Motor Specs for a Rong Fu Mill/Drill RF-30/31

  • turbov6_30
    Message 1 of 16 , May 28, 2010
      I bought Enco RF-30, which I think is a clone of the Rong Fu RF-30/31. I need the motor spec, so that I can replace a missing motor. I need the following specs:

      1. Shaft size
      2. RPM, Phase, Frame type, ampere, HP
      3. Brand, model number

      Im also looking for specs on the step pulley as well'
    • Art Eckstein
      Message 2 of 16 , May 28, 2010
        Hi,
        I have a RF-31 and a long time ago, changed out the motor to an
        American unit 3PH with a VFD.

        Now having said that, the original motor was a 2HP metric frame
        (don't remember which one) and it had a 22mm shaft on it. The only
        reason I remember that part is because I had to ream the pulley out to 7/8".

        If I were you, (and obviously I am not:}) I would seriously consider
        using an American 2HP 3PH motor with VFD to give you a reliable motor
        (over the years, I have read several reports of problems with the
        Chinese ones). Then sit down with a spread sheet and figure out what
        pulleys would give you a good spread of rpm ranges. I now use the
        original pulley set with the belt permanently on the top set of the
        spindle and jackshaft. Then the motor has been shifted down so the
        small pulley on the motor lines up with the second down on the
        jackshaft. Then using the second grouve on the jackshaft lined up
        with the small grouve on the motor, I can get a speed range of about
        110-1100 rpm and with the belt on the bottom of the jackshaft and to
        the appropriate one on the motor, I get about 400-3900 rpm! If you
        use separate pulleys, you can make your own range.
        As for the sizing of the motor pulley:
        1.7 "
        2.35 "
        3.26 "
        3.912 "

        These are OD diameters.

        Hope this helps,

        Country Bubba

        At 07:57 PM 5/28/2010, you wrote:
        >I bought Enco RF-30, which I think is a clone of the Rong Fu
        >RF-30/31. I need the motor spec, so that I can replace a missing
        >motor. I need the following specs:
        >
        >1. Shaft size
        >2. RPM, Phase, Frame type, ampere, HP
        >3. Brand, model number
        >
        >Im also looking for specs on the step pulley as well'

      • curt wuollet
        Message 3 of 16 , May 28, 2010
          Yes. looking at the prices for step pulleys and
          as hard as it is to find the right one, the VFD
          and 3 PH motor idea might even save you money.
          Especially if you can find a surplus VFD.
          Regards

          cww

          Art Eckstein wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I have a RF-31 and a long time ago, changed out the motor to an
          > American unit 3PH with a VFD.
          >
          > Now having said that, the original motor was a 2HP metric frame
          > (don't remember which one) and it had a 22mm shaft on it. The only
          > reason I remember that part is because I had to ream the pulley out to 7/8".
          >
          > If I were you, (and obviously I am not:}) I would seriously consider
          > using an American 2HP 3PH motor with VFD to give you a reliable motor
          > (over the years, I have read several reports of problems with the
          > Chinese ones). Then sit down with a spread sheet and figure out what
          > pulleys would give you a good spread of rpm ranges. I now use the
          > original pulley set with the belt permanently on the top set of the
          > spindle and jackshaft. Then the motor has been shifted down so the
          > small pulley on the motor lines up with the second down on the
          > jackshaft. Then using the second grouve on the jackshaft lined up
          > with the small grouve on the motor, I can get a speed range of about
          > 110-1100 rpm and with the belt on the bottom of the jackshaft and to
          > the appropriate one on the motor, I get about 400-3900 rpm! If you
          > use separate pulleys, you can make your own range.
          > As for the sizing of the motor pulley:
          > 1.7 "
          > 2.35 "
          > 3.26 "
          > 3.912 "
          >
          > These are OD diameters.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > Country Bubba
          >

          > At 07:57 PM 5/28/2010, you wrote:
          >> I bought Enco RF-30, which I think is a clone of the Rong Fu
          >> RF-30/31. I need the motor spec, so that I can replace a missing
          >> motor. I need the following specs:
          >>
          >> 1. Shaft size
          >> 2. RPM, Phase, Frame type, ampere, HP
          >> 3. Brand, model number
          >>
          >> Im also looking for specs on the step pulley as well'

        • Corey Renner

            Message 5 of 16 , May 29, 2010
              Corey,

              Great price for the motor but what was the total cost?

              Rick (via iPod)

              On May 29, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

              > I started typing up a reply, and then I saw Art's reply which said
              > what I was going to say, only better. A VFD will take your mill/
              > drill into a whole new world of functionality.
              >
              > The only thing that I can add is that the original motor that was
              > rated at 2 Chinese horsepower was probably nowhere near 2 real
              > horsepower. If you replace it with a name- brand motor you probably
              > get by with less just fine. I replaced the 2hp 2-spd 3-phs motor on
              > my 8x36 knee mill with a 1hp Baldor inverter-rated 3-phs motor when
              > I switched to a VFD. The 1hp baldor seems to have the same or MORE
              > power than the 2hp Chinese. I have never been short on power with
              > this setup. I mention this because 2hp 3-phs motors can be hard to
              > find at a good price. I paid $51 for my new Baldor motor which
              > lists for $1150.
              >
              > HTH,
            • Corey Renner

                Message 7 of 16 , May 29, 2010
                  When talking about the chinese motors you
                  have to remember that electric motors are
                  rated for input power, not output power.
                  So while my 2HP Peking Special uses 2HP
                  worth of power for sure, I think at least
                  1HP becomes heat in the basement. And the
                  starting torque is pretty poor for a cap
                  start motor.

