Re: [mill_drill] new article available: The Basic Mental Model of Alibre CAD

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2011
      Richard,

      I agree. If I know I want a hole in the 2D sketch phase, I put it right in. But I was trying to parallel the physical world where you would first have the 3D block and then drill the hole. Only in casting would you have the "hole" (a core) and form the block around it. :-)

      Rick

      On Nov 30, 2011, at 7:41 PM, "Richard" <rwskinner@...> wrote:

      I make a lot of my straight through holes in my sketch before I extrude.

      Richard
    • leasingham_connelly
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2011
        I downloaded the free version of Alibre some time ago but have not yet put it on my home computer. I use Autocad 2007 at work and use the 3D for modelling most of the things I draw. The latest drawing was for a pipe jig for two pipes with mirror image locations but different shapes between the end flanges. Shop made jigs can be made accuratly for most of the pipes we have to make if the various parts are designed for simplicity. In this case a straight edge, engineer's square and steel tape were all that were required to complete the jig once the parts were machined. The pipe fitters had gone ahead and made the pipe before the jig was made, now they can see the error in their part and will be cutting and remaking the pipe to the jig (more haste = less speed is still true). See the files folder with the rendered model images and a photo of the jig complete with pipe created 02 Dec 11 for comparison with Alibre work done by Rick.

        I use Autocad 3D much like Rick does. I take basic shapes of material and remove the pieces that I do not need much as you do when machining. This is fine for parts that are going to be made on a manual lathe or in this case the manual Rong Fu Mill Drill. No double curved faces and no fancy splines.

        Martin.