Tool accuracy

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2011
      Just as a data point, I have some 'good' 8" calipers that I keep with
      the machines and a 6" one that came with a shipment of bearings from
      VXB. I was just showing someone the difference and figured I'd mention
      it here.

      Quick version: 1" gauge block, good calipers read it as 1.0000, cheap
      ones read it as 1.0040

      I keep the cheap ones in the office for quick checks on stuff, mainly
      plastic and electronics that isn't that critical.

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand
    • Corey Renner

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2011
          I have nothing against cheap stuff that works.  BUT, check your measuring instruments from time to time...if nothing else against a piece of drill rod.  Things get made wrong, they break or drift over time, or the factory installed grit package may move and change the numbers.

          On 11/30/2011 12:50 PM, Corey Renner wrote: I've found my cheapo calipers to be as accurate as my good ones, but there are two gotchas.  The first is that the feel sucks, meaning it takes more practice to get consistent readings compared with good calipers.  The second gotcha is that they usually have lots of grit in them factory-installed.  Without a proper cleaning, it's very hard to get decent readings out of them.  I can only speak for the HF blue or black metal calipers and Mitutoyo & Starrett.  I have't tried any others.

          cheers,

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2011
            Good advice Jerry.

            Ironically, the only calipers that have ever died on me were my nice mitutoyos that lived in a wooden box on the desk in my office.  They were treated with care and never saw any rough use.  There are eight or so cheap HF calipers that live in my shop and do things like scribe lines, and get dropped onto the concrete floor occasionally.  None of them has ever failed and the oldest one was bought in 1999.  Go figure.

            cheers,

            On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

            I have nothing against cheap stuff that works.  BUT, check your measuring instruments from time to time...if nothing else against a piece of drill rod.  Things get made wrong, they break or drift over time, or the factory installed grit package may move and change the numbers.

          • J. mendoza
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2011

              sounds like a house that deteriorates faster when no one lives in it.
              my cheap caliper after 1 year , unexpectedly fails, every ones in awhile. Right when I'm ready to buy another, it starts to work.

              It's messing with me, I know it.

              I will say it does have a .005 in. error. I resolve it by sliding it away from home and reslide to take measurement.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2011
                I have a 6" HF dial caliper at my desk. If I close the jaws, zero the dial, open them 1" and re-close the dial, it returns to zero. If I open the jaws 6" and then close them, the dial reads ~-0.0005. Without changing anything, if I open the jaws 1" again and close them, the dial returns to zero.

                They don't get used for anything important, the batteries never die, and my wife doesn't castigate me for using HER calipers. (I would add that they were cheap, but I've already identified them as HF, so that would be redundant.) In the shop, the Mitutoyo calipers get used for anything that doesn't need micrometer accuracy.

                Regards,
                Ed

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

                > Just as a data point, I have some 'good' 8" calipers that I keep with
                > the machines and a 6" one that came with a shipment of bearings from
                > VXB. I was just showing someone the difference and figured I'd mention
                > it here.
                >
                > Quick version: 1" gauge block, good calipers read it as 1.0000, cheap
                > ones read it as 1.0040
                >
                > I keep the cheap ones in the office for quick checks on stuff, mainly
                > plastic and electronics that isn't that critical.
                >
                > --
                > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                > Skype: jerrydurand

              • SSHIRE
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2011
                  When I got my Mitutoyo calipers the same thing was happening. I found that by running my finger over each jaw the problem went away. It's now a habit. Calipers open, clean dust (or whatever) off with finger, close. I get .ooooo all the time now.
                  Stan
                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "EdwinB" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

                  > I have a 6" HF dial caliper at my desk. If I close the jaws, zero the dial, open them 1" and re-close the dial, it returns to zero. If I open the jaws 6" and then close them, the dial reads ~-0.0005. Without changing anything, if I open the jaws 1" again and close them, the dial returns to zero.
                  >
                  > They don't get used for anything important, the batteries never die, and my wife doesn't castigate me for using HER calipers. (I would add that they were cheap, but I've already identified them as HF, so that would be redundant.) In the shop, the Mitutoyo calipers get used for anything that doesn't need micrometer accuracy.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Ed
                  >
                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Just as a data point, I have some 'good' 8" calipers that I keep with
                  > > the machines and a 6" one that came with a shipment of bearings from
                  > > VXB. I was just showing someone the difference and figured I'd mention
                  > > it here.
                  > >
                  > > Quick version: 1" gauge block, good calipers read it as 1.0000, cheap
                  > > ones read it as 1.0040
                  > >
                  > > I keep the cheap ones in the office for quick checks on stuff, mainly
                  > > plastic and electronics that isn't that critical.
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                  > > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                  > > Skype: jerrydurand

                • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2011
                    It works with the Chinese ones too.