DC motor controller

  • gmiller4396
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
      I recently came across a Danfoss Cyclrol 2000 dc motor controller, rated at 1-hp.

      Can I use this controller with a 3-hp treadmill motor? Will it work right? Will the motor toast the controller?

      Mark
    • harley davidson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
           The controller should tell you if it is single phase or 3 phase and what Voltage. 220 , 240 or 480 Volts .  The ones I have seen are not interchangeable.
        Wolf

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
          The controller is 0-90vdc 12.2A dc output. The motor has V.ARM 130 and A.ARM 15 2HP 3210RPM on the plate Variable Speed DC Motor.

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, harley davidson <harley_daddy1@...> wrote:

          >    The controller should tell you if it is single phase or 3 phase and what Voltage. 220 , 240 or 480 Volts .  The ones I have seen are not interchangeable.
          > Wolf

        • C4C
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
            Hi,

            If the drive is rated at 1HP then it will not handle 3HP. The motors operating voltage is very important so the drive must conform to that specification.

            I have a new KB Electronics KBRG-240D DC motor dive that will get you 180 volts, 2HP if you have 220 service.

            I hate to shoot myself in the foot but you can take some time and research the treadmill motor to find what manufacturers ued it. Once you know that you can continue your research in eBay to locate a motor drive capable of powering your motor. That takes a little time but the result is right on.

            C4C

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gmiller4396" <gmiller4396@...> wrote:

            > The controller is 0-90vdc 12.2A dc output. The motor has V.ARM 130 and A.ARM 15 2HP 3210RPM on the plate Variable Speed DC Motor.
            >
            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, harley davidson <harley_daddy1@> wrote:
            > >
            > >    The controller should tell you if it is single phase or 3 phase and what Voltage. 220 , 240 or 480 Volts .  The ones I have seen are not interchangeable.
            > > Wolf

          • harley davidson
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
                    C4C  , I was concentrating on the controller issues and missed the HP difference . 43years as a electrician  . Good catch.
                 Wolf

              If the drive is rated at 1HP then it will not handle 3HP. The motors operating voltage is very important so the drive must conform to that specification.

              I have a new KB Electronics KBRG-240D DC motor d n> n>ive that will get you 180 volts, 2HP if you have 220 service.

              I hate to shoot myself in the foot but you can take some time and research the treadmill motor to find what manufacturers ued it. Once you know that you can continue your research in eBay to locate a motor drive capable of powering your motor. That takes a little time but the result is right on.

              C4C

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "gmiller4396" <gmiller4396@ ...> wrote:

              > The controller is 0-90vdc 12.2A dc output. The motor has V.ARM 130 and A.ARM 15 2HP 3210RPM on the plate Variable Speed DC Motor.
              >
              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, harley davidson <harley_daddy1@ > wrote:
              > >
              > >    The controller should tell you if it is single phase or 3 phase and what Voltage. 220 , 240 or 480 Volts .  The ones I have seen are not interchangeable.
              > > Wolf

            • gmiller4396
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
                I was told by somebody that the lower rating on the controller would just de-rate the motor to 1HP, which should be fine for what I want to do.

                Is this not correct? I don't need 2hp, as far as I know.

                Also, the lower voltage output would just lower the speed of the motor, which is also fine by me.

                Thanks

                Mark

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "C4C" <cnc4cheap@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > If the drive is rated at 1HP then it will not handle 3HP. The motors operating voltage is very important so the drive must conform to that specification.
                >
                > I have a new KB Electronics KBRG-240D DC motor dive that will get you 180 volts, 2HP if you have 220 service.
                >
                > I hate to shoot myself in the foot but you can take some time and research the treadmill motor to find what manufacturers ued it. Once you know that you can continue your research in eBay to locate a motor drive capable of powering your motor. That takes a little time but the result is right on.
                >
                > C4C
                >
                > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "gmiller4396" <gmiller4396@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The controller is 0-90vdc 12.2A dc output. The motor has V.ARM 130 and A.ARM 15 2HP 3210RPM on the plate Variable Speed DC Motor.
                > >
                > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, harley davidson <harley_daddy1@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > >    The controller should tell you if it is single phase or 3 phase and what Voltage. 220 , 240 or 480 Volts .  The ones I have seen are not interchangeable.
                > > > Wolf

              • Starlight Tool Services Ltd
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
                  Mark

                  First off, major factors to deal with are Voltage and Amps, with HP being a secondary factor, usually derived by mathematically calculating.

                  In this case we have a controller that was rated for 90 VDC at 12.2A

                  We have an armature that is 130VDC at 15A

                  This controller is not rated high enough amperage for this motor.  No the motor will not derate itself just because it is run on a lighter controller, it will continue to draw current based on the load up until it either gets too hot and over heats or it overheats the controller.  If it was the other way around, the controller larger rating than the motor, then the motor would be maxed out before the controller was maxed, and the controller would be in effect running derated.

                  Now having said that, when a motor manufacturer rates a motor, they apply a load to it an take a reading.  As they increase the load on the motor, its amperage draw increases and they choose an arbitrary motor amperage and HP rating somewhere up close to when the motor is just about ready to start breaking down.  This is what they refer to as Peak HP.  You can not run this motor at this level for very long so the duty cycle is very low..

                  If the reading is taken when the motor is running under a normal load, these reading are considered as the running HP and this motor will run this way all day long if required.  The readings with no load will be even lower.

