Re: End Mill holders

  • EdwinB
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 2, 2011
      It ia also important to be clear as to what type of collet you are using. A collet that only grips on the end (like an R8) is much more prone to slippage than a collet that grips the full length of the end mill shank (like an ER32). Full-grip collets are used in production shops and they offer the advantage of using double-ended end mills.

      I will use ER32 collets with small bits for which I do not have a Weldon holder or an adapter.

      Regards,
      Ed

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "thunderclaw007" <smileygirl7977@...> wrote:

      > Dorn,
      >
      > There are pros and cons to using either. For example, the end mill holders have several tenths clearance for inserting and removing the end mill and they also have a set screw for the Weldon flat on the end mill shank. This will initially set the center of the cutter off by the clearance. Generally they last longer than collets, however when they do wear out they wear elliptically away from the set screw. Additionally, they don't need to be tightened as much as a collet due to the Weldon flat.
      >
      > Now collets on the other hand will tighten down on the end mill cutter holding it to a truer center. However they also will wear (and wear faster than a end mill holder) in a bell mouth shape with the minimal wear being in the center of the collet where the end mill is flexing the least. Another con to using a collet is that you have to tighten it more due to the fact that it is holding the end mill by friction only.
      >
      > It is usually a personal preference of what pros and cons you want to deal with in choosing which to use.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dornpeterson" <petersdw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Part of the problem of being a largely self taught machinist is that I'm sure there are large gaps in my experience base. Every once in a while I realize that there is a common tool that I never use, but since it seems to be common it must be useful for something.
      > >
      > > Case in point: endmill holders
      > >
      > > Why do people use these? What is the advantage over just slipping the endmill in the appropriate collet?
      > >
      > > Dorn

    • Jon Gellman
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 2, 2011
        I use a ER-32 collet chuck, and have never had any slippage problems at all, and never have to screw around with the drawbar unless I need to use a boring head. I can also directly chuck most drill bits down to 3/16. I've been sorely tempted to get an ER-32 adapter for 1 1/2-8 on the lathe even though I have a collet holder for it.
      • Kirk Lindstedt
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 2, 2011
          I echo the responses to this so far. I have both 1/2 and 3/8 collets and end mill holders. I have had the mill slip or worse move vertical in the collet, so I use the holder most of the time now. Keeping the end mills to these two shank sizes means I only have to have two holders of the collett or end mill holder type.
          =Kirk

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dornpeterson" <petersdw@...> wrote:

          > Part of the problem of being a largely self taught machinist is that I'm sure there are large gaps in my experience base. Every once in a while I realize that there is a common tool that I never use, but since it seems to be common it must be useful for something.
          >
          > Case in point: endmill holders
          >
          > Why do people use these? What is the advantage over just slipping the endmill in the appropriate collet?
          >
          > Dorn

        • Greg Gelhar
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 2, 2011
            Here is another reason I own end mill holders. My mill uses R-8 collets which only go to 1". (My set only goes to 3/4"). My set of end mill holders ranges from 3/16 to 1 1/4" which is handy for my largest ball end mill. Does anyone know why they don't make the 1/4" size?

            Greg Gelhar
            Osseo, MN
            Shop Fox knee mill
            Craftsman lathe
            lots of other stuff

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dornpeterson" <petersdw@...> wrote:

            > Part of the problem
            of being a largely self taught machinist is that I'm sure there are large gaps in my experience base. Every once in a while I realize that there is a common tool that I never use, but since it seems to be common it must be useful for something.

            > Case in point: endmill holders
            >
            > Why
            do people use these? What is the advantage over just slipping the endmill in the appropriate collet?

            > Dorn

          • curt wuollet
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 2, 2011
              That's one advantage of the Morse Taper spindle.
              Because of the low angle, the collets have much
              more gripping force at reasonable drawbar torque.
              And if you crank it, they have a death grip on the
              tool. However they are also firmly wedged in the
              spindle and you have to whack the drawbar with
              unreasonable force to get them to let go. Having
              found the happy medium, I haven't had trouble with
              end mills spinning or destroyed the bearings. But
              I'll bet the collets don't last as long.

