Centering a rotary table

  • Galway, Shannon
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010

      Does anyone have an easy trick for centering a rotary table on the spindle?  My current method is trial an error with a center finder in the chuck.  I tried using an indicator in the grooves cut into the table, but kept slipping out.  The next question is how to then center your work piece on the rotary table?

      Any help is greatly appreciated.  Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!

      Thanks,

      Shannon

    • Glenn N
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010
        Use an edge finder to locate the center of the hole in the table.  Turn a plug for the hole with a stub or a hole to align it with a collett, or collet with a pin in it.  As to locating the work it depends a bunch on what the workpiece looks like.

        Rick Sparber has some very good articles on the rotory table as well as a bunch of others that you may find helpful.

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010
          Galway, Shannon <s.galway@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have an easy trick for centering a rotary table on the
          > spindle? My current method is trial an error with a center finder in
          > the chuck. I tried using an indicator in the grooves cut into the
          > table, but kept slipping out. The next question is how to then center
          > your work piece on the rotary table?
          >

          > Any help is greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Shannon

          I use a coaxial indicator in the center hole .
          --
          Snag
          Learning keeps
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010
            The book, Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James A Harvey has a small chapter on Rotary Table Magic, well worth getting a copy.

            First you need to position the part over the true axis of the rotary Table.  Spin the rotary table and carefully bump the work piece as you watch the indicator reading. When the needle stops deflecting or reads zero the axis of the part is directly over the axis of the rotary table.  Indicator can be mounted anywhere that suits, either in the machine spindle or not.

            Next you position the spindle of the mill directly over the axis of the work piece.  With a DTI indicator or Co-Ax indicator  mounted in the mill spindle, spin the indicator around the work piece, adjusting the X and Y tables of the milling machine until the reading does not change, or reads zero.

            This method reduces the "Compound Error" of dialing in multiple features.

            Walter

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010
              Hows that work on a casting?

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010
                Glenn

                Every part has to have a "Baseline Reference Point" to work from, regardless of whether it is round, square or an irregular shaped casting.  When you are going to mount it to the rotary table you use the same basic principal as dialing in a part on a 4-Jaw chuck.  First you establish your centre point or axis of the feature that the part will be spun around.  Same as you would a crank shaft with an offset journal, and with bearing races that are centred, IE two or more axises.  Then you dial in that point over your rotary table, spinning the table like you would the spindle of the lathe.  Once your part is dialed and clamped at the zero point, you then adjust the spindle so that it is dead centre over that axis.  Now you can start rotating the part with the rotary table and know that whatever you are machining is concentric with that axis.

                There are a couple of photos in James Harvey's book showing dialing in an existing hole to which the other features are to be referenced from.  Once these features are completed you then you redial it to the next feature and work around that axis.

                If you are drilling a series of holes this will give you the 0,0 point from which you can then offset your milling table to obtain the correct bolt cirlce diameter from.  If you want to counterbore a hole, then you are set concentric to the hole and ready to go.

                Walter

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010
                  Thanks Walter,

                  I think the light just turned on :)
                  Center the reference point on the work piece on the rotary table first then locate that point under the spindle.  Like using the faceplate on the lathe to machine odd shapes.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 26, 2010
                    Glenn

                    Yup you got it.  saves trying to align a Rotary table then a work piece, besides there is no guarantee the  hole in the rotary table is perfectly concentric.

                    Walter

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 27, 2010
                      Hi Shannon,
                      I was confronted with this problem a couple of weeks ago. My 150 mm Soba rotary table has a number two morse taper.
                      I took a broken drill with an MT2 shank. As it was a but-welded drill I was able to hacksaw the taper shank off. First putting it into the taper and marking it round flush with the table. I then removed the lathe chuck and secured it into the lathe spindle with a suitable adapter. After facing off, I drilled and bored it, and finally cleaned it out with a 1/4" machine reamer.
                      When assembled in the table, a standard 1/4" dowel was fitted into the centre hole and a bush fitted on it. The bush then located the component to be machined onto the 1/4" dowel.
                      After clamping the component, the bush and dowel were removed thus allowing the component to be machined on centre.
                      Best regards,
                      Dave Shore.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 27, 2010

                        David,

                        Can you send a sketch of this?  I am having trouble picturing it.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 29, 2010
                        Hi Shannon,
                        I had to machine a Dehavilland Vampire cockpit canopy release handle.
                        So I needed to centre a 5/8" Dia hole in one end of the handle on the rotary table.
                        I've attached a few sketches and a picture of my set-up.
                        I then made another handle because the corners of the square had to be on the centre line instead of the flat!
                        I didn't need to centre the table on the spindle axis but you could locate the dowel in the spindle collet and then tighten down the rotary table.
                        All the best in 2011,
                        Dave Shore.

