horizontal/vertical bandsaw

  • carlmciver
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31 11:16 AM
      Indeed there are. I noted the NRC symbol on the end of the clamping plate. NRC is Newport Research Corp. Among their many product lines is a product line called optomechanics. Several other companies make and sell equivalent products The US "standard" is most commonly based on 1/4-20 hole pattern on 1" centers, but there are is a M4, M6, and 8-32 versions.

      I'm very lucky that I work in a facility that has lots of this stuff. We use it for its original applications, but I also have a small plate next to the mill that I use assorted clamps with to mill small parts. We have huge optical tables (which have this hole patten in them) that get used for tasks limited by your imagination. We use it to support sensors for measurements, supporting assorted test fixtures, and so on. The more "stuff" you have the more you realize what it can do.

      I can go on and on about this stuff. It's not cheap, but the basic hardware is easy to replicate and you can take advantage of many years of other's ideas when you browse the product lines available.

      There is a version of 80/20 structural framing system called 1010 series. The extrusions have slots on 1" centers, vs the 1.5" centers of the more common 1515 series. This 1" slot spacing combined with the 1/4-20 thread pitch in a natural match. Food for thought.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Dallas Richardson <classicpoints@...> wrote:

      > I love the idea of  the idea and it gave me the idea fo a hold down
      > attachment to put in a vise for the mill..
      >
      > There could be several different versions of that for hold downs??
    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2012
        Arthur,

        I made a finger plate and mine is useful for holding things for drilling.
        The single hold down is not very strong. It tends to bend under pressure.