maybe a little OT: Workshop Air Conditioner Heavily Modified (maybe not for the better)

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 66 , Jun 6, 2010

      Unlike my other articles, this one is presenting a problem I am having without a solution. Hopefully one of you will see what I need to do. I have an 11,600 BTU through the wall air conditioner that is unable to efficiently cool my 150 square foot shop.

      If you are interested, see

      http://rick.sparber.org/sac.pdf

      Thanks in advance,

      Rick

    • curt wuollet
      Message 66 of 66 , Jun 19, 2010
        Excellent question and it has been debated in many circles.
        My survey of vendors on the subject came up a and b.
        Use the electronic controls to control the motor, you
        can wire switches up fairly easily. And for any service
        work use a disconnect for safety in the incoming line.
        Reasoning is, you lose control of the motor if you just
        cut the power. That said, I have used them where the
        incoming power was switched when unavoidable. And I've
        had authorities require an e stop disconnect for the
        motor, but that would be a bed idea except for real
        emergencies as the drives don't like the motor spikes.

        Regards

        cww