new article: A Low Cost and Easily Made Counterbore

  • RG Sparber
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011

      Back on May 31, 2011, Steve-S’pore of the Yahoo group gingery_machines wrote about a simple way to make a counterbore from a drill bit. This article puts a little more text and some pictures around what he said.

      If you are interested, please see

      http://rick.sparber.org/emc.pdf

      Thanks Steve!

      Rick

    • Jim S.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2011
        This is an old one I had forgotten about. We called them flat bottomed drills. First you started with a standard drill, then finished to depth with the flat bottom. If you have the equipment, you can grind a cylindrical pilot on the end and the flat bottom edges further up. Then you don't need to start the counterbore with another drill. These were common in industry years ago. Now you've got me wondering if I can grind one of these at home. Lets see, lathe, toolpost grinder, wheel turned just so. . .

        Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2011
          Jim,

          I think that as long as the counterbore's pilot hole works, that would be best for a beginner. But if you have the equipment and skill to grind in a guide pin, that would sure improve it.

          Rick