Re: [mill_drill] HF 33686 Bearings

  • Art Eckstein
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
      I recently had to replace the bearings on my RF31 spindle and used

      30207J Bearing lower spindle 35mm x 72mm x 18.25mm
      30206J Bearing upper spindle 30mm x 62mm x 17.25mm

      Hope this helps. OH and by the way, I got them from MSC (usual disclaimer)

      bubba

      At 06:18 PM 11/18/2010, you wrote:
      >On 11/18/2010 7:24 AM, gmiller4396 wrote:
      >
      > > I've read on this list, the bearing numbers are 30206&
      > > 30207. Is that correct?
      >
      >30206 is a valid bearing number, 30207 is not.
      >

      > > Read recently, someone said to use NSK 30206& 07 with a
      > > P5 rating . I got a quote from a bearing supplier and was
      > > wondering what others have paid for these bearings.
      >
      >Not sure why a tapered roller bearing would have any
      >qualifiers added to it like P5. It isn't like a regular
      >bearing where the fit is selected. I'd guess the finish
      >could be selected (surface RMS) but don't know if that would
      >really matter. A 30206 is about $7.00. It's an automotive
      >tapered wheel bearing.
      >

      > > My manual says the bearings are 302061& E3020671
      > > ???????
      >
      >I agree, what do those extra numbers mean?
      >

      > > Any other recommendations for replacement bearings.
      >
      >I get my bearings from http://www.vxb.com/ Never had any
      >trouble with them. They are probably Chinese bearings,
      >though. They do have Nachi bearings too which are good, if
      >it turns out that you have bearings other than tapered
      >roller bearings.
      >
      > > Would be nice to have the bearings before I tear things
      > > down, but the cost I got for the NSK says I need to wait,
      > > unless I'm sure they are right.
      >
      >I wouldn't do that. Check the bearings that are in there
      >first, even if it costs you a few days wait.
      >
      >JerryK
    • gmiller4396
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
        Looked up the MSC bearing and it came up as an SKF bearing, which from what I have seen lately, is a good bearing.

        I had the same SKF bearing number, and the bearing supplier I've been dealing with said these are not high precision grade bearings in an ABEC-5 rating or better. He called SKF and they said they don't make the bearing in a higher grade than Normal. Very good bearings, but not "high precision" like ABEC-5 and better.

        The quote I got for the NSK in an ABEC-5 was for $185 for the set, plus tax.

        I also found some earlier postings on the list that talked about using bearings from Consolidated Bearings that were ABEC-5...P-5 rated.

        I've been dealing with getting bearings for my lathe too, and from what I found, nothing comes easy, or simple.

        Just don't know if it's worth upgrading to a high precision bearing, or what to do, so it looks like another learning experience is going to happen.

        Mark

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

        > I recently had to replace the bearings on my RF31 spindle and used
        >
        > 30207J Bearing lower spindle 35mm x 72mm x 18.25mm
        > 30206J Bearing upper spindle 30mm x 62mm x 17.25mm
        >

        > Hope this helps. OH and by the way, I got them from MSC (usual disclaimer)
        >
        > bubba

      • Art Eckstein
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
          Based on some things that I read when I blew my origional bearings
          (swarf in them), these machines aren't really all that accurate to
          begin with to be putting really good bearings in them! I haven't had
          a problem with mine since I used the SKFs and feel they are better
          than the original whatevers that came in there!

          Country

          At 09:00 PM 11/18/2010, you wrote:
          >Looked up the MSC bearing and it came up as an SKF bearing, which
          >from what I have seen lately, is a good bearing.
          >
          >I had the same SKF bearing number, and the bearing supplier I've
          >been dealing with said these are not high precision grade bearings
          >in an ABEC-5 rating or better. He called SKF and they said they
          >don't make the bearing in a higher grade than Normal. Very good
          >bearings, but not "high precision" like ABEC-5 and better.
          >
          >The quote I got for the NSK in an ABEC-5 was for $185 for the set, plus tax.
          >
          >I also found some earlier postings on the list that talked about
          >using bearings from Consolidated Bearings that were ABEC-5...P-5 rated.
          >
          >I've been dealing with getting bearings for my lathe too, and from
          >what I found, nothing comes easy, or simple.
          >
          >Just don't know if it's worth upgrading to a high precision bearing,
          >or what to do, so it looks like another learning experience is going to happen.
          >
          >Mark
          >

          >--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently had to replace the bearings on my RF31 spindle and used
          > >
          > > 30207J Bearing lower spindle 35mm x 72mm x 18.25mm
          > > 30206J Bearing upper spindle 30mm x 62mm x 17.25mm
          > >

          > > Hope this helps. OH and by the way, I got them from MSC (usual disclaimer)
          > >
          > > bubba

        • gmiller4396
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
            Also, some other info I have found lately.

