MSC 40% off code, how often?

  • Corey Renner
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 29, 2012
      A few weeks ago MSC emailed me a 40%-off discount code.  Of course, I didn't need anything until a day or two after it expired.  I'm more of an Enco guy, and I'm familiar with the discounts that they offer and how often to expect them.  I've rarely used MSC, but in this case they have something that I need, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how often they offer a 40%-off code.  Is this a once-a-year or a once-a-month type of thing?

      thanks,
    • Arthur Marks
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
        MSC plays all the games...  "up to" (key phrase!) 25-40% codes every other week.  I refuse to buy from them anymore.  Their "catalog" prices are routinely well above MSRP and even with the "coupons" I am left feeling ripped off.  'Just one man's perspective.  YMMV -Arthur

        On Wednesday, February 29, 2012, Corey Renner wrote:

        A few weeks ago MSC emailed me a 40%-off discount code.  Of course, I didn't need anything until a day or two after it expired.  I'm more of an Enco guy, and I'm familiar with the discounts that they offer and how often to expect them.  I've rarely used MSC, but in this case they have something that I need, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how often they offer a 40%-off code.  Is this a once-a-year or a once-a-month type of thing?

        thanks,

      • Barry Lochridge
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
          They can offer that, because they sell the same things as Enco (all-be-it more things and occasionally higher quality) but they mark up the price 50-70% over Enco even though they are the same company.  Just and old economic/marketing ploy to get all the money one can from the unsuspecting.  They usually just have 35% off codes though, so 40 is pretty good.

          Barry
        • November X-Ray
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
            Many, many years ago while I was in high school I worked for a John Deere Dealer/ Farm Supply/Hardware store and several times a year I would spend all week marking up everything in the store 50% so the following week they would hold a "20% off everything in the store" sale, with a "Limit Two Items Per Customer"! I was always amazed at how many people would flock to the store thinking they were saving money!!!

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
              I get a special offer from MSC about once a week. Got one today for 25% off. They are variable..... some are for free freight...some for certain categories etc etc.

              Most of the stuff I buy is from Enco.Comes from the same warehouse as MSC, in Fernley by the way. A lot of the same items, and always (almost) better pricing.
              I was looking to buy some internal groove calipers, and found the same ones offed at MSC for less than Enco. I notified Enco, and they gave me a discount, so all the sizes I ordered were 5% below the MSC price. Enco stands behind their price guarantee, even if they have to compete against their owner.

              Don't count MSC out....I'm a shopper. Doesn't hurt or cost anything to check pricing & availability online, so I check 'em all.  I do purchase some things from MSC.....but it's generally more specialized tooling that most places don't carry, and always cause they have a better price. I bought some port profiling tools from them as they had the best price than anyone I could find, and they had stock. Their price was even better than the manufacturer. (Metcut)

              Pays to shop.....

              Bill

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

              > A few weeks ago MSC emailed me a 40%-off discount code. Of course, I
              > didn't need anything until a day or two after it expired. I'm more of an
              > Enco guy, and I'm familiar with the discounts that they offer and how often
              > to expect them. I've rarely used MSC, but in this case they have something
              > that I need, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how often they offer
              > a 40%-off code. Is this a once-a-year or a once-a-month type of thing?
              >
              > thanks,

            • Dallas Richardson
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                Bill;
                ENCO and MSC are Sister Companys, They are owned by the same Corporation

                ENCO is the Lower End of the line of tools, in quality as well as price.. Generally..
                ENCO also, handles more of the "Import" side of the scale.

                They are both located in Fernley, Nevada..  About 40 miles EAST of Reno, Nevada.

                Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
                it's about learning to dance in the rain!..

                Dallas  IMAX 1340

                I get a special offer from MSC about once a week. Got one today for 25% off. They are variable..... some are for free freight...some for certain categories etc etc.

                Most of the stuff I buy is from Enco.Comes from the same warehouse as MSC, in Fernley by the way. A lot of the same items, and always (almost) better pricing.
                I was looking to buy some internal groove calipers, and found the same ones offed at MSC for less than Enco. I notified Enco, and they gave me a discount, so all the sizes I ordered were 5% below the MSC price. Enco stands behind their price guarantee, even if they have to compete against their owner.

                Don't count MSC out....I'm a shopper. Doesn't hurt or cost anything to check pricing & availability online, so I check 'em all.  I do purchase some things from MSC.....but it's generally more specialized tooling that most places don't carry, and always cause they have a better price. I bought some port profiling tools from them as they had the best price than anyone I could find, and they had stock. Their price was even better than the manufacturer. (Metcut)

                Pays to shop.....

