Re: [mill_drill] Re: RongFu, RongFu, whacha' gonna do?

  • CS Mo
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 4, 2011
      Many years ago I owned a RongFu RF40 as well as several other clones. If you can manage the space, even a worn Bridgeport is well worth the effort in comparison to any of the mill/drills. If you are patient, full size Bridgeports or Bridgeport clones show up on CL (possibly not in the Bay area but definitely in Portland/Seattle) for $1500-2500 pretty often.

      If you really want an RF45 I've been happier with all the machinery that I've received from WT Tool than anything I ever got from Enco, HF or Grizzly. Also, I would not pay extra for a 'genuine' RongFu - the differences are smaller than the differences in individual shipments from a single vendor.

      That said, it really depends on what you want to do - if you have minimal steel/iron milling needs and you're patient, a mill/drill may be perfectly suitable for you. But if you want something that can really hog out steel, you really want the mass of a Bridgeport. Somewhere I have some pictures of surface finish comparing a 1/2" end mill taking a finishing pass on still with the RF40 and the same pass with my Comet (BP Clone). The difference is night and day.

      --CS

      >You know I hadn't seen that Clausing but it looks interesting. Funny
      >thing is it doesn't show up on CL if you search for "mill", but it does
      >if you search for "Clausing". The spindle taper is a little troublesome
      >to me (lathes.co.uk says they came with either a M2 or BS taper). Can
      >you still find parts for these? Funny thing is, it looks a lot like the
      >small knee mills that Griz and others sell. If that is the case (the
      >case being that the Griz version is a knockoff of the Clausing). If so,
      >then that table is going to be smaller than the RF-45.
      >
      >I have seen BPs appear occasionally on Craigslist. If I were to go for a
      >used one, I don't think I would be willing to pay more than around
      >$1500, mainly due to the fact that I would still be worried about
      >getting a junker, and wouldn't want to put too much into it up front. It
      >has been 10 years since I last used a knee mill, and back then I didn't
      >know what I was doing. If I met one today I'm not sure if I could tell
      >what kind of shape it was in. Ah well, more to think about...
      >
      >So do you have a BP or one of the RF clones? Or better yet, one of each?
      >I am kind of interested in hearing from people who own or have used both
      >about how they performed.
      >
      >In any case, I have some time. I have put a restriction on myself of
      >getting the plumbing and electrical straightened out in the garage
      >before I get any more toys; and that should take me at least a month.
      >

      >-Matt
      >

      >--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerome Kimberlin <kimberln@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> On 8/4/2011 3:06 PM, mattdbartlett wrote:
      >> > I'm in Santa Clara, CA. Unfortunately that means that any showroom
      >is a long way away.
      >> Matt, you said there were no cheap Bridgeports in your area. Well, you
      >> are in the Bay Area and there are 2 for sale right now at less than an
      >> RF-45 will cost you, IMHO - 2700 and 2500. There is also a Clausing
      >> 8520 which is highly desirable among hobbyists. These machines are
      >> currently on Craigslist. There are even mill/drills listed on Craigslist.
      >>
      >> JerryK
      >> Richmond, CA
    • Jerry Durand
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 7, 2011
        On 08/07/2011 04:10 PM, CS Mo wrote:
        > Because of all the shavings, I went through several pumps before I put a filter on. I'm using a K&S automotive oil filter. You need to have a pretty large filter otherwise it clogs real fast.

        I've used automotive oil filters for industrial filtering with a few odd
        looks from managers but they worked great. I just had the company buy
        something like this that fit common filters:
        http://htsmall.automotion.com/assets/ppp/images/size/265x265/sku/P912282.jpg

        tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
        Skype: jerrydurand