            If there is a number on an existing bearing, bearing numbers Do Not always cross reference to those numbers.

            My existing 5207 bearing is the same as SKF 5207. (if they still made it, even though they still show it)

            My existing 3206 is a single row ball bearing, but 3206 is a double angular bearing in SKF. My existing bearing maked 3206 is 206 in SKF, and it's a 6206 in NACHI ???????????

            SKF normal bearings are C, Co rated, and if they are not, then they say it in the bearing number by adding C3 as an example.

            MRC normal rating is C3, but doesn't say that, and will say it if it's something else, the opposite of SKF, which owns MRC.

            Talking to bearing people is like talking to Rainman.

            Mark

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gmiller4396" <gmiller4396@...> wrote:

            > Looked up the MSC bearing and it came up as an SKF bearing, which from what I have seen lately, is a good bearing.
            >
            > I had the same SKF bearing number, and the bearing supplier I've been dealing with said these are not high precision grade bearings in an ABEC-5 rating or better. He called SKF and they said they don't make the bearing in a higher grade than Normal. Very good bearings, but not "high precision" like ABEC-5 and better.
            >
            > The quote I got for the NSK in an ABEC-5 was for $185 for the set, plus tax.
            >
            > I also found some earlier postings on the list that talked about using bearings from Consolidated Bearings that were ABEC-5...P-5 rated.
            >
            > I've been dealing with getting bearings for my lathe too, and from what I found, nothing comes easy, or simple.
            >
            > Just don't know if it's worth upgrading to a high precision bearing, or what to do, so it looks like another learning experience is going to happen.
            >
            > Mark
            >

            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I recently had to replace the bearings on my RF31 spindle and used
            > >
            > > 30207J Bearing lower spindle 35mm x 72mm x 18.25mm
            > > 30206J Bearing upper spindle 30mm x 62mm x 17.25mm
            > >

            > > Hope this helps. OH and by the way, I got them from MSC (usual disclaimer)
            > >
            > > bubba

          • gmiller4396
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
              Thank you for your info on the SKF bearings. From what I have seen of the specs on the SKF, they are very good bearings and most likely much better than original. Especially since I'm finding the "normal" grade of bearing is now a C3.

              I thought about the SKF and wondered if they were ok in the machine.

              The higher precision bearings have been mentioned in the past, so I'm also looking at them, you can't go wrong with a higher grade bearing, but not at $185 for a set.

              Thank you for your feedback. Info like yours is what makes this such a good group to follow.

              Thanks.

              Mark

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

              > Based on some things that I read when I blew my origional bearings
              > (swarf in them), these machines aren't really all that accurate to
              > begin with to be putting really good bearings in them! I haven't had
              > a problem with mine since I used the SKFs and feel they are better
              > than the original whatevers that came in there!
              >
              > Country
              >

              > At 09:00 PM 11/18/2010, you wrote:
              > >Looked up the MSC bearing and it came up as an SKF bearing, which
              > >from what I have seen lately, is a good bearing.
              > >
              > >I had the same SKF bearing number, and the bearing supplier I've
              > >been dealing with said these are not high precision grade bearings
              > >in an ABEC-5 rating or better. He called SKF and they said they
              > >don't make the bearing in a higher grade than Normal. Very good
              > >bearings, but not "high precision" like ABEC-5 and better.
              > >
              > >The quote I got for the NSK in an ABEC-5 was for $185 for the set, plus tax.
              > >
              > >I also found some earlier postings on the list that talked about
              > >using bearings from Consolidated Bearings that were ABEC-5...P-5 rated.
              > >
              > >I've been dealing with getting bearings for my lathe too, and from
              > >what I found, nothing comes easy, or simple.
              > >
              > >Just don't know if it's worth upgrading to a high precision bearing,
              > >or what to do, so it looks like another learning experience is going to happen.
              > >
              > >Mark

            • Cliff. Johnston
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                I can recall a similar thread on another group. The accepted opinion was
                that one can "go wrong" with a higher precision set of bearings as the
                spindles are, more often than not, not that precision ground. The SKF
                bearings that you are discussing here are in the "group" of bearings that
                they considered better than the original but not to the point where the
                expenditure of cash had reached the point of diminishing returns.

