£6 Z Axis DRO

  • Oshb5
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011
      Hi all

      I saw a tyre depth gauge on Ebay a few weeks ago and it was just under £6 and a movement of 25mm I thought for that price i would get it and have a play around with it and see what i can make out of it. anyway after stripping it down and removing a few bits of its casing iv managed to get 42mm readable movement which is more than enough for my Sieg 1 (30mm) Iv also made another sled that will fit in place of the proper one and i think i will be able to get it to read to what ever the slide length is. So in theory i could make it up to a 300mm plus DRO but iv got the 3mm sheet on order to fully confirm this. The photos of befor as it came from Ebay and the after as it is fitted to my Sieg mill are in my Photo album AndyUK

      Regs Andy
    • Oshb5
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2011
        Hi again

        I also should have said the readout does have a socket for external readout but i have not got one as yet Also its accurate down to 0.005 on a mm Iv tried it with the fine feed winding it up and down restting part way and all types of reading and it alwayys is withing that , So i think for £6 what more can you want??
        Andy