new article available: Drill, Tap, and Counterbore

  • RG Sparber
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2011

      This is another article in my series for people new to our hobby. It deals with drilling, tapping, and counterboring a hole for a Socket Head Cap Screw using the technique called match drilling.

      If you are interested, please see

      http://rick.sparber.org/dtc.pdf

      Comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

      Rick.

    • zapvss
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2011
        Hi Rick,
        Another fine writeup, thanks.
        This weekend I did some searching on your web site for the other "beginner" articles you wrote this year and couldn't find them. Can you post the URL of where you have them published?

        Thanks
        Denis

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "RG Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

        > This is another article in my series for people new to our hobby. It deals
        > with drilling, tapping, and counterboring a hole for a Socket Head Cap Screw
        > using the technique called match drilling.
        >

        > If you are interested, please see
        >

        > http://rick.sparber.org/dtc.pdf
        >

        > Comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
        > us.
        >

        > Rick.

      • RG Sparber
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2011
          Denis,

          Good point. They are all at

          http://rick.sparber.org/ma.htm

          I will modify the page tomorrow to indicate which ones are for beginners.

          Thanks for the suggestion.

          This weekend I did some searching on your web site for the other "beginner"
          articles you wrote this year and couldn't find them. Can you post the URL of
          where you have them published?

          Thanks
          Denis

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "RG Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

          > This is another article in my series for people new to our hobby. It deals
          > with drilling, tapping, and counterboring a hole for a Socket Head Cap
          Screw
          > using the technique called match drilling.
          >

          > If you are interested, please see
          >

          > http://rick.sparber.org/dtc.pdf
          >

          > Comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
          > us.
          >

          > Rick.

        • RG Sparber
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2011
            Denis,

            I'm ahead of schedule. The page is now marked as you requested. Let me know
            if you find any of these beginner articles too complex.

            This weekend I did some searching on your web site for the other "beginner"
            articles you wrote this year and couldn't find them. Can you post the URL of
            where you have them published?

            Thanks
            Denis

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "RG Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

            > This is another article in my series for people new to our hobby. It deals
            > with drilling, tapping, and counterboring a hole for a Socket Head Cap
            Screw
            > using the technique called match drilling.
            >

            > If you are interested, please see
            >

            > http://rick.sparber.org/dtc.pdf
            >

            > Comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
            > us.
            >

            > Rick.

          • zapvss
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
              Rick,
              Even though you've labeled your articles as for "Beginners" and I have now owned and used my Lathe and Mill for over 3 years, I still consider myself a beginner. 20 years ago I worked for a company that made injection moulded medical parts. They also had a large mould shop on site and employed about 30 machinist. These guys were very experienced in their work. Comparing what I know now with what these guys knew back then, I am a beginner.

              I've been doing software development for over 25 years now and still enjoy it. Do I know everything about software, not at all. There are always new tricks and shortcuts to learn and many of them I've learned from beginners.

              Keep up the good work, I've enjoyed all of your articles.

              Denis

              BTW
              Your article on your "Screw cutting jig" is not on your site.

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "RG Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

              > Denis,
              >
              > I'm ahead of schedule. The page is now marked as you requested. Let me know
              > if you find any of these beginner articles too complex.
              >
              > Rick

            • EdwinB
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2011
                Well, I learned something today. I have a chart on the shop wall from Industrial Pipe & Steel, and it has the typical decimal/fractional/metric/letter drill/wire drill conversions. Its tap and clearance drill chart lists #10 as the clearance drill size for #10 machine screws. I've been using this chart for years.

                I was going to challenge your use of a #9 clearance drill, but when I called up tap tables on the web, they all definitely appear to call for a #9 drill. That said, I haven't had any problems using #10 clearance drills.

                Regards,
                Ed

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "RG Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

                > This is another article in my series for people new to our hobby. It deals
                > with drilling, tapping, and counterboring a hole for a Socket Head Cap Screw
                > using the technique called match drilling.
                >

                > If you are interested, please see
                >

                > http://rick.sparber.org/dtc.pdf
                >

                > Comments and questions are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of
                > us.
                >

                > Rick.

              • Rick Sparber
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2011
                  Denis,

                  Can you give me the broken link? All I found was

                  http://rick.sparber.org/helix/helix_cut.html

                  And it is ok.

                  Rick
                  Rick.Sparber.org