Re: [mill_drill] milling with a drill press

  • Neal Daniel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2010
      I am a newbie on this site, and this is my 1st post. Have 30 years experience in machining, but most of it is on CNC lathes.  I have programmed and ran everything from the 2000C Fanuc's up to Maztrol's. Enough from myself.
      To answer his question, If the drill press has a Morse tapered spindle, (most of the bigger one's do) then you can use a er style collets holder with it. They you may be able to do light milling with it.
      Neal Daniel
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2010
        If the drill press does not have a draw bar, then you are asking for trouble trying to use it as a mill regardless of which holders you use. MT, ER or whatever as you still have a MT taper that can spin out or on the small ones just a Jacobs Taper on the end of the spindle.  Neither will hold up to side loads without releasing at the worst possible time.

        I would hold onto the Trusty RF-30  and get rid of the drill press as the RF-30 is a milling drilling machine.

        Walter

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2010
          I'd much rather drill with a milldrill than
          mill with a drill press, they're just not
          made for it. Maybe a mini-milldrill would
          fit?

          Regards

          cww

          tallgitawr wrote:
          > HI
          > Because of reduced space in my new location, I am going to sell my trusty RF-30.
          >
          > And since this site is a wellspring of experience and machine shop info, I hope someone can answer a question for me about a drill press to replace the mill.
          >
          > I already have an X-Y table, and I purchased a used drill press with a 5/8 chuck. But, surprise ! The chuck is a taper style, and falls off when I try to mill with it, due to the necessary chatter, even if I go slow.
          >
          > Question. Does someone know of a drill press from Harbor Freight or Grizzly or anywhere else, that has a threaded chuck ?
          >
          > Most ads don't specify, and you cant tell by looking at the pics.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your time
          > Felix

        • Steven Vine
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
            I'll second that. I was rushing on a job and  'quickly' set up a milling cutter in the drill press to true up a small edge. The chuck got pulled out, then all hell broke lose. It wasn't pretty. I was ok, the metal, vice and cutter were not.

            Steve

            To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
            From: starlight_tools@...
            Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 21:13:14 -0700

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
              I totally agree.  I've already made that mistake and it was expensive to undo.  Keep the mill and dump the DP

            • david@fignoggle - IMAP
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
                this is what can happen:
                http://www.fignoggle.com/tooling/figNoggle_oopsDrillChuck.jpg