Re: [mill_drill] milling with a drill press

  • Starlight Tool Services Ltd
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2010
      If the drill press does not have a draw bar, then you are asking for trouble trying to use it as a mill regardless of which holders you use. MT, ER or whatever as you still have a MT taper that can spin out or on the small ones just a Jacobs Taper on the end of the spindle.  Neither will hold up to side loads without releasing at the worst possible time.

      I would hold onto the Trusty RF-30  and get rid of the drill press as the RF-30 is a milling drilling machine.

      Walter

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2010
        I'd much rather drill with a milldrill than
        mill with a drill press, they're just not
        made for it. Maybe a mini-milldrill would
        fit?

        Regards

        cww

        tallgitawr wrote:
        > HI
        > Because of reduced space in my new location, I am going to sell my trusty RF-30.
        >
        > And since this site is a wellspring of experience and machine shop info, I hope someone can answer a question for me about a drill press to replace the mill.
        >
        > I already have an X-Y table, and I purchased a used drill press with a 5/8 chuck. But, surprise ! The chuck is a taper style, and falls off when I try to mill with it, due to the necessary chatter, even if I go slow.
        >
        > Question. Does someone know of a drill press from Harbor Freight or Grizzly or anywhere else, that has a threaded chuck ?
        >
        > Most ads don't specify, and you cant tell by looking at the pics.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your time
        > Felix

      • Steven Vine
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
          I'll second that. I was rushing on a job and  'quickly' set up a milling cutter in the drill press to true up a small edge. The chuck got pulled out, then all hell broke lose. It wasn't pretty. I was ok, the metal, vice and cutter were not.

          Steve

          To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
          From: starlight_tools@...
          Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 21:13:14 -0700

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
            I totally agree.  I've already made that mistake and it was expensive to undo.  Keep the mill and dump the DP

          • david@fignoggle - IMAP
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
              this is what can happen:
              http://www.fignoggle.com/tooling/figNoggle_oopsDrillChuck.jpg