              Regards

              cww

              Rick Sparber wrote:
              > I have a low cost set of collets and had problems with the end mills slipping out at the worst possible time - when hogging. I even broke a few draw bars trying to get a tighter grip. So I switched to end mill holders.
              >
              > I change end mill holders all the time but change the end mills in these holders maybe once per year. The fit is so close that I have to let the air leak out around the end mill as I push it in. I'm sure there is an offset of a few tenths but my class of work during side milling is far worse than that. This offset has no effect when cutting with the end of the end mill. Somewhere on my website is a discussion about this kind of offset. You basically cut on only one side of the cutter.
              >
              > As Bob mentioned, it takes a lot less force to lock in an end mill holder. Haven't broken a draw bar since the switch. That is a good thing because I made a custom draw bar that would be a real task to replace.
              >
              > Rick
              > rick.sparber.org
              >
              > On Jun 2, 2011, at 4:56 AM, "thunderclaw007" <smileygirl7977@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Dorn,
              >>
              >> There are pros and cons to using either. For example, the end mill holders have several tenths clearance for inserting and removing the end mill and they also have a set screw for the Weldon flat on the end mill shank. This will initially set the center of the cutter off by the clearance. Generally they last longer than collets, however when they do wear out they wear elliptically away from the set screw. Additionally, they don't need to be tightened as much as a collet due to the Weldon flat.
              >>
              >> Now collets on the other hand will tighten down on the end mill cutter holding it to a truer center. However they also will wear (and wear faster than a end mill holder) in a bell mouth shape with the minimal wear being in the center of the collet where the end mill is flexing the least. Another con to using a collet is that you have to tighten it more due to the fact that it is holding the end mill by friction only.
              >>
              >> It is usually a personal preference of what pros and cons you want to deal with in choosing which to use.
              >>
              >> Hope this helps,
              >>
              >> Bob
              >>
              >> --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dornpeterson" <petersdw@...> wrote:
              >>> Part of the problem of being a largely self taught machinist is that I'm sure there are large gaps in my experience base. Every once in a while I realize that there is a common tool that I never use, but since it seems to be common it must be useful for something.
              >>>
              >>> Case in point: endmill holders
              >>>
              >>> Why do people use these? What is the advantage over just slipping the endmill in the appropriate collet?
              >>>
              >>> Dorn

            • Bill Stietenroth
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 2, 2011
                End mill holders aren't only for holding end mills. I use collets most of the time to hold end mills because they don't take up as much head room as end mill holders. I don't do much "hogging" metal, so I have never had an end mill slip in a R-8 collet.
                What I use end mill holders for is chucking up arbors for slitting saws and milling cutters and dove tail and T slot cutters, radius cutters and large end mills that take more torque than the 5/8" and under end mills that get the most use. They are also useful on the lathe for some milling operations done there and sometimes they are handy when you need a little extra reach. I don't have a full set of end mill holders,  I just buy one when it is called for.

                Bill in Houston

                I echo the responses to this so far.  I have both 1/2 and 3/8 collets and end mill holders.  I have had the mill slip or worse move vertical in the collet, so I use the holder most of the time now.  Keeping the end mills to these two shank sizes means I only have to have two holders of the collett or end mill holder type.
                =Kirk

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dornpeterson" <petersdw@...> wrote:

                > Part of the problem of being a largely self taught machinist is that I'm sure there are large gaps in my experience base.  Every once in a while I realize that there is a common tool that I never use, but since it seems to be common it must be useful for something.
                >
                > Case in point: endmill holders
                >
                > Why do people use these?  What is the advantage over just slipping the endmill in the appropriate collet?
                >
                > Dorn

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • thunderclaw007
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 2, 2011
                  Greg,

                  Here is place to by one.
                  http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/39796/category_id/16432/product_name/R8+End+Mill+Holders+%28WT%29

                  Hope that helps,
                  Bob

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Gelhar" <greg@...> wrote:

                  > Here is another reason I own end mill holders. My mill uses R-8 collets which only go to 1". (My set only goes to 3/4"). My set of end mill holders ranges from 3/16 to 1 1/4" which is handy for my largest ball end mill. Does anyone know why they don't make the 1/4" size?
                  >

                  > Greg Gelhar
                  > Osseo, MN
                  > Shop Fox knee mill
                  > Craftsman lathe
                  > lots of other stuff
                  >

                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dornpeterson" <petersdw@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Part of the problem of being a largely self taught machinist is that I'm sure there are large gaps in my experience base. Every once in a while I realize that there is a common tool that I never use, but since it seems to be common it must be useful for something.
                  > >
                  > > Case in point: endmill holders
                  > >
                  > > Why do people use these? What is the advantage over just slipping the endmill in the appropriate collet?
                  > >
                  > > Dorn

                • Druid Noibn
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 2, 2011

                    Hi,

                    another source is <http://www.grizzly.com/products/R-8-End-Mill-Holder-5-pc-Set/G5774>

                    Also check ENCO (use-ENCO.com) or maybe CDCO <http://www.cdcotools.com/> among others.

                    Kind regards,

                    DBN

                    > Here is another reason I own end mill holders. My mill uses R-8 collets which only go to 1". (My set only goes to 3/4"). My set of end mill holders ranges from 3/16 to 1 1/4" which is handy for my largest ball end mill. Does anyone know why they don't make the 1/4" size?
                    >

                    > Greg Gelhar
                    > Osseo, MN
                    > Shop Fox knee mill
                    > Craftsman lathe
                    > lots of other stuff
                    >

                    > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dornpeterson" <petersdw@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Part of the problem of being a largely self taught machinist is that I'm sure there are large gaps in my experience base. Every once in a while I realize that there is a common tool that I never use, but since it seems to be common it must be useful for something.
                    > >
                    > > Case in point: endmill holders
                    > >
                    > > Why do people use these? What is the advantage over just slipping the endmill in the appropriate collet?
                    > >
                    > > Dorn

                  • thunderclaw007
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 3, 2011
                      Druid,

                      If you check all three places, none of them have a 1/4" R8 Holder. Ordering one is actually quite difficult because they are not a common holder. They do however carry a 3/8" which is smaller. Go ahead and check each of the places you posted, there is not a 1/4" R8 End mill holder at any of them.

