Jet JMD18

  • rfullon@att.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 27, 2010
      I am currently in the market for a mill. I have come across a Jet JMD18 in my local craigslist. I run full size Bridgeport machines for a living and am wondering if this smaller mill will disappoint me. Advice and opinions would be helpful. Thanks.
    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 27, 2010
        All I can say is that if I ran a Bridgeport during the day, anything less
        would be... less.

        I run a RF30 and have for about 20 years and enjoy it a lot. Clearly my
        experience is vastly different from yours.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 27, 2010
          Hi,

          If by "disappoint" you mean that the Jet is expected to be comparable to the Bridgeport - yes, you will be disappointed.

          Jet makes some nice machines, and as you are experienced, you will likely get good use out if it.

          Kind regards,
          DBN

          I am currently in the market for a mill. I have come across a Jet JMD18 in my local craigslist. I run full size Bridgeport machines for a living and am wondering if this smaller mill will disappoint me. Advice and opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

        • Bill Stietenroth
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 27, 2010
            I would think your experience would give you the knowledge about what to expect from the smaller, bench top machine that weighs about 1/4th what the full size Bridgeport weighs. If you want to do small hobby shop type jobs on it you will be pleased with what it will do. The biggest drawback to these round column mill drills is the 5" quill stroke and the fact you can't raise and lower the head during an operation without loosing your work / tool alignment like you can with a dovetail knee or column, so you have to plan your tool useage much more carefully.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
              Yes of course I understand that I will not be able to take as big of cuts and use some of the tools I use on a bridgeport. I should have been more specific, are these small mills accurate and rigid enough to do some small work around the house. I also am looking to do some prototyping in which speed is not an isue but accuracy is. I do appreciate the input, I had not thought about the issue concerning the round column instead of a knee on a bridgeport. thanks again for your coments.

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Stietenroth" <k5zty@...> wrote:

              > I would think your experience would give you the knowledge about what to expect from the smaller, bench top machine that weighs about 1/4th what the full size Bridgeport weighs. If you want to do small hobby shop type jobs on it you will be pleased with what it will do. The biggest drawback to these round column mill drills is the 5" quill stroke and the fact you can't raise and lower the head during an operation without loosing your work / tool alignment like you can with a dovetail knee or column, so you have to plan your tool useage much more carefully.
              >
              > Bill

            • yahoogroups
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
                I bought an Enco square column mill on sale with free shipping for
                ~$1300. You might consider waiting for another sale. They do it a
                couple times a year. While certainly not a Bridgeport it is nicer
                than my worn out Grizzly round column mill which it replaced. Buying
                Chinese machinery can be a crap shoot regardless of the brand you buy.
                Grizzly and Enco have really good customer service. I've not heard
                any reports on Jet equipment.

                Fergus

                > Yes of course I understand that I will not be able to take as big of
                > cuts and use some of the tools I use on a bridgeport. I should have
                > been more specific, are these small mills accurate and rigid enough to
                > do some small work around the house. I also am looking to do some
                > prototyping in which speed is not an isue but accuracy is. I do
                > appreciate the input, I had not thought about the issue concerning the
                > round column instead of a knee on a bridgeport. thanks again for your
                > coments.
                >
                > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Stietenroth" <k5zty@...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> I would think your experience would give you the knowledge about
                >> what to expect from the smaller, bench top machine that weighs about
                >> 1/4th what the full size Bridgeport weighs. If you want to do small
                >> hobby shop type jobs on it you will be pleased with what it will do.
                >> The biggest drawback to these round column mill drills is the 5"
                >> quill stroke and the fact you can't raise and lower the head during
                >> an operation without loosing your work / tool alignment like you can
                >> with a dovetail knee or column, so you have to plan your tool useage
                >> much more carefully.
                >>
                >> Bill

              • Gregg
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010

                  I have a 2nd hand JMD-18. While it’s not a Bridgeport. It is a great machine. You have to work around its limitations.

                  Since you’re a seasoned machinists you should not have any issues.

                  Gregg

                  Yes of course I understand that I will not be able to take as big of cuts and use some of the tools I use on a bridgeport. I should have been more specific, are these small mills accurate and rigid enough to do some small work around the house. I also am looking to do some prototyping in which speed is not an isue but accuracy is. I do appreciate the input, I had not thought about the issue concerning the round column instead of a knee on a bridgeport. thanks again for your coments.

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Stietenroth" <k5zty@...> wrote:

                  > I would think your experience would give you the knowledge about what to
                  expect from the smaller, bench top machine that weighs about 1/4th what the full size Bridgeport weighs. If you want to do small hobby shop type jobs on it you will be pleased with what it will do. The biggest drawback to these round column mill drills is the 5" quill stroke and the fact you can't raise and lower the head during an operation without loosing your work / tool alignment like you can with a dovetail knee or column, so you have to plan your tool useage much more carefully.

