Re: updated article: new drill tables including decimal inch and metric

  • BillL
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 6, 2012
      Malcolm

      Could you make this available in excel spreadsheet format?

      Bill

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

      > Rick
      >
      > Not wishing to steal your thunder, but in the tradition of "Here's one  made earlier" I have uploaded, to the files section, a pdf of the fraction, letter, number, metric drill and tapping sizes chart I made a few years ago. I have it laminated as two double sided sheets that hang on the workshop wall. See:
      >
      > Malcolm
      >
      > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
      > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
      > The writing is on the wall.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 6, 2012
        Bil
        'Tis done.

        Malcolm

        I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it! Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin The writing is on the wall.

        Could you make this available in excel spreadsheet format?

        Bill

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

        > Rick
        >
        > Not wishing to steal your thunder, but in the tradition of "Here's one  made earlier" I have uploaded, to the files section, a pdf of the fraction, letter, number, metric drill and tapping sizes chart I made a few years ago. I have it laminated as two double sided sheets that hang on the workshop wall. See:
        >
        > Malcolm
        >
        > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
        > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
        > The writing is on the wall.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • gmiller4396
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
          Thank you for the new file.

          I was looking to see what drill to use for a M3.5 x 0.35 tap, but didn't see anything listed?

          Do you know what drill to use for this tap?

          Also, while looking for the drill size, I think I saw a mistake on the chart.

          For 2.85mm, the chart says the size is .122. Following the chart sizes, I believe the number should actually be .112?

          Thank you again for posting the charts.

          Mark

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

          > Rick
          >
          > Not wishing to steal your thunder, but in the tradition of "Here's one  made earlier" I have uploaded, to the files section, a pdf of the fraction, letter, number, metric drill and tapping sizes chart I made a few years ago. I have it laminated as two double sided sheets that hang on the workshop wall. See:
          >
          > Malcolm
          >
          > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
          > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
          > The writing is on the wall.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • RG Sparber
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
            Mark,

            I've never tapped metric threads but I'm sure someone else will supply that info. You are right about the typo. I'll fix it now.

            Thanks,

            I was looking to see what drill to use for a M3.5 x 0.35 tap, but didn't see anything listed?

            Do you know what drill to use for this tap?

            Also, while looking for the drill size, I think I saw a mistake on the chart.

            For 2.85mm, the chart says the size is .122. Following the chart sizes, I believe the number should actually be .112?

            Thank you again for posting the charts.

            Mark

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

            > Rick
            >
            > Not wishing to steal your thunder, but in the tradition of "Here's one made earlier" I have uploaded, to the files section, a pdf of the fraction, letter, number, metric drill and tapping sizes chart I made a few years ago. I have it laminated as two double sided sheets that hang on the workshop wall. See:
            >
            > Malcolm
            > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
            > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
            > The writing is on the wall.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • RG Sparber
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
              Mark,

              I just realized you were talking to Malcolm. My table seems to be right. In
              fact, I ran an audit of all metric to decimal inch entries and they were
              consistent.

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                Metric taps are quite simple, really.  Take the nominal size (3.5) and subtract the pitch (3.5 - .35) and that is the standard size tap drill = 3.15mm.  The decimal equivalent would be 0.124". An eighth inch drill is close enough ;). -Arthur

                On Tuesday, February 7, 2012, gmiller4396 <gmiller4396@...> wrote:
                > I was looking to see what drill to use for a M3.5 x 0.35 tap, but didn't see anything listed?
                > Do you know what drill to use for this tap?
              • clumsysoftballerz
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                  EXCELLENT! Thank You!!

                  It will be slow going as I'm backed up on customer jobs and my own orders, plus the real job, but I'm going to make a second page with thread type-pilot hole (and conversion), clearance hole (+C), CS hole/depth (+C). Since you requested I post it back I will make it with actual conversion instead of just inch size converted from metric.

                  Thanks Again!

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "RG Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

                  > clumsysoftballerz,
                  >
                  > I have updated the page to now offer all of the .xls versions of the drill
                  > tables that I have. When you modify any of these files, I would like to put
                  > them in the collection too. The more choices people have, the better.
                  >
                  > http://rick.sparber.org/ma.htm#8
                  >
                  > Rick

                • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                    Mark

                    Thanks for that, corrected files uploaded.

                    Malcolm

                    I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it! Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin The writing is on the wall.

                    I was looking to see what drill to use for a M3.5 x 0.35 tap, but didn't see anything listed?

                    Do you know what drill to use for this tap?

                    Also, while looking for the drill size, I think I saw a mistake on the chart.

                    For 2.85mm, the chart says the size is .122. Following the chart sizes, I believe the number should actually be .112?

                    Thank you again for posting the charts.

                    Mark

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

                    > Rick
                    >
                    > Not wishing to steal your thunder, but in the tradition of "Here's one  made earlier" I have uploaded, to the files section, a pdf of the fraction, letter, number, metric drill and tapping sizes chart I made a few years ago. I have it laminated as two double sided sheets that hang on the workshop wall. See:
                    >
                    > Malcolm
                    >
                    > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
                    > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                    > The writing is on the wall.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • BillL
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                      Thanks That's Great

                      Bill In Cincy

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

                      > Bil
                      > 'Tis done.
                      >
                      > Malcolm
                      >
                      > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
                      > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                      > The writing is on the wall.
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • gmiller4396
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                        Thanks Arthur. Very simple solution. Learn something new on this group all the time.

                        Mark

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                          Thank You for posting. All those numbers, hard not to get one misprint?

                          Mark

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

                          > Mark
                          >
                          > Thanks for that, corrected files uploaded.
                          >
                          > Malcolm
                          >

                          > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
                          > Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                          > The writing is on the wall.
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                            The first people to do the calculations for navigation tables were called Computers and their work was checked by others, but the tables were still full of many errors, Babbage was the first to try to develop a  universal mechanical computer to solve the error problem.
                            It looks as though the even with today's electronic computers problem is not solved! The human is still prone to error.

                          • Dennis
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                              The same thing works for standard 60 degree inch threads if you convert TPI to IPT

                              3/8-16 -> .375 - .0625 = .3125
                              1-8 -> 1.000-.125 = .875

                              Dennis

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 8, 2012
                                Thank you. This makes it very easy, and also answers another question I had.

                                I was wondering how to determine the ID of a large cylinder, or the OD of another piece threaded into it. This will make it easy on me.

                                If I understand this correctly, I can bore the cylinder to any dimension close to what will work and then mate the male piece with this formula. Since the cylinder ID is allowed to vary, this lets me size the mate to fit it, base on thread size.

                                Learn something new here all the time.

                                Mark