Re: G1007 motor problem

  • rwc24908@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2011
      This is the first time I've ever tried to post, so here goes.  I have a G1006 (about ten years old.)  It does the same thing, but it will keep running (usually) if I take my finger off the start button slowly.
      I took the switch apart (after unplugging the machine!) and filed the contacts.  This cured the problem for a couple of years, but it's doing it again, so I need to file again or replace the switch.
      I know nothing about start or run capacitors, but fixing the switch cured the problem for me.  I'm gong to Grizzly this week or next (about 200 miles each way) for a new switch and to drool on all their
      fun toys.

    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2011
        Hi,

        Check to make sure Grizzly has the item in-stock.  My local Grizzly is in PA and about 3.5 hours - GREAT store.
        Take care,
        DBN

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2011
          Thanks, DBN, very good point.
                You know how it goes  --- $20 part, $50 for gas, $70 worth of fun.  If he can mill while holding the switch engaged, then the motor is probably fine.  My switch contacts (there's a bunch of them) were
          badly pitted.  If you forget to unplug the machine before taking the switch apart, the sparks will make it hard to see what you're doing!

                                Bill in Tacoma

        • Druid Noibn
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2011
            HI Bill,

            Agreed - in the early days I would routinely burnish contacts.

            My next trip to Grizzly in for their tent sale - good deals can be had.

            Be well,
            DBN

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2011
              I had a G1007 with the same problem. The switch was designed to latch
              in the on position. The latching surfaces were made of plastic and
              were worn. Grizzly quoted me $54 for a new switch! I went to Lowes
              and bought a 240V 20 amp double pole motor rated toggle switch for
              $15. I mounted it in a standard metal handybox (~$1.50) and mounted
              that to the side of the head. I removed the old switch and covered
              the hole with a piece of aluminum. It worked great. I sold the
              machine a couple of years ago.

              Fergus
            • Bill Stietenroth
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2011
                Those push button start switches are famous for that. If you can, you would eliminate problem if you convert to a drum switch. They are heavy duty and made for motor control. Push buttons are made for low current applications.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 8, 2011
                  Thanks Bill and everyone,

                  I should have said that I already took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts. The button is staying in but I didn't use a VOM to check for continuity (DUH!). I will check that next. There are four wires to the switch so I assume (dangerous) that it is designed to work for make/break for 220V.

                  Alan