Igaging Digimag install on RF-31 z-axis

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2010
      Anyone installed one yet on a round column mill/drill? I bought one from Grizzly to check out for my Jet JMD-18. I was thinking of mounting it on the front where the depth scale is but the switch on the Jet is at the top center and there's not enough room for the scale to travel 5 inches. Do most people discard the original depth stop when installing some kind of DRO? It appears that it or a replacement stop of some kind needs to be there. Has anyone determined if the scale can be cut to length on the Igaging unit? I emailed them but got no response.
      Thanks, Steve
    • Stan Stocker
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
        Hi Steve,

        I can't answer for most people, but on my Grizzly 1006 the depth stop
        went away as it wasn't particularly useful or repeatable, and I don't do
        lots of drilling to a specific depth with twist drills to loose
        tolerances. The old hole was used to mount the lower plate made to
        carry the vertical scale. One less hole to drill on irregular cast
        iron, something that always makes me smile.

        An outdoor power box mounted on the left hand side of the head replaced
        the original switch unit to get than out of the way as well. A gasketed
        cover and oil / water resistance toggle switches were mounted to the
        blank cover. One toggle is a two HP rated motor switch, which turns the
        motor on and off. The other is not yet connected, but is a general
        purpose 6 amp toggle. One of these years maybe I'll finally mount the
        light in the interior of the head where there is a large opening and get
        it wired up. I like having a worklight in the head on drill presses,
        seems it would be as useful on the mill.

        Take care,
        Stan

        Steve wrote:
        > Anyone installed one yet on a round column mill/drill? I bought one from Grizzly to check out for my Jet JMD-18. I was thinking of mounting it on the front where the depth scale is but the switch on the Jet is at the top center and there's not enough room for the scale to travel 5 inches. Do most people discard the original depth stop when installing some kind of DRO? It appears that it or a replacement stop of some kind needs to be there. Has anyone determined if the scale can be cut to length on the Igaging unit? I emailed them but got no response.
        > Thanks, Steve

      • Rick Sparber
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
          Stan and Steve,

          I too ran into the problem of trying to use that hole in the lower plate
          that clamps to the quill of my RF30. It was machined true on top but was
          rough on the underside. I eventually fixed the underside enough to support a
          bolt head fairly flat. Then I turned a rod that would sit on the machined
          surface with a threaded hole in the bottom. The bolt pulled down on the rod
          to secure it while the top machined surface and the bottom of the rod set
          the rod true. The rod then coupled to the slider of my digital scale. Worked
          well. An important trick was to connect the rod to the slider with a narrow
          strip of sheet metal. In this way small horizontal movements of the
          plate/rod assembly did not get transmitted into the slide and cause binding.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
            If your looking for a Z axis quill DRO.   This is the one I use.  It's pretty good and durable.  I do a fair amount of mill work, since my mill is used in a bowling pro shop.

            http://www.dtsproducts.com/freestep/cat-dro-kit.htm

            To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010

              If you can tolerate having the scale oriented 90 degrees, a $18 Harbor Freight 6” caliper works great.

              Rick

              If your looking for a Z axis quill DRO.   This is the one I use.  It's pretty good and durable.  I do a fair amount of mill work, since my mill is used in a bowling pro shop.

              http://www.dtsproducts.com/freestep/cat-dro-kit.htm

            • Snag
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
                Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...> wrote:
                > If you can tolerate having the scale oriented 90 degrees, a $18 Harbor
                > Freight 6" caliper works great.

                An eBay 12 dollar one works pretty good too ...

                Snag
                "90 FLHTCU "Strider"
                '39 WLDD "PopCycle"
                BS 132/SENS/DOF
              • curt wuollet
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
                  If you check the pix in the Big Red Mill album you'll
                  see what I did with that space. The depth stop is no
                  loss. Crappy rattly thing.

                  Regards

                  cww