new mill cleanup

  • velocirex64
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2011
      Just cleaning the shipping goop off my new G0720 and noticed that the gibs on x and y have a poorer surface finish than that of the ways. I'm talking rough enough that I can feel my rags catching and releasing during a wipe. Not enough to shred the rag, but enough that it makes me a little uncomfortable with it.
      One thought is that they are left somewhat rough to promote oil retention, but it may also just be Chinese craftsmanship. Have other folks noticed this on their import mills and is polishing advised to clean this up or not?
      jc
    • zapvss
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
        Congrats on your new Mill, it looks like a nice machine with alot of nice features, you will like that lift motor. I bought the G0484 a couple of years ago and when I cleaned it up I noticed the same thing. I smooth the gibs by lightly going over them with a a fine stone. It didn't require much work to remove the roughness.

        After you get your machine but back together and adjusted it would be nice to let us all know how it works for you. From the looks of it, it looks like the fine feed for the quill is better then what is used by their other mills.

        Denis

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "velocirex64" <velocirex64@...> wrote:

        > Just cleaning the shipping goop off my new G0720 and noticed that the gibs on x and y have a poorer surface finish than that of the ways. I'm talking rough enough that I can feel my rags catching and releasing during a wipe. Not enough to shred the rag, but enough that it makes me a little uncomfortable with it.
        > One thought is that they are left somewhat rough to promote oil retention, but it may also just be Chinese craftsmanship. Have other folks noticed this on their import mills and is polishing advised to clean this up or not?
        > jc

      • Druid Noibn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011

          Hi JC,

          Nice system - congratulations.

          Like Denis, I also have the G0484 and saw the same thing. Also as Denis suggested - a light dressing with a fine stone is all that is needed.

          Kind regards,

          DBN

          Just cleaning the shipping goop off my new G0720 and noticed that the gibs on x and y have a poorer surface finish than that of the ways. I'm talking rough enough that I can feel my rags catching and releasing during a wipe. Not enough to shred the rag, but enough that it makes me a little uncomfortable with it.
          One thought is that they are left somewhat rough to promote oil retention, but it may also just be Chinese craftsmanship. Have other folks noticed this on their import mills and is polishing advised to clean this up or not?
          jc

        • clumsysoftballerz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
            mini-lathe dot com has a great sefton on cleaning up the gibbs and ways. lapping them enough to improve then, but not enough to prevent oil from sticking isn't a bad idea.

            I am tempted to do mine using the aluminum polish technique since I'll have it apart for my conversion this week anyways.

            basically you remove the screws, put heavy grease on the back of the gib to keep it there and leave the gib a little loose. cost the gib and ways with aluminum polish and manually push and pull it through its entire movement 30 or 50 times. clean it, and repeat with fresh aluminum polish.

            this laps the find and ways together and ensures a great fit.

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "velocirex64" <velocirex64@...> wrote:

            > Just cleaning the shipping goop off my new G0720 and noticed that the gibs on x and y have a poorer surface finish than that of the ways. I'm talking rough enough that I can feel my rags catching and releasing during a wipe. Not enough to shred the rag, but enough that it makes me a little uncomfortable with it.
            > One thought is that they are left somewhat rough to promote oil retention, but it may also just be Chinese craftsmanship. Have other folks noticed this on their import mills and is polishing advised to clean this up or not?
            > jc

          • velocirex64
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
              Thanks for the reference clumsy. After reading this I came across a huge thread on the IH support forum at CNCzone

              http://www.cnczone.com/forums/industrial_hobbies_support_forum/11874-way_lapping_scraping_gib_adjustment-10.html

              Apparently to lap or not is quite a polarizing topic! Beware though, it may leave you even more confused than when you started..

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011

                Hi,

                That was an "interesting" discussion - thanks, I think <smile>

                Be well,

                DBN

                Thanks for the reference clumsy. After reading this I came across a huge thread on the IH support forum at CNCzone

                http://www.cnczone.com/forums/industrial_hobbies_support_forum/11874-way_lapping_scraping_gib_adjustment-10.html

                Apparently to lap or not is quite a polarizing topic! Beware though, it may leave you even more confused than when you started..

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "clumsysoftballerz" <mypersonalemailaccount@...> wrote:

                > mini-lathe dot com has a great sefton on cleaning up the gibbs and ways. lapping them enough to improve then, but not enough to prevent oil from sticking isn't a bad idea.
                >
                > I am tempted to do mine using the aluminum polish technique since I'll have it apart for my conversion this week anyways.
                >
                > basically you remove the screws, put heavy grease on the back of the gib to keep it there and leave the gib a little loose. cost the gib and ways with aluminum polish and manually push and pull it through its entire movement 30 or 50 times. clean it, and repeat with fresh aluminum polish.
                >
                > this laps the find and ways together and ensures a great fit.

              • thunderclaw007
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
                  I think the issue that you are running into here is the difference from surface finish versus accuracy. Just because your gib strip has a surface finish that is rough from milling doesn't necessarily mean it is not accurately flat. The best way to check flatness is to get a surface plate and put the gib strip on it and check how flat it is. If it is bent, curved, or twisted it will show. If it looks ok, then check the bearing surfaces by putting a light coat of prussian blue on the surface plate and gently rub your gib strip on it. Depending on the thickness of the layer of prussian blue that you put on it, it will show where your gib strip contacts the plate.

                  If it contacts the whole strip and the weight is borne across the length of the strip, then it is doing just fine. If it is only touching a few areas, then the strip needs to bend, twist, or has a bump that will interfere with it moving smoothly.

                  Final note, once your gib strip is accurately flat, you can use it to check you ways also.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Bob