Replacing Spindle/Quill Bearings

  • dereklola
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
      It's been a long time since I last posted on this forum - which is an indication that my Mill Drill has been performing flawlessly. Until yesterday!

      I need to check and probably replace the spindle bearings. I did keep a paper copy of an article by Phil Teague years and years ago which is of some help but I believe there was an illustrated article in Home Shop Machining about 2001. Does anyone have a cope of that they could email me? HSM has back copies but it will take two weeks to get one and as usual I'm in a hurry.

      Maybe more important questions are - has there been any recent posts on the subject that I'd find useful? (searching doesn't seem to help much) - or simply has anyone got any current experience or advice to offer?

      Many thx in advance - Derek
    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
        Hi Derek,

        It might help a few of us to know what mill/drill you are working with.

        Kind regards,
        DBN

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012

          This might get you close.  I like lots of pictures!

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
            to DBN - that's a very reasonable suggestion (!) to which the best answer probably comes from RWC's reply - my machine is "a round column mill drill". Actually neither the machine nor the instruction book has any name except "Complex Machine MD-30B" but many machines seem to be almost the same. I bought it from Busy Bee Tools in Canada and was told at the time it was made in Taiwan not in mainland China - apparently inferring this was better.

            Anyhow - many thanks to RWC for guessing right - and posting what seems to be a very useful article from fignoggle (which I had never heard of before). Here goes - starting to read now - - - -- -

            Thx - Derek - who is constantly left wondering how he managed to live the first 60 years of his life without the internet.

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, rwc24908@... wrote:
            > http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/round-column-mill-drills/round-column-mill-drill-spindle-quill-removal-procedure.htm
          • Druid Noibn
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
              Hi Derek,

              The reason for the question is now moot as you got the information needed.  Some variances are noted and some have machines that have "personalities" or is it the operator...?  In any event, we sometimes see rather specific suggestions as to making adjustments and sourcing parts that vary a bit.

              Let us all know what you find and what you did to correct or improve the system - the education is appreciated.

              Be well,
              DBN

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012
                Derek
                I recently had to take the spindle out of my HF 33686 mill drill. The link that RWC posted is the info I used to do the job. It is a good resource.
                The only exception I can take with it is that the lock nut thread on mine is not left handed. It is a standard right handed thread.

                The reason I had to take it apart is that during any interrupted cuts there was too much
                backlash to be heard. In the end, all I had to do was clean, re-grease, and reset the bearing load correctly. I think the factory pre-load became too loose after some run-in time. The bearings looked perfect.
                It used to get hot after prolonged high speed use. Now it works just fine. I think using a good quality grease was part of solving the heat problem.

                Larry in WV

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, rwc24908@... wrote:

                > http://www.fignoggle.com/machines/round-column-mill-drills/round-column-mill-drill-spindle-quill-removal-procedure.htm
                >
                > This might get you close. I like lots of pictures!

              • dereklola
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012
                  I think I now understand psychological warfare! Having read all the articles that have been written over the last decade I was convinced that disassembly was going to be so difficult that I was about to face the devil.

                  Not so - although I do thank all those that helped me, on the forum and by email. Basically disassembly is straight forward - if you can disassemble a jet engine without any reference books you'll have no problems with a round column mill-drill.

                  I like simplified instructions so here goes -

                  1 - make sure the downfeed is all the way up and the quill lock released. Crank down the head until the spindle rests on a bit of wood on the table.

                  2 - unscrew and remove the quill lock.

                  3 - release/remove the spring return. Remove the screw for the spring from the shaft.

                  4 - remove the entire downfeed mechanism from the RH side - two cap screws hold the casting on to the main head casting.

                  5 - the quill/spindle is now free - crank up the head on the column and it will emerge from the bottom.

                  Inspection and reassembly to follow.

                  Derek
                • Druid Noibn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2012
                    Hi Derek,

                    OK, I understand...but - what do you do with the left over parts from the tubine?

                    Good to hear it all worked out.

                    Kind regards,
                    John

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
                      Left over parts? Have you ever heard the Johnny Cash song, "I got one piece at a time"?

                      Mark

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Derek, OK, I understand...but - what do you do with the left over parts from the tubine?  Good to hear it all worked out. Kind regards,John

                    • Druid Noibn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012

                        Indeed - be it one piece or one step...