RE: [mill_drill] Re: new article available: Drill, Tap, and Counterbore

  • RG Sparber
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2011
      Denis,

      I'm ahead of schedule. The page is now marked as you requested. Let me know
      if you find any of these beginner articles too complex.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
        Rick,
        Even though you've labeled your articles as for "Beginners" and I have now owned and used my Lathe and Mill for over 3 years, I still consider myself a beginner. 20 years ago I worked for a company that made injection moulded medical parts. They also had a large mould shop on site and employed about 30 machinist. These guys were very experienced in their work. Comparing what I know now with what these guys knew back then, I am a beginner.

        I've been doing software development for over 25 years now and still enjoy it. Do I know everything about software, not at all. There are always new tricks and shortcuts to learn and many of them I've learned from beginners.

        Keep up the good work, I've enjoyed all of your articles.

        Denis

        BTW
        Your article on your "Screw cutting jig" is not on your site.

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "RG Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

        > Denis,
        >
        > I'm ahead of schedule. The page is now marked as you requested. Let me know
        > if you find any of these beginner articles too complex.
        >
        > Rick

      • EdwinB
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
          Well, I learned something today. I have a chart on the shop wall from Industrial Pipe & Steel, and it has the typical decimal/fractional/metric/letter drill/wire drill conversions. Its tap and clearance drill chart lists #10 as the clearance drill size for #10 machine screws. I've been using this chart for years.

          I was going to challenge your use of a #9 clearance drill, but when I called up tap tables on the web, they all definitely appear to call for a #9 drill. That said, I haven't had any problems using #10 clearance drills.

          Regards,
          Ed

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "RG Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

          > This is another article in my series for people new to our hobby. It deals
          > with drilling, tapping, and counterboring a hole for a Socket Head Cap Screw
          > using the technique called match drilling.
          >

          > If you are interested, please see
          >

          > http://rick.sparber.org/dtc.pdf
          >

          > Comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
          > us.
          >

          > Rick.

        • Rick Sparber
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
            Denis,

            Can you give me the broken link? All I found was

            http://rick.sparber.org/helix/helix_cut.html

            And it is ok.

            Rick
            Rick.Sparber.org