                        Message 12 of 23 , Dec 29, 2010
                          Dave,
                          Does the second photo show you "broaching" a square into the handle?  If so, what type of cutting tool are you using?  If not, how did you cut the square?

                          Thanks,
                          Bill Longyard
                        • David Shore
                          Message 13 of 23 , Dec 30, 2010
                          Hi Bill,
                          I built this milling machine this summer.
                          I had kept a rack and pinion for the last forty years and finally put it to use. A very useful of piece of kit. I call it a slotting head!
                          It has a tool-post which can be angled to the left or right to give the tool side clearance.
                          The tool, is a 3/8" square HSS lathe tool.
                          The first job I used it for was to cut two 3/16" key-ways in a gear for my neighbours lathe.
                          Attached, a couple of pics.
                          regards,
                          Dave.

                          Message 14 of 23 , Dec 30, 2010
                            I'm not sure why the first picture is on its side but it needs rotating 90 degrees clockwise.
                            Regards to all,
                            Dave.

                            [Attachment(s) from David Shore included below]

                            Message 15 of 23 , Dec 30, 2010
                              VERY impressive!  You've just inspired me to work harder on my projects.

                              Bill Longyard

                              Message 16 of 23 , Dec 30, 2010
                                David, I really like your home built mill. Use of the gear rack was very clever.
                                I also built my own mill.
                                Hard to describe the satisfaction of using it.
                                I used the plans from HSM back in 2001. But due to a major change
                                of health and lifestyle, I didn't finish it until 2009.

                                I wonder how many others have built non-Gingery mills. I did use Gingery techniques, like casting the headstock, and I used my Gingery shaper on it also.
                                Here are some links to it in use.

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on09SepO5eU

                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXqqhu7FHpU

                                Have a look at my other vids while you are there.

                                Larry in WV

                                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, David Shore <dcacshore@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Bill,
                                > I built this milling machine this summer.
                                > I had kept a rack and pinion for the last forty years and finally put it to
                                > use. A very useful of piece of kit. I call it a slotting head!
                                > It has a tool-post which can be angled to the left or right to give the tool
                                > side clearance.
                                > The tool, is a 3/8" square HSS lathe tool.
                                > The first job I used it for was to cut two 3/16" key-ways in a gear for my
                                > neighbours lathe.
                                > Attached, a couple of pics.
                                > regards,
                                > Dave.
                                >
                                > On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM, William Longyard
                                > <longyard@...>wrote:
                                >

                                > > Dave,
                                > > Does the second photo show you "broaching" a square into the handle? If
                                > > so, what type of cutting tool are you using? If not, how did you cut the
                                > > square?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > > Bill Longyard

                              • Druid Noibn
                                Message 17 of 23 , Dec 30, 2010
                                  Hi Larry,

                                  That is really some nice bit of machine building - congratulations.

                                  What did you make the square column out of? It reminds me of the '45 type mill/drills.

                                  Be well,
                                  DBN

                                  David, I really like your home built mill. Use of the gear rack was very clever.
                                  I also built my own mill.
                                  Hard to describe the satisfaction of using it.
                                  I used the plans from HSM back in 2001. But due to a major change
                                  of health and lifestyle, I didn't finish it until 2009.

                                  I wonder how many others have built non-Gingery mills. I did use Gingery techniques, like casting the headstock, and I used my Gingery shaper on it also.
                                  Here are some links to it in use.

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on09SepO5eU

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXqqhu7FHpU

                                  Have a look at my other vids while you are there.

                                  Larry in WV

                                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, David Shore <dcacshore@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Bill,
                                  > I built this milling machine this summer.
                                  > I had kept a rack and pinion for the last forty years and finally put it to
                                  > use. A very useful of piece of kit. I call it a slotting head!
                                  > It has a tool-post which can be angled to the left or right to give the tool
                                  > side clearance.
                                  > The tool, is a 3/8" square HSS lathe tool.
                                  > The first job I used it for was to cut two 3/16" key-ways in a gear for my
                                  > neighbours lathe.
                                  > Attached, a couple of pics.
                                  > regards,
                                  > Dave.
                                  >
                                  > On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM, William Longyard
                                  > <longyard@...>wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > Dave,
                                  > > Does the second photo show you "broaching" a square into the handle? If
                                  > > so, what type of cutting tool are you using? If not, how did you cut the
                                  > > square?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks,
                                  > > Bill Longyard

                                • Galway, Shannon
                                  Message 18 of 23 , Dec 30, 2010

                                    David,

                                    Thanks for the sketch.  A picture truly is worth a thousand words.  I am going to have to give this a go.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Shannon Galway, P.E.

                                    Engineering Manager

                                    Friede & Goldman, Ltd.

                                    s.galway@...

                                    (713) 952-3444

                                    Confidentiality Notice:  This electronic message transmission contains confidential or privileged information. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender by telephone at (713) 952-3444 immediately.