                Bill

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

                > A few weeks ago MSC emailed me a 40%-off discount code. Of course, I
                > didn't need anything until a day or two after it expired. I'm more of an
                > Enco guy, and I'm familiar with the discounts that they offer and how often
                > to expect them. I've rarely used MSC, but in this case they have something
                > that I need, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me how often they offer
                > a 40%-off code. Is this a once-a-year or a once-a-month type of thing?
                >
                > thanks,

              • Corey Renner
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Maybe you guys know of a better source.  What I need is a 7-1/2" diameter bar of cast iron about 6" long.  No dice with all of my usual places (Enco, SpeedyMetals, Industrial Metal Supply, etc.).  MSC has a 1' long bar for $236, which is $141 when the 40% coupon rolls around.  I want to use it to make a riser for one of my mills, but I'm not in a huge hurry.  I can wait for the 40% to come around again, or I can order if now if someone knows of a better source.

                  cheers,

                  On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Bill <bill_1955@...> wrote:
                   Pays to shop.....

                  Bill

                • Jerry Durand
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                    If you could use a little smaller and don't mind stacking, Enco has 6" diameter x 1" thick cast disks.
                    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=325-4553&PMPXNO=5810919&PARTPG=INSRHI

                    That would be a good time to use a free shipping code.  :)

                    On 03/01/2012 09:08 AM, Corey Renner wrote: Maybe you guys know of a better source.  What I need is a 7-1/2" diameter bar of cast iron about 6" long.  No dice with all of my usual places (Enco, SpeedyMetals, Industrial Metal Supply, etc.).  MSC has a 1' long bar for $236, which is $141 when the 40% coupon rolls around.  I want to use it to make a riser for one of my mills, but I'm not in a huge hurry.  I can wait for the 40% to come around again, or I can order if now if someone knows of a better source.

                    cheers,

                    On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Bill <bill_1955@...> wrote:
                     Pays to shop.....

                    Bill

                    tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                    Skype:  jerrydurand

                  • Corey Renner

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012

                        > ENCO and MSC are Sister Companys, They are owned by the same Corporation
                            I thought I said that????

                        > ENCO is the Lower End of the line of tools, in quality as well as price.. Generally..
                            Generally....yes, but they do have a lot of quality and name brands as well. Not the selection that MSC has, but quite a bit.
                            And...the specialty stuff, like I need from time to time....you don't find it at Enco. They go after the bigger movers.
                        > ENCO also, handles more of the "Import" side of the scale.
                            Agreed, but same comment as above. but for the most part, MSC also sells the same import stuff as Enco. It just costs more, apples to apples...at least it usually costs more.

                        > They are both located in Fernley, Nevada..  About 40 miles EAST of Reno, Nevada.
                            I thought I said that too. I live 165 miles east of Reno. Enco & MSC stuff comes out of the same building, and strangely enough, from different address'. Right around the corner from Lowes.....

                        Bill

                        ______________________________

                      • Corey Renner
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                          I know that MSC & Enco are the same company, but not everything is the same.  For example, did you know that if you miss an Enco sale code by a day or two, a phone operator will still honor the code?  MSC will not do this.  Also, here in AZ residential orders from Enco which ship the day of my order take 2-3 days to reach me, but MSC orders shipping just as quickly from the same warehouse, shipped via the same carrier (UPS) reach me overnight.  Werid, huh?

                          cheers,

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                            I don't know where you are Corey.....

                            I get most of my metals out of Salt Lake, most of 'em deliver here....but I've never had the need for any cast iron....yet.
                            If I was lookin', I'd start with Encore Metals. I know they have it in their catalog. Salt Lake number is 800-748-4688...if that's close to you...

                            They have warehouses in Portland and Seattle, as well as some distributors in Canada. http://encoremetals.com/contactus.htm

                            Might be worth a look and a call anyway.

                            Bill

                            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

                            > Maybe you guys know of a better source. What I need is a 7-1/2" diameter
                            > bar of cast iron about 6" long. No dice with all of my usual places (Enco,
                            > SpeedyMetals, Industrial Metal Supply, etc.). MSC has a 1' long bar for
                            > $236, which is $141 when the 40% coupon rolls around. I want to use it to
                            > make a riser for one of my mills, but I'm not in a huge hurry. I can wait
                            > for the 40% to come around again, or I can order if now if someone knows of
                            > a better source.
                            >
                            > https://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2?PARTPG=IMLMKD&PMPXNO=1986316
                            >
                            > cheers,
                            >
                            > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Bill bill_1955@... wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > > Pays to shop.....
                            > >

                            > > Bill

                          • Bill
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                              I really don't know how MSC is to deal with when there's a problem. Never had one, but I only order from 'em 2 or 3 times a year.

