Re: [mill_drill] Re: new article available: A Few Basic Tests to Perform on your Mill

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 6 6:03 AM
      Brian,

      I assume you are looking at version 1 of the article. I do a better job of explaining why I drew it this way plus the CNC standard in the latest version:

      On Jul 5, 2011, at 9:45 PM, Brian Bayorgeon <rakort@...> wrote:

      not to be picky, but the way you define the positive direction of your coordinates is a little off "norm" (in the picture that shows the positive direction of each axis)  The way you have your Y-axis pointing forward, the z-axis should be positive in the downward direction based on conventions of the Cartesian coordinate system.  In the later picture with the block in the vise you show Y positive towards the column which is what I would expect.  That way positive z would be upward.

      this link explains the right hand rule.

      http://www.schorsch.com/en/kbase/glossary/right-hand-rule.html

      Brian

      Message 42 of 42 , Aug 11, 2011

        Paul,

        Forgive? I’m just thrilled that you are back among us! I’m sure it was a harrowing experience. Two years ago I had abdominal surgery and was out of commission for 6 weeks. Not fun.

        As to your table not being flat, I agree that milling and/or scarping or lapping will bring it into true. I lapped mine and it was a less than enjoyable 6 hours of heavy labor.

        Until then, you may want to use soft pads to support your work. They will give you an extremely true surface since they are cut in place and not disturbed.