Re: [mill_drill] Re: Round Column Mill Anti-rotation Modification

  • Bruce Johnson
    Message 1 of 44 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hello Martin,

      Its Bruce Johnson, and I too considered the anti-rotation problem for a
      round column mill about five months ago soon after acquiring an RF-31, my
      first mill. I was advised by a local career machinist of 35 plus years of
      experience, to stay away from the round column due to the lack of
      repeatablity to index a center as you move the head up and down the column
      and he suggested I look into a small knee mill, maybe a Millrite or
      Clausing. I talked to a few more people, and a Rockwell was added to my
      prospective list. Then I started looking at the spindles and decided the
      preponderance of tooling available, (I had zip) was much greater for the R8
      spindle and the power of the Taiwan made machines was about double, and yet
      the prices were about one half on the used market. I then gave some thought
      as to what I might be making on the machine of my choice and what accuracy I
      would need. The answer was that as a newbie, accuracy was down on the list,
      and most things that I machine on my lathe that I have owned for 30 years
      are just repairs for other tools, simple turnings and bushings, etc. On the
      other hand, a resonable counter bore on a mill with decent concenticity was
      desirable. The amount of time spent on a machine was also a factor in the
      trade-offs. I kept asking myself, will I really need this parameter or
      feature in the near future.

      I decided to look into pinning the gear rack onto the column as a start,
      because I had heard just about what you heard, not to many details, and no
      data as to the end result from people who had tried this, and I figured that
      I could always move the work relative to the head to get bye for my needs.
      But in the back of my mind, I had the capability of the traditional flexible
      head movement of the smaller American made machines still imprinted. The
      result was I decided to try and come up with a modification that would let
      me keep my center for the majority of the time, but for that rare occation
      when I needed to rotate the head around the column axis, I wanted something
      that was semi-permanent and the roll pins to attach the rack to the column
      were not the solution for a couple of reasons: The first was difficulty
      getting them in and out, and secondly, I was not getting the rigidity of the
      rack against the column to maintain linearity and parallelism with the
      column axis. I did try several different combinations of pins with a
      countersunk screws on the top and bottom of the rack close to the teeth.
      This was an improvement but I still had to remove three pins equally spaced
      between the top and bottom screws.
      I then had a breakthrough and tried allen drive set screws where the three
      pins had been and clamped the rack tight while tapping through BOTH rack and
      column. I left a very small amount of material in the column thickness so
      the screws would bottom out and not drop into the column ( my column is
      still empty but I plan to fill to increase rigidity). The set screws have
      to be the right length, so that the top of the screws are just below the
      bottom of the gear teeth, and centered on the width of the rack. I had to
      do a little careful fillng on the head of one screw to match the gear tooth
      profile. I had previously measured the width of the rack at several points
      and as I recall, it was less than .001 inch over the length of the rack and
      straight using my best straightedge. Now I have 5 screws to pull using the
      same allen-T wrench and the head now swivels as it did before. You do have
      to crank the head up and down during the process to get at the center three
      screws.
      The next task was to design a better method for the head to " track" the
      gear rack. I noticed two important things as I looked at the dimensions of
      the rack and the way the head moves against the rack. The sides of the
      rack are not flat and the head travels against one side of the rack due to
      gravity and the head weight against the sloped gear teeth. The notch at the
      bottom of the head which is considerably wider than the rack is what makes
      contact with the rack side on my machine. I essentially decided to close
      this gap using a copper bar that is slightly crowned at the rack contact
      point (side) which decreases friction and it is mounted on the adjustable
      ring on the top of the head. The bar is slotted down the center allowing
      for contact adjusting pressure using two allen head cap screws and washers.
      I chose the copper since I did not want to gall the gear rack sides and I
      had it "on hand"-Any semi-soft metal would work most likely. Rack and bar
      were lubed on contact sides and on rack teeth.

      Your roller idea on a flat ground surface may be a better method over the
      long haul and should take out some column to rack error for the Z-axis but
      my method is a cheaper fix, another example of cost vs. accuracy. Speaking
      of accuracy, the bad news is I have yet to take the final data as personal
      problems and bad weather have stalled my hobbie time. When I finish, I will
      release some pictures to the group and may in the future make some direct
      comparisons between the RF and a Clausing 8520 which I have access to. Oh,
      definitely torque the head bolts using a torque wrench and use the same
      sequence each time. I would be interested to see the variation between
      machines in regard to the bolts and any differences due to the roller
      contact. I would appreciate an update on your progress if you decide to go
      ahead, and remember, where there is a will-there is a way! Best regards,
      Bruce
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 5, 2011
        My G1005 lay in someones garage floor in pieces for years and was covered in paint spatters. I used Goof Off to remove it from the whole machine. The labels survived with no wear and tear.
        The only place it didn't all come off was the black plastic around the on off switch.

        be