                              Enco, I have had a few problems, but they have always fixed them right away.
                                  I bought a 5 ton arbor press. When I got it, the box was broken, and the hand wheel was missing. I had a hand wheel from 'em the next day.
                                  I received a Hertel S&D drill bit set, and it was missing the 11/16" bit. Here the next day.
                                  They stand behind their low price guarantee too. I e-mailed the MSC page w/pricing for the groove calipers I was looking at. The e-mailed me back, gave me a 5% discount off the lower than them MSC price. Besides that, the 20% discount that was in effect for the week still applied to them after the -5% price. The -5% showed up automatically when I added them to my order online. Hard to beat those guys for service.

                              As far as shipping, I'm right down the road, so orders from either will show up the next day.

                              Bill

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

                              > I know that MSC & Enco are the same company, but not everything is the
                              > same. For example, did you know that if you miss an Enco sale code by a
                              > day or two, a phone operator will still honor the code? MSC will not do
                              > this. Also, here in AZ residential orders from Enco which ship the day of
                              > my order take 2-3 days to reach me, but MSC orders shipping just as quickly
                              > from the same warehouse, shipped via the same carrier (UPS) reach me
                              > overnight. Werid, huh?
                              >
                              > cheers,
                              >
                              > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Bill bill_1955@... wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > > ENCO and MSC are Sister Companys, They are owned by the same Corporation
                              > > I thought I said that????

                            • Jerry Durand
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                                On 3/1/2012 10:55 AM, Bill wrote:
                                |**|begin egp html banner|**|
                                As far as shipping, I'm rig ht down the road, so orders from either will show up the next day.

                                Bill

                                I'm in California and still get things the next day.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                                  In this case, seeing the price you reference, it sounds fair to me.
                                  Not EVERYthing @MSC is obscenely overpriced to begin with--just a lot
                                  of it :D You may not, though, receive as much off with the coupon as
                                  you anticipate. I've had such promotional codes, and sometimes I will
                                  receive no more than $15 off a $700+ item. For metal supply, I am in
                                  Chicago so there are a good selection of suppliers with the mills so
                                  close. I might request a quote from Metal Supermarkets. Cast Iron is
                                  not shown on their online listings, but I can verify that the same
                                  business location that fulfills their orders in Chicago also supplies
                                  a fair amount of the short-length material that McMaster stocks in
                                  their Chicago warehouse. I usually call the branch directly rather
                                  than use the Metal Supermarkets website, and they will get just about
                                  anything I ask for. Considering that McMaster lists a foot of 7-1/2"
                                  round for $203.01, perhaps Metal Supermarkets can quote rather close
                                  to your MSC "coupon" price for a 6" length? ...just thinking out loud
                                  on this one. -Arthur
                                • Corey Renner

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                                      Bill;
                                      Thanks for straightening me out on the finer things  of life.. (grin)
                                      I live in Salt Lake City

                                      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
                                      it's about learning to dance in the rain!..

                                      Dallas  IMAX 1340

                                      > ENCO and MSC are Sister Companys, They are owned by the same Corporation
                                          I thought I said that????

                                      > ENCO is the Lower End of the line of tools, in quality as well as price.. Generally..
                                          Generally....yes, but they do have a lot of quality and name brands as well. Not the selection that MSC has, but quite a bit.
                                          And...the specialty stuff, like I need from time to time....you don't find it at Enco. They go after the bigger movers.
                                      > ENCO also, handles more of the "Import" side of the scale.
                                          Agreed, but same comment as above. but for the most part, MSC also sells the same import stuff as Enco. It just costs more, apples to apples...at least it usually costs more.

                                      > They are both located in Fernley, Nevada..  About 40 miles EAST of Reno, Nevada.
                                          I thought I said that too. I live 165 miles east of Reno. Enco & MSC stuff comes out of the same building, and strangely enough, from different address'. Right around the corner from Lowes.....

                                      Bill

                                    • Jerome Kimberlin
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 1, 2012
                                        On 3/1/2012 9:08 AM, Corey Renner wrote: Maybe you guys know of a better source.  What I need is a 7-1/2" diameter bar of cast iron about 6" long.  No dice with all of my usual places (Enco, SpeedyMetals, Industrial Metal Supply, etc.).  MSC has a 1' long bar for $236, which is $141 when the 40% coupon rolls around.  I want to use it to make a riser for one of my mills, but I'm not in a huge hurry.  I can wait for the 40% to come around again, or I can order if now if someone knows of a better source.

                                        I don't have much of a clue, but DuraBar is a name of good cast iron.  Sold by EMJ Company in Phoenix.  That much cast iron is going to be costly to ship very far although you can't damage it.

                                        JerryK
                                      • js1160@yahoo.com