Re: [mill_drill] Re: SIinpo DRO Help

  • Ray McCrodden
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
      Thanks Rob

      The DRO is a new install I switched the cables on the display board (x / Y and the error followed the Y scale. I did a quick check on alignment of the reader and scale with the factory spacer and the was the same as the X axis which works fine.
      E mailed the dro store Tuesday evening and am awaiting their reply. I guess slow service is one of the downsides of overseas purchase. This is the first time I did that and if I dont hear from them soon it will be the last, and I want to get two more lathe DRO kits in the near future.
       Thanks
       Ray

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
        A year ago, I bought a 3-axis SINPO from the Bay of evil. I was hesitant about buying from China but took the plunge because of price (under $500 delivered). Packaging was awful and one scale arrived broken and another had a crushed cable (but still functioned).
        I emailed the seller who got back to me within 48hrs. He asked for pictures of the packaging and scale damage. He then promptly emailed me and said normally they would just send a new glass, but he was also concerned about the crushed cable becoming a problem and asked if he could send a complete replacement scale and head so I could swap out the offending parts.
        The airmailed replacement arrived in a week and I have been VERY happy with my DRO ever since. You can see my install in my photo section.
        Hopefully your experience with the DROstore will work out just as well.
        You are correct about the "chinglish" manual though. It is horrible.

        Good Luck,

        TheOtherChris

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Ray McCrodden <neon_ram48@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Rob
        >
        > The DRO is a new install I switched the cables on the display board (x / Y and
        > the error followed the Y scale. I did a quick check on alignment of the reader
        > and scale with the factory spacer and the was the same as the X axis which works
        > fine.
        > E mailed the dro store Tuesday evening and am awaiting their reply. I guess slow
        > service is one of the downsides of overseas purchase. This is the first time I
        > did that and if I dont hear from them soon it will be the last, and I want to
        > get two more lathe DRO kits in the near future.
        > Thanks
        > Ray

      • smirob1
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
          How ironic Ray. My bad scale came from the DRO Store as well. It did take some time for me to get a replacement. Oh, by the way, it was also my Y Scale from them that was bad; like yours.

          I've since purchased 2 other DRO kits, however, I purchased one from SHARS and one from CDCO.

          Best of Luck to you,
          Rob, MI

        • Ray McCrodden
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010

            Rob and Chris.
            Scott from the dro store e mailed me today he asked a few questions and made a few suggestions like switching the x and y on the display. he also asked me to check the Z scale which was on the machine but not totally installed to see if there may be a problem with it it worked like the x scals.. He also asked I send him a video of the readout so he could see what was happening and if not something I could fix he would send a new scale. I am happy so far with the customer service response, I just need to remember that it is another country half way across the globe and their day is our night so things take more time.
             I do have one question for you guys. My ten thou ( fourth after the decimal. will read every other digit say 1,3.5.7 or 0.2.4.6.8. and in MM mode the third digit will only read 5 and ) 1.000 to 1.005 to 1.010 to 1.010 to 1.020 etc. mm.  Is that common or do I even need to worry about that as I will never do anything that requires that.
             Thanks for the input
            Ray

            How ironic Ray. My bad scale came from the DRO Store as well. It did take some time for me to get a replacement. Oh, by the way, it was also my Y Scale from them that was bad; like yours.

            I've since purchased 2 other DRO kits, however, I purchased one from SHARS and one from CDCO.

            Best of Luck to you,
            Rob, MI

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Ray McCrodden <neon_ram48@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Rob
            >
            > The DRO is a new install I switched the cables on the display board (x / Y and
            > the error followed the Y scale. I did a quick check on alignment of the reader
            > and scale with the factory spacer and the was the same as the X axis which works
            > fine.
            > E mailed the dro store Tuesday evening and am awaiting their reply. I guess slow
            > service is one of the downsides of overseas purchase. This is the first time I
            > did that and if I dont hear from them soon it will be the last, and I want to
            > get two more lathe DRO kits in the near future.
            > Thanks
            > Ray

          • theotherchris42
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
              Sounds like they're working with you to correct things.

              My unit displays the digits sequentially for each decimal place,though sometimes I think the the 0.0001 would be nice if it was just "0" or "5" as I tend to forget that while the display may show ten thou, I doubt my machine is capable of that level of precision.

            • smirob1
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2010
                That behavoir is normal. Like Chris said, you will be hard pressed to hold that tolerance given the hardware.

                Good Luck to you,
                Rob, MI