                                    Message 19 of 23 , Dec 30, 2010
                                      Thanks DBN.

                                      The column is just 4 x 4 square tubing. I had to mill a flat on it for the main plate. In this grade of structural tubing, there aren't any truly flat sides. They are all a bit concave.
                                      Fortunately, my dad has a mill drill, so that made it easy. I didn't get my mill drill till March of this year.

                                      I'm not sure what you mean about the '45 mill drills. I been a machinist for 36 years, but I am not up on mill drill talk yet.

                                      Larry in WV

                                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Larry,
                                      >
                                      > That is really some nice bit of machine building - congratulations.
                                      >
                                      > What did you make the square column out of? It reminds me of the '45 type mill/drills.
                                      >
                                      > Be well,
                                      > DBN

                                    • Druid Noibn
                                      Message 20 of 23 , Dec 30, 2010
                                        Hi Larry,

                                        There is a series of mill-drills called '45 - copied from a model designed by Rong Fu of Taiwan.

                                        The "feature" of these square column units - deemed better than the round column types - is that registration is not lost on raising the head.

                                        The column on your rather nice system reminded me on these units.

                                        Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

                                        Kind regards,
                                        DBN

                                        The column is just 4 x 4 square tubing. I had to mill a flat on it for the main plate. In this grade of structural tubing, there aren't any truly flat sides. They are all a bit concave.
                                        Fortunately, my dad has a mill drill, so that made it easy. I didn't get my mill drill till March of this year.

                                        I'm not sure what you mean about the '45 mill drills. I been a machinist for 36 years, but I am not up on mill drill talk yet.

                                        Larry in WV

                                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Larry,
                                        >
                                        > That is really some nice bit of machine building - congratulations.
                                        >
                                        > What did you make the square column out of? It reminds me of the '45 type mill/drills.
                                        >
                                        > Be well,
                                        > DBN

                                      • largrin
                                        Message 21 of 23 , Dec 31, 2010
                                          Thanks for that info, DBN.
                                          I was familiar with the mills, but not the '45 designation.

                                          I understand that some would think that a fixed column would be better.
                                          And, in a way, they are.
                                          To be able to raise and lower the head while holding the true center is nice.
                                          Those are really nice machines.
                                          And no doubt, it would be very rigid. But I have not found rigidity to
                                          be an issue.

                                          For me, that column design would also be a tradeoff, because it would limit versatility.

                                          For example, when I built my shaper, I had to drill and ream the end of the ram.
                                          Due to the length of the part, it wouldn't have fit in the mill/drill because the distance from the table to the spindle was too short. To make it work, I would have had to shorten a drill bit and a chucking reamer.
                                          The solution was to clamp the part to the backside of the table, so it that hung down lower than could be done from the top of the table. Then the headstock was rotated around to reach the part.

                                          That is just one reason I like the round column. To each his own, I guess.

                                          As for more of my work, most worth seeing is on the videos I posted on YouTube.

                                          Larry in WV

                                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Larry,
                                          >
                                          > There is a series of mill-drills called '45 - copied from a model designed by Rong Fu of Taiwan.
                                          >
                                          > The "feature" of these square column units - deemed better than the round column types - is that registration is not lost on raising the head.
                                          >
                                          > The column on your rather nice system reminded me on these units.
                                          >
                                          > Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
                                          >
                                          > Kind regards,
                                          > DBN

                                        • Elliott Paul Connor, CML, GSAIT
                                          Message 22 of 23 , Nov 1, 2012
                                            Please forgive me but I see a lot of discussions regarding the work using the mill and not just mill (model type) specific questions. Also, please forgive me as I am a new guy at milling and am learning it on my own through reading and youtube videos.

                                            I have a rotary table and think that I want to use it. I know that sounds odd, but I have an idea to do something and I think this is the best way to do it. It may not be, but learning by doing something wrong or the hard way has always worked for me.

                                            I have mounted the rotary table to my mill's table and I think (there's that word again) I need to center it under my spindle. This is what I have done. I used an edge finder to find the highest point of the tables circumference on the left side of my x axis. I then zeroed the DRO and repeated the process for the right side of the rotary table. I then used my 1/2 function on the DRO and set my x axis 0 to that. I then repeated those steps for the y axis. Dialing to 0,0 looks pretty darn close to me.

                                            So, here is the question. Was it really that simple? I looked online for about an hour or so and could not find any simple explanations as to what to do. The process I mentioned above is what I came up with on my own.

                                            The follow up question is as follows. Should I have mounted my work piece to the rotary table first and then centered that?

                                            Thank you for any assistance you might be able to impart without laughing too hard at my attempts.

                                            Elliott
                                          • Paul
                                            Message 23 of 23 , Nov 1, 2012

                                              Try this .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY2crpjhL3E&feature=related   subscribe to Mr. Pete’s  channel and  watch the hours go by