Re: [mill_drill] Re: Variable spped motors for 2 hp rong fu

  • Druid Noibn
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2012
      Hi,

      The machine here is a dovetail mill/drill '45 type.

      The original motor was replaced with a US made 3-phase 2HP 56C unit and a VFD.  The problems are: 1) need to make an adapter ring to mount the motor, 2) need to make a shaft coupling.  The motor was picked up from an eBay sale; the VFD was a local industrial supplier and I made the adapters.  It works well.

      Of course, one could buy a metric 3-phase motor, either from Leeson (might need to turn down the shaft) or see if the model mill/drill you have is also supplied with a 3-phase motor and buy a replacement motor.

      Kind regards,
      DBN

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2012
        Dennis,

        I put a 2 HP VFD on my RF30 recently:

        http://rick.sparber.org/VFD.pdf

        I am very happy with the upgrade.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2012
          Instead of shimming the motor shaft, couldn't you have just made the OD
          slightly big so when you pressed it into the pulley the C would close a
          little and then fit the shaft?