Introduction

  • hkb176
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
      Hi all, I'm new to the group and have just purchased a Harbor Freight copy. Should arrive soon as it had to be ordered. One of the first things I need to accomplish is to build a stand, and was wondering if any of you have used a mobile base such as those under a cabinet style table saw? My table saw uses one and weighs in at just under 1000 lbs and is quite solid when it is sitting on its pads.
      A little information about myself. I am a former Tool and Die maker turned professional pilot. I also can weld just about anything, MIG and TIG.

      Jim D.
      Kansas
    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
        Jim,

        Welcome to the group! I'm sure we have lots of good information to trade.

        I have seen many mobile bases but my RF-30 is bolted down. They thing to
        remember is that you have static load plus dynamic load here. Your base
        might be able to handle the static load of 1000 pounds just fine but if
        there is a lot of vibration, you might have trouble. Furthermore, if you
        have a round column, there may be a time when you wish to swing the head
        around. If the machine is bolted down, this is not an issue. But if it is
        sitting on wheels, there might be some risk of tipping.

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
          Jim,
          I added retractable gear and 180# of concrete to the standard crappy base.  The casters made it very convenient to move around when necessary.  I did lower it onto the floor for milling, it vibrated too much for my taste when up on the wheels.

          See pic here:

          cheers,

          On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Rick Sparber <rgsparber@...> wrote:

          Jim,

        • Jim Dallas
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
            Thanks for the responses!!

            Jim D.

            I added retractable gear and 180# of concrete to the standard crappy base.  The casters made it very convenient to move around when necessary.  I did lower it onto the floor for milling, it vibrated too much for my taste when up on the wheels.

            See pic here:

            cheers,

            On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Rick Sparber <rgsparber@aol. com> wrote:

            Jim,

          • Thomas Ainlay
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
              Getting ready to order some end mills and would like to save a few $$ if anybody has a current % off or free shipping code it would be much appreciated.

              Regards,

              Thomas Ainlay
              Mad River Arms
              2220 Tahoe Timber Way
              Riverbank, CA 95367

              209-863-0347
            • ekdadlec
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                W250910 for 15% off good through the end of April.

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Ainlay <tainlay@...> wrote:

                > Getting ready to order some end mills and would like to save a few $$ if anybody has a current % off or free shipping code it would be much appreciated.
                > Regards,
                > Thomas AinlayMad River Arms2220 Tahoe Timber WayRiverbank, CA 95367209-863-0347

              • Snag
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                  Thomas Ainlay <tainlay@...> wrote:
                  > Getting ready to order some end mills and would like to save a few $$
                  > if anybody has a current % off or free shipping code it would be much
                  > appreciated.
                  > Regards,
                  > Thomas AinlayMad River Arms2220 Tahoe Timber WayRiverbank, CA
                  > 95367209-863-0347

                  Free ship for april is pfsapr . Gotta spend at least 25 bucks , max weight
                  125 lbs .

                  Snag
                  "90 FLHTCU "Strider"
                  '39 WLDD "PopCycle"
                  BS 132/SENS/DOF
                • david@fignoggle - IMAP
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 20, 2010
                    and HLFSRA - just came out today, free shipping.

                    happy shipping!

                    Spindle Lock for your Rong-Fu 45, Lathemaster, Sieg X3 <http://www.spindle-lock.com>
                    CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>
                    Sieg X3/Super X3 Mill Information, HF/Enco Coupons <http://www.superx3.com>