                  Regards

                  cww

                  Corey Renner wrote:

                  > I started typing up a reply, and then I saw Art's reply which said what
                  > I was going to say, only better. A VFD will take your mill/drill into a
                  > whole new world of functionality.
                  >
                  > The only thing that I can add is that the original motor that was rated
                  > at 2 Chinese horsepower was probably nowhere near 2 real horsepower. If
                  > you replace it with a name- brand motor you probably get by with less
                  > just fine. I replaced the 2hp 2-spd 3-phs motor on my 8x36 knee mill
                  > with a 1hp Baldor inverter-rated 3-phs motor when I switched to a VFD.
                  > The 1hp baldor seems to have the same or MORE power than the 2hp
                  > Chinese. I have never been short on power with this setup. I mention
                  > this because 2hp 3-phs motors can be hard to find at a good price. I
                  > paid $51 for my new Baldor motor which lists for $1150.
                  >
                  > HTH,
                  >
                  > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM, turbov6_30 <turbov6_30@...
                  > <mailto:turbov6_30@...>> wrote:
                  >

                  > I bought Enco RF-30, which I think is a clone of the Rong Fu
                  > RF-30/31. I need the motor spec, so that I can replace a missing
                  > motor. I need the following specs:
                  >
                  > 1. Shaft size
                  > 2. RPM, Phase, Frame type, ampere, HP
                  > 3. Brand, model number
                  >
                  > Im also looking for specs on the step pulley as well'

                • gmiller4396
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 30, 2010
                    Corey, are you using a 110v to 3phase control/converter VFD, or a 220?
                    What size and voltage 3phase motor are you using?

                    Thanks

                    Mark

                    > Total cost was about $65 for the motor including delivery (Surplus
                    Center)
                    > and about $150 for the Mitsu VFD (Fleabay). So, around $220 total. In
                    my
                    > case, I didn't have access to 3 phase power either from the power
                    company or
                    > from a phase converter, so this was the cheapest solution, in addition
                    > being the best solution.
                    >
                    > cheers,

                  • Corey Renner

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
                          Motor: Baldor 1hp, 3ph, 4-pole, inverter-rated.
                          VFD: Mitsubishi Freqrol FR-A220E-1.5k-UL
                          My cnc uses a FR-A220E-2.2k-UL they are identical except that the second one is a little more powerful.

                          cheers,

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 6, 2013
                              What is the name of the surplus center you bought the motor from? I'd like to find a place similar in Los Angeles..

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

                              > Total cost was about $65 for the motor including delivery (Surplus Center)
                              > and about $150 for the Mitsu VFD (Fleabay). So, around $220 total. In my
                              > case, I didn't have access to 3 phase power either from the power company or
                              > from a phase converter, so this was the cheapest solution, in addition to
                              > being the best solution.
                              >
                              > cheers,
                              >
                              > On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Rick <rgsparber@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > Corey,
                              > >
                              > > Great price for the motor but what was the total cost?
                              > >
                              > > Rick (via iPod)

                            • philr_77378
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 6, 2013
                                Here's a link to Surplus Center.  I think this is the one he is talking about.
                                Phil R
                                http://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp?catname=electric

                                What is the name of the surplus center you bought the motor from? I'd like to find a place similar in Los Angeles..

                                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

                                > Total cost was about $65 for the motor including delivery (Surplus Center)
                                > and about $150 for the Mitsu VFD (Fleabay). So, around $220 total. In my
                                > case, I didn't have access to 3 phase power either from the power company or
                                > from a phase converter, so this was the cheapest solution, in addition to
                                > being the best solution.
                                >
                                > cheers,
                                >
                                > On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Rick <rgsparber@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > Corey,
                                > >
                                > > Great price for the motor but what was the total cost?
                                > >
                                > > Rick (via iPod)

                              • vsamotorsports
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 6, 2013
                                  Google is your friend :-)

                                  Surplus Center

                                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "vsamotorsports" wrote:

                                  > What is the name of the surplus center you bought the motor from? I'd like to find a place similar in Los Angeles..
                                  >

                                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner vandal968@ wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Total cost was about $65 for the motor including delivery (Surplus Center)
                                  > > and about $150 for the Mitsu VFD (Fleabay). So, around $220 total. In my
                                  > > case, I didn't have access to 3 phase power either from the power company or
                                  > > from a phase converter, so this was the cheapest solution, in addition to
                                  > > being the best solution.
                                  > >
                                  > > cheers,
                                  > >
                                  > > On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Rick rgsparber@ wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > > Corey,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Great price for the motor but what was the total cost?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Rick (via iPod)

                                • Corey Renner
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 6, 2013
                                    Yes, it was http://www.surpluscenter.com/