                  > Bill

                • cuttysark71
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 29, 2010
                    You'll get the full spectrum of answers to your question. Here's my 2 cents. I'm a tool maker turned engineer, so have spent a lot of time using full size Bridgeport mills and bigger mills, and jig borers, etc. If the machine you are looking at has been tuned up by it's current owner or you are willing and able to tear down the machine and do the work yourself, go for it. These machines are fine after all of the hand work that the off-shore OEM's don't do to keep the prices down does get done by the owner. I'm talking about de-burring, scraping ways if needed, aligning things, etc. I'd also recommend adding a DRO, even an inexpensive one if you can. The lead screws and nuts in these machines are as tightly machined as they should be and there is some non-linearity to them.

                    Bottom line, given the limits of the machine's work envelop, and lower mass than a full size knee mill to soak up vibration, mill/drills will do anything a Bridgeport will do but it will take a little longer. You can hog out material as fast as you can on a Bridgeport, but you can still get the job done. You might also have to reposition the work if its too large to be machined in one setup given the travel on each axis. Also, if you're getting a round column machine you will need to plan ahead to minimize or eliminate head height moves. You can always "find" the part again if necessary after the move. (A set of screw machine length drill bits help a lot here).

                    When I was serving my tool maker's apprenticeship the master I studied under had a line he used on me everytime I complained about a machine or tool. He said "Its a piss poor craftsman that blames his tools". Well he was right then, and it holds true to this day. If you pay attention to details, and refine your machinist skills (if necessary) you can do anything with one of these machines that you can do on a full size knee mill, period.

                    Rick Sparber has written a lot of great articles about getting the most out of your mill/drill and chasing down sources of error for the best dimensional tolerances you can get on these machines. You probably want to read them also to get more information about what needs tuning up on these machines. I bought my HF 33686 used and disassembled it as soon as I got it home. Took me a couple of months working in my spare time to get it cleaned up, painted and reassembled and tuned up, but it was worth every bit of the effort. There are a few pictures in the "cutty's shop" folder here.
                  • rfullon@att.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 29, 2010
                      Thank you very much for your opinion. What it really comes down to is size and price. I really don't have the space to dedicate to a bridgeport so a mill/drill would be perfect. On the other hand there are many tool shops going under in my area and the market is flooded with bridgeports. In the last two weeks I have seen two knee mills go for under $900 while the JMD18 I spoke of earlier is listed for $800. Obviously as far as investment goes the bridgeport is the way to go, it just comes down to space. As a fellow toolmaker I am use to taking large cuts with fast feed rates so I am hesitant to downsize knowing that I will have to change the way I do things. thanks again for the input.
                    • Starlight Tool Services Ltd
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 29, 2010
                        I weighed over the same decision a few years ago, get a mill drill or a knee mill.  I finally opted for the knee mill and I am glad I did.  Yes it takes up a bit more space in the shop, but it has allowed me the room to play that the mill drill would not have.

                        One of the first things I did was sell off the drill press as that was a function that the knee mill did, and did a better job of it.  So in effect I replaced one machine in order to get the mill, but I eneded up displacing a few more.  All that considered, the area that the knee mill takes up is not much larger than the are the mill drill would have taken up, once you account for table travel, and work room.  If you are working in the centre of a long piece, you still need room on each end to feed the stock.

                        Not that the mill drills do not have their place, because they do and amazing work can be done on them.

                        Walter

                        Thank you very much for your opinion. What it really comes down to is size and price. I really don't have the space to dedicate to a bridgeport so a mill/drill would be perfect. On the other hand there are many tool shops going under in my area and the market is flooded with bridgeports. In the last two weeks I have seen two knee mills go for under $900 while the JMD18 I spoke of earlier is listed for $800. Obviously as far as investment goes the bridgeport is the way to go, it just comes down to space. As a fellow toolmaker I am use to taking large cuts with fast feed rates so I am hesitant to downsize knowing that I will have to change the way I do things. thanks again for the input.

                      • gellfex
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 30, 2010
                          I have a Jet 16, and use it professionally. With a good vise, a power feed, and at least a simple quill dro, it does great work on the small parts I make. I would prefer a Bridgeport if I had the room and could get it into the shop, but I can't. While you may be able to buy that Bridgeport for essentially the same as a mill/drill, the former you can break down and toss into an SUV or pickup, while the latter 2000 lb tool you will need to pay riggers to move, and that will possibly cost more than the purchase. Something to consider not just now, but if you anticipate ever moving your shop in the future.