                      However if you are looking for alternative place McMaster Carr has one at http://www.mcmaster.com/#end-mill-holders/=cl0esl

                      Funny thing though, MSC direct doesn't carry the 1/4" R8 holder either.

                      Just an added note for this thread, if you want the best collet vs end mill holder answer, use a shrink fit holder. Of course you have to have the induction heater and other equipment to use it properly.

                      Bob

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > another source is <http://www.grizzly.com/products/R-8-End-Mill-Holder-5-pc-Set/G5774>
                      >
                      > Also check ENCO (use-ENCO.com) or maybe CDCO <http://www.cdcotools.com/> among others.
                      > Kind regards,DBN

                    • Greg Gelhar
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 3, 2011
                        Bob,

                        Thanks for link to McMaster Carr. I learned that the 1/4 R8  end mill holder exists and also it can be had as small as 1/8 and as large as 1 1/2 inches. I've never been disappointed in the quality of anything from McMaster Carr, but I'll need to think about that $55 price tag.

                        Greg Gelhar
                        Osseo, MN
                        Shop Fox knee mill
                        Craftsman lathe
                        lots of other stuff
                        If you check all three places, none of them have a 1/4" R8 Holder. Ordering one is actually quite difficult because they are not a common holder. They do however carry a 3/8" which is smaller. Go ahead and check each of the places you posted, there is not a 1/4" R8 End mill holder at any of them.

                        However if you are looking for alternative place McMaster Carr has one at http://www.mcmaster.com/#end-mill-holders/=cl0esl

                        Funny thing though, MSC direct doesn't carry the 1/4" R8 holder either.

                        Just an added note for this thread, if you want the best collet vs end mill holder answer, use a shrink fit holder. Of course you have to have the induction heater and other equipment to use it properly.

                        Bob

                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > another source is <http://www.grizzly.com/products/R-8-End-Mill-Holder-5-pc-Set/G5774>
                        >
                        > Also check ENCO (use-ENCO.com) or maybe CDCO <http://www.cdcotools.com/> among others.
                        > Kind regards,DBN

                      • Druid Noibn
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 3, 2011

                          Hi,

                          The thought was to look at many vendors nothing more.  Lots of folks offer the items and as you noted, not in all sizes.  Heck, you could look for a local supplier, but in trade for service, they tend to be a little more expensive but often offer higher quality items.

                          While I have a set of R8 holders - I often use collets - no production or heavy steel hogging here.

                          Kind regards,

                          DBN

                          If you check all three places, none of them have a 1/4" R8 Holder. Ordering one is actually quite difficult because they are not a common holder. They do however carry a 3/8" which is smaller. Go ahead and check each of the places you posted, there is not a 1/4" R8 End mill holder at any of them.

                          However if you are looking for alternative place McMaster Carr has one at http://www.mcmaster.com/#end-mill-holders/=cl0esl

                          Funny thing though, MSC direct doesn't carry the 1/4" R8 holder either.

                          Just an added note for this thread, if you want the best collet vs end mill holder answer, use a shrink fit holder. Of course you have to have the induction heater and other equipment to use it properly.

                          Bob

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > another source is <http://www.grizzly.com/products/R-8-End-Mill-Holder-5-pc-Set/G5774>
                          >
                          > Also check ENCO (use-ENCO.com) or maybe CDCO <http://www.cdcotools.com/> among others.
                          > Kind regards,DBN

                        • thunderclaw007
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 3, 2011
                            Greg,

                            The one at Wholesale tool is only $13.25 but sometimes you get what you pay for.

                            Good luck,
                            Bob

                            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Gelhar" <greg@...> wrote:

                            > Bob,
                            >
                            > Thanks for link to McMaster Carr. I learned that the 1/4 R8 end mill holder exists and also it can be had as small as 1/8 and as large as 1 1/2 inches. I've never been disappointed in the quality of anything from McMaster Carr, but I'll need to think about that $55 price tag.
                            >
                            > Greg Gelhar
                            > Osseo, MN
                            > Shop Fox knee mill
                            > Craftsman lathe
                            > lots of other stuff

                          • EdwinB
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 3, 2011
                              The drawbar/end mill kit I got for my Atlas 618 came with a set of sleeves to adapt smaller end mills up to the 1/2" end mill holder that fit in the lathe spindle. I'm pretty sure the sleeves went down to 1/4", but it's too hot to run down to the shop to check. I have used the sleeves in the 1/2" weldon holder in the mill, but that was before I got set up for ER32 collets.