Re: [mill_drill] DRO Sizes

  • Paul Weber
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002
      I have a 24" table with 9"y and a 6"z
      Paul Weber
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "bobbrla" <bobbrla@...>
      To: <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 8:05 PM
      Subject: [mill_drill] DRO Sizes

      > Hi guys,
      >
      > I am taking a poll on which lengths for the digital scales are the
      > best or most often used as DRO's on your mills.
      >
      > I found a cheap source and am considering an order from China.
      > My sales prices will of course be great!
      >
      > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
      >
      > Bob Bertrand
      > WWW.LATHEMASTER.COM

    • bobbrla
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
        Thanks guys,

        I will see what I can do about getting some better priced DRO's and
        Remote readouts than whats out there already.

        Bob

        > > I am taking a poll on which lengths for the digital scales are the
        > > best or most often used as DRO's on your mills.
        > >
        > > I found a cheap source and am considering an order from China.
        > > My sales prices will of course be great!
        > >
        > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
        > >
        > > Bob Bertrand
        > > WWW.LATHEMASTER.COM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • jlwas2002
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In mill_drill@y..., "bobbrla" <bobbrla@h...> wrote:
          > Hi guys,
          >
          > I am taking a poll on which lengths for the digital scales are the
          > best or most often used as DRO's on your mills.
          >
          > I found a cheap source and am considering an order from China.
          > My sales prices will of course be great!
          >
          > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
          >
          > Bob Bertrand
          > WWW.LATHEMASTER.COM

          On my RF45:

          x: 24"
          y:12"
          z:6"

          See if you can get the serial protocol for these things.
        • Eric Murray
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
            On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 01:12:57AM -0000, jlwas2002 wrote:
            > --- In mill_drill@y..., "bobbrla" <bobbrla@h...> wrote:
            > > Hi guys,
            > >
            > > I am taking a poll on which lengths for the digital scales are the
            > > best or most often used as DRO's on your mills.
            > >
            > > I found a cheap source and am considering an order from China.
            > > My sales prices will of course be great!
            > >
            > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
            > >
            > > Bob Bertrand
            > > WWW.LATHEMASTER.COM
            >
            > On my RF45:
            >
            > x: 24"
            > y:12"
            > z:6"
            >
            > See if you can get the serial protocol for these things.

            I've been searching for info on this, today I found:
            http://www.matronics.com/cncscale/

            which is a "Starret to Mitutoyo" SPC converter... evidently
            SPC isn't very standard.
            In this case, the Starret knee scale for a mill produces
            RS232-like protocol with different signal levels and
            an ASCII stream for the data. The Mitutoyo SPC uses BCD
            digits and other characters.
            The web site has board plans and 8051 code.

            Eric
          • jlwas2002
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
              --- In mill_drill@y..., Eric Murray <ericm@l...> wrote:
              > On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 01:12:57AM -0000, jlwas2002 wrote:
              > > --- In mill_drill@y..., "bobbrla" <bobbrla@h...> wrote:
              > > > Hi guys,
              > > >
              > > > I am taking a poll on which lengths for the digital scales are
              the
              > > > best or most often used as DRO's on your mills.
              > > >
              > > > I found a cheap source and am considering an order from China.
              > > > My sales prices will of course be great!
              > > >
              > > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
              > > >
              > > > Bob Bertrand
              > > > WWW.LATHEMASTER.COM
              > >
              > > On my RF45:
              > >
              > > x: 24"
              > > y:12"
              > > z:6"
              > >
              > > See if you can get the serial protocol for these things.
              >
              > I've been searching for info on this, today I found:
              > http://www.matronics.com/cncscale/
              >
              > which is a "Starret to Mitutoyo" SPC converter... evidently
              > SPC isn't very standard.
              > In this case, the Starret knee scale for a mill produces
              > RS232-like protocol with different signal levels and
              > an ASCII stream for the data. The Mitutoyo SPC uses BCD
              > digits and other characters.
              > The web site has board plans and 8051 code.
              >
              > Eric

              Eric, I have seen that site before, but thanks. The imports are using
              some different protocol. 23 bit data. I could not see any BCD info in
              the data steam. Not enough bits for ASCII data.
            • jlwas2002
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
                --- In mill_drill@y..., Eric Murray <ericm@l...> wrote:
                > On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 01:12:57AM -0000, jlwas2002 wrote:
                > > --- In mill_drill@y..., "bobbrla" <bobbrla@h...> wrote:
                > > > Hi guys,
                > > >
                > > > I am taking a poll on which lengths for the digital scales are
                the
                > > > best or most often used as DRO's on your mills.
                > > >
                > > > I found a cheap source and am considering an order from China.
                > > > My sales prices will of course be great!
                > > >
                > > > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                > > >
                > > > Bob Bertrand
                > > > WWW.LATHEMASTER.COM
                > >
                > > On my RF45:
                > >
                > > x: 24"
                > > y:12"
                > > z:6"
                > >
                > > See if you can get the serial protocol for these things.
                >
                > I've been searching for info on this, today I found:
                > http://www.matronics.com/cncscale/
                >
                > which is a "Starret to Mitutoyo" SPC converter... evidently
                > SPC isn't very standard.
                > In this case, the Starret knee scale for a mill produces
                > RS232-like protocol with different signal levels and
                > an ASCII stream for the data. The Mitutoyo SPC uses BCD
                > digits and other characters.
                > The web site has board plans and 8051 code.
                >
                > Eric

                Eric, I have seen that site before, but thanks. The imports are using
                some different protocol. 23 bit data. I could not see any BCD info in
                the data steam. Not enough bits for ASCII data.

                Jason
              • bobbrla
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2002
                  -- Hi guys,
                  I sent a request to the factory for more info. and the protocol on
                  these import units. They are supposed to get it to me soon.

                  Also they have (If I translate the Chinglish correctly) remote
                  displays that read and display output from up to 3 scales.

                  All I have seen is single displays, anyone familiar with the triple
                  unit?

                  Bob Bertrand