Re: Spindle/Quill Bearings - Lube

  • largrin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
      First of all, I am not a lubrication expert.

      When I did my spindle a few weeks ago, I went to Advance Auto, and looked at what was there.

      After reading info on cans for a several minutes, I bought-
      "#2 Extreme Pressure Lithium Grease"
      It says it is formulated for high temperature performance.
      It is red in color.
      On my fingers, it feels thinner than normal axle grease.

      Since then, I have run the mill for extended periods. Once was nearly 3 hours.
      I can feel no heat buildup. The spindle gets barely above room temperature.
      I can get my pinky finger into the tang slot to feel the main spindle barrel, and it feels fine, even after lots of use.

      So I think I lucked out and got the right grease for it.

      Larry in WV

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dereklola" <derek@...> wrote:

      > What grease to members recommend for the taper roller bearings?
      > And for the sliding splines?

    • Art Eckstein
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
        When I did my RF31 last summer, I used:

        "SuperLube" by SyncoChem Company Bohemia, NY www.super-lube.com LA101-6 or 8

        This can be found in some of the popular automotive stores or on line
        at the above URL. Also remember, you do not use a 100% fill on these
        bearing as we are running them at a rather high speed for their
        design and this stuff is light weight rather the consistency of "Vasoline".
        I have also seen "Kluber" grease recommended and it is rather expensive!

        Also after repacking, do a good "break-in" procedure.

        Art
        Country Bubba

        At 10:59 PM 2/29/2012, you wrote:
        >What grease to members recommend for the taper roller bearings?
        >And for the sliding splines?
      • Stan Stocker
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2012
          Good morning,

          When I emailed Grizzly tech support years ago they recommended using a
          good quality wheel bearing grease. My particular mill is a g1006.

          Take care,
          Stan

          On 02/29/2012 10:59 PM, dereklola wrote:
          > What grease to members recommend for the taper roller bearings?
          > And for the sliding splines?

        • Tim W4YN
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2012
            Wheel bearing grease is for low rpm application.
            You need a light soap grease with low viscocity pure mineral oil.
            That was by the book, a good grade of light grease will work fine.
            I use the white lubraplate for most medium speed applications. I would bet that a thin synthetic grease would do well also. Lucas makes a green (sorry not sure of name) GP high grade grease.
            If the soad (the thick stuff that holds oil) or the oil is too stiff (high viscosity) the balls or rollers will push it all aside and loose lubrcation.
            Tim in NC

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Stan Stocker <skstocker@...> wrote:

            > Good morning,
            >
            > When I emailed Grizzly tech support years ago they recommended using a
            > good quality wheel bearing grease. My particular mill is a g1006.
            >
            > Take care,
            > Stan
            >
            > On 02/29/2012 10:59 PM, dereklola wrote:
            > > What grease to members recommend for the taper roller bearings?
            > > And for the sliding splines?

          • November X-Ray
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2012
              What is the definition for "low rpm"??? Depending on what OD a tire is would determine the rpm, smaller of course means a higher rpm for any given speed and I would not think much would be beyond 1000 or even 1200 rpm for most vehicles so I was curious how the ranges are divided. Quick math tells me a 30" OD tire would turn 672 RPM at 60 miles per hour, a 24" OD would be 840 at the same speed. The little boat trailer tires are tiny and between the high rpm and the frequent submersion in water, no wonder you see them broken down along side the roadways quite often