maybe OT: new article: ExcelR to WalgreensR: Making Small Re ference Cards

  • RG Sparber
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012

      Once in a while I will have a table of data that would be useful in my shop. Sometimes the table ends up on a hand written piece of paper while other times I really want it to look professional. This article explains how to generate and print professional looking reference cards at a cost of less than 25 cents a copy.

      If you are interested, please see

      http://rick.sparber.org/etw.pdf

      Your comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than anyone of us.

      Rick

    • Jerry Durand
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
        Not a card, but we found a way to do nice looking labels for things, example
        http://interstellar.com/products_files/4201-B.jpg
        and
        http://interstellar.com/products_files/Switch-4_MIDI.JPG

        The labels are made of polyester and printed on a laser printer (color if you've got one).  0.002" thick, weather resistant (we have some "keep gate closed" ones on our yard gates that look fine after almost 3 years outdoors) and fairly cheap.
        http://www.labelsbythesheet.com/items/Water-Resistant-Polyester-Labels~Laser-/list.htm

        I see they also have some sort of water resistant ink-jet labels now too, but we threw the ink-jet printers out the door a long time ago (if you think gold is expensive, figure out the price of ink per pound).

        NOTE:  Do NOT peel the label from the backing paper, peel the paper from the label.  If you curl the label you might crack the ink and have some flake off.  That's the only failure mode we've found with these.

        On 02/02/2012 08:27 AM, RG Sparber wrote:

        Once in a while I will have a table of data that would be useful in my shop. -- Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886 Skype: jerrydurand

      • RG Sparber
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012

          Jerry,

          Those are first rate labels. Very professional looking.

          A trick I use sometimes is to print mirror image on transparency plastic. Then when I flip it over, the toner is protected by the plastic. Not as nice as you show but it is durable.

          Another option that I have not tried is to let Walgreens print to a coaster or to a metal plate. Both should be oil resistant. But they are a bit $$.

          Rick