                Cliff.
                “May the best you’ve ever seen,
                Be the worst you’ll ever see,”
                From A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                  I have been surprised to find name-brand bearings in the spindles of several cheap Chinese machines that I've worked on.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                    Perhaps some of them have gotten the hint that cheap bearings cost more to
                    replace under warranty than installing better ones to start with. The big
                    problem is that it's very difficult to tell just which piece of Made in
                    China machinery has name-brand bearings...

                    Cliff.
                    “May the best you’ve ever seen,
                    Be the worst you’ll ever see,”
                    From A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                      It's all about the supply line.  All manufacturers place orders with multiple suppliers and whatever comes in is used to keep the production line moving.  Sometimes you'll luck out and getting more for your money.  Other times it's like getting a Chevy engine when you buy a Cadillac.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                        I believe that I'll pass on the craps shoot...

                        Cliff.
                        “May the best you’ve ever seen,
                        Be the worst you’ll ever see,”
                        From A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                          Hello Cliff. As a possible way of learning something new, may I ask how a higher grade, or precision bearing would be wrong.

                          I assume a "precision" bearing is just a " tighter bearing" and would have even less "slop". I would assume it might hold the spindle to a tigher tolerance, because the spinning spindle is being held by the tigher tolerance bearing, which would be even better.

                          I kinda look at it like octane in gas, maybe my engine will run better and more efficient, maybe not, but going higher doesn't hurt, just costs more, but if it does help, great.

                          I don't see how a bearing can be to good, just maybe not worth the extra cost? Why could it be wrong?

                          Just looking for answers to life's situations and hoping to learn something new, or at least just enough to be dangerous. (smile)

                          Thanks
                          Mark

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff. Johnston" <moments-in-time@...> wrote:

                          > I can recall a similar thread on another group. The accepted opinion was
                          > that one can "go wrong" with a higher precision set of bearings as the
                          > spindles are, more often than not, not that precision ground. The SKF
                          > bearings that you are discussing here are in the "group" of bearings that
                          > they considered better than the original but not to the point where the
                          > expenditure of cash had reached the point of diminishing returns.
                          >
                          > Cliff.
                          > "May the best you've ever seen,
                          > Be the worst you'll ever see,"
                          > From A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay
                        • Cliff. Johnston
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                            I recall another thread on a lathe site on which a U.S. distributor contributed his buying experiences in China. According to him, whoever buys a private-labeled machine from a Chinese maker sets down his specifications in a written contract, this includes the make of bearings, accessories, etc.. Once the order is fulfilled the distributor accepts all warranty repairs/replacement costs himself. There is no recourse against the manufacturer. So, if one buys a Chinese machine and finds name-brand bearings in it then this was specified by the distributor if the machine was private-labeled.

                            Cliff.
                            “May the best you’ve ever seen,
                            Be the worst you’ll ever see,”
                            From A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                              Mark,

                              As I recall from the thread the view was that the precision of the machine
                              is limited by both the quality of the bearings and the precision grinding of
                              the spindle. So, one can buy the most costly bearings, but if the spindle
                              is not of comparable quality then there will still be "slop". Both the
                              bearings and the spindle need to be of equal and comparable quality. Yes,
                              using higher quality bearings will give you some benefit even if miniscule,
                              but the cost vs. benefit ratio soon makes spending more money on higher
                              quality bearings not cost effective as you don't gain that much.

                              Cliff.
                              “May the best you’ve ever seen,
                              Be the worst you’ll ever see,”
                              From A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                                I should add that the same engineer stated that we do not see in the U.S. the higher quality machines that are being made in China. His comment was that the best machines are unequalled and would surprise most people as it caught him totally by surprise. Why don't we see them? China has set up incentives for Chinese manufacturers to retool using better quality, Chinese-made machinery. They buy and use most of them themselves. As for one of the manufacturing plants that he visited, he said that he saw engineers using and monitoring the CNC machinery and not machinists. They were constantly looking for ways to improve both the machinery and the production. We don't see this in the U.S. very often as it's not cost effective.

                                Cliff.
                                “May the best you’ve ever seen,
                                Be the worst you’ll ever see,”
                                From A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                                  I used the NSK P5 bearings in my Enco mill drill & they made a vast improvement.

                                  Click here for photos & short write up.