                  I have worked on many treadmills and the motors are definitely not what they are rated for.  Maybe some of the industrial ones are but most home use treadmills are rated PEAK which as just mentioned is the point when the motor is just about ready to fry.

                  In this case we have a 3 HP treadmill motor.  There is no way to get 3 HP out of a 120V 15 amp AC line which these units are designed to plug into, so this is obviously a Developed 3 HP Peak motor.  The controller on the other hand is rated at 1 HP which is probably the running HP.

                  If you use this motor controller combination you will most likely be OK as long as you do not put too much load on the motor.  the controller is large enough that it will not be effected by start-up current inrush, usually in a factor of 13 times the running current, and as stated you are probably dealing with a difference of 1 Hp running to 3 HP Peak.

                  I would start by bench testing the setup.  Check the voltage and Amperage with the motor Idling with no load, then increase the load and see what happens to the current.

                  On the lathe or mill drill you will have to be doing some serious work to load down a 3 HP motor.

                  Just my 2 cents

                  Walter

                  I was told by somebody that the lower rating on the controller would just de-rate the motor to 1HP, which should be fine for what I want to do.

                  Is this not correct? I don't need 2hp, as far as I know.

                  Also, the lower voltage output would just lower the speed of the motor, which is also fine by me.

                  Thanks

                  Mark

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "C4C" <cnc4cheap@. ..> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > If the drive is rated at 1HP then it will not handle 3HP. The motors operating voltage is very important so the drive must conform to that specification.
                  >
                  > I have a new KB Electronics KBRG-240D DC motor dive that will get you 180 volts, 2HP if you have 220 service.
                  >
                  > I hate to shoot myself in the foot but you can take some time and research the treadmill motor to find what manufacturers ued it. Once you know that you can continue your research in eBay to locate a motor drive capable of powering your motor. That takes a little time but the result is right on.
                  >
                  > C4C
                  >
                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "gmiller4396" <gmiller4396@ > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The controller is 0-90vdc 12.2A dc output. The motor has V.ARM 130 and A.ARM 15 2HP 3210RPM on the plate Variable Speed DC Motor.
                  > >
                  > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, harley davidson <harley_daddy1@ > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > >    The controller should tell you if it is single phase or 3 phase and what Voltage. 220 , 240 or 480 Volts .  The ones I have seen are not interchangeable.
                  > > > Wolf

                • curt wuollet
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2010
                    Another derating factor is that the HP rating is
                    often at some insanely high RPM. I think the one
                    I have was rated at 6300 RPM. I don't think I'd
                    want to run it at 6000 RPM attached to the MD, at
                    least not level with my head. And especially with
                    the original belts and pulleys.

                    Regards

                    cww

                    Starlight Tool Services Ltd wrote:

                    > Mark
                    >
                    > First off, major factors to deal with are Voltage and Amps, with HP
                    > being a secondary factor, usually derived by mathematically calculating.
                    >
                    > In this case we have a controller that was rated for 90 VDC at 12.2A
                    >
                    > We have an armature that is 130VDC at 15A
                    >
                    > This controller is not rated high enough amperage for this motor. No
                    > the motor will not derate itself just because it is run on a lighter
                    > controller, it will continue to draw current based on the load up until
                    > it either gets too hot and over heats or it overheats the controller.
                    > If it was the other way around, the controller larger rating than the
                    > motor, then the motor would be maxed out before the controller was
                    > maxed, and the controller would be in effect running derated.
                    >
                    > Now having said that, when a motor manufacturer rates a motor, they
                    > apply a load to it an take a reading. As they increase the load on the
                    > motor, its amperage draw increases and they choose an arbitrary motor
                    > amperage and HP rating somewhere up close to when the motor is just
                    > about ready to start breaking down. This is what they refer to as Peak
                    > HP. You can not run this motor at this level for very long so the duty
                    > cycle is very low..
                    >
                    > If the reading is taken when the motor is running under a normal load,
                    > these reading are considered as the running HP and this motor will run
                    > this way all day long if required. The readings with no load will be
                    > even lower.
                    >
                    > I have worked on many treadmills and the motors are definitely not what
                    > they are rated for. Maybe some of the industrial ones are but most home
                    > use treadmills are rated PEAK which as just mentioned is the point when
                    > the motor is just about ready to fry.
                    >
                    > In this case we have a 3 HP treadmill motor. There is no way to get 3
                    > HP out of a 120V 15 amp AC line which these units are designed to plug
                    > into, so this is obviously a Developed 3 HP Peak motor. The controller
                    > on the other hand is rated at 1 HP which is probably the running HP.
                    >
                    > If you use this motor controller combination you will most likely be OK
                    > as long as you do not put too much load on the motor. the controller is
                    > large enough that it will not be effected by start-up current inrush,
                    > usually in a factor of 13 times the running current, and as stated you
                    > are probably dealing with a difference of 1 Hp running to 3 HP Peak.
                    >
                    > I would start by bench testing the setup. Check the voltage and
                    > Amperage with the motor Idling with no load, then increase the load and
                    > see what happens to the current.
                    >
                    > On the lathe or mill drill you will have to be doing some serious work
                    > to load down a 3 HP motor.
                    >
                    > Just my 2 cents
                    >
                    > Walter

                  • gmiller4396
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 8, 2010
                      Walter, Thank you for the info. I also have a 1-1/2hp motor, besides the 2hp, so I will try them on the bench and see how they work. I thought I would ask for some help, before I just hooked one up and blew something up.

                      Mark