Re: hello and a couple of Q's

  • pigpen60
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 3 5:41 PM
      25 minutes and i missed the obvious! thank you for the lesson and sorry i bothered you. pigpen

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Peter Merriam <pmerriam@...> wrote:

      > if you put " instruction sheet for a phase II 5c spin indexer" into Google guess what the first item was that appeared for me?
      > Google is your friend

    • Ray McCrodden
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 3 6:40 PM
        Pigpen
         Its not a bother.  I am a newbie here also and the folks on these groups have been a big help to me. How do you like the spin indexer? I am thinking about one of those or a rotary table and cant decide.
         Ray

        25 minutes and i missed the obvious! thank you for the lesson and sorry i bothered you. pigpen

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Peter Merriam <pmerriam@.. .> wrote:

        > if you put " instruction sheet for a phase II 5c spin indexer" into Google guess what the first item was that appeared for me?
        > Google is your friend

      • Corey Renner
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 3 7:17 PM
          I have almost every possible indexing tool:

          1. Rotary table
          2. Spindex
          3. B&S style dividing head
          4. Collet blocks

          The collet blocks are the cheapest at about $30 for the pair and I use them at least 10x more often than all the other items combined.

          cheers,
          On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Ray McCrodden <neon_ram48@...> wrote:

          Pigpen
           Its not a bother.  I am a newbie here also and the folks on these groups have been a big help to me. How do you like the spin indexer? I am thinking about one of those or a rotary table and cant decide.
           Ray
        • ekdadlec
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 4 4:09 AM
            Ray,

            I have a spin index and it comes in handy. You can index it in 1 degree increments. The collet blocks Corey mentioned are also very useful and, like him, I use those more often but they are limited as to the angle you can set them to, in a vise anyway. That's where the spin index comes in handy. If I could only have one though I would go with a rotary table with the index plates. But it depends on the type of work you do so your mileage may vary.
            I'd like to make a 5C collet chuck for my lathe so I could use the collets I have for the spin index in the lathe. That's on the list of projects to do some day.

            Ed

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Ray McCrodden <neon_ram48@...> wrote:

            > Pigpen
            > Its not a bother. I am a newbie here also and the folks on these groups have been a big help to me. How do you like the spin indexer? I am thinking about one of those or a rotary table and cant decide.
            > Ray
          • yahoogroups
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 4 4:33 AM
              > I'd like to make a 5C collet chuck for my lathe so I could use the
              > collets I have for the spin index in the lathe. That's on the list of
              > projects to do some day.

              Ed,
              Let me recommend the collet chuck from MLA

              http://www.sc-c.com/metallathe/MLA21.html

              It was a very interesting project that taught me a lot. The
              instructions that came with it were good and the quality of the
              castings was excellent. The finished chuck is accurate to a couple of
              tenths. I couldn't be happier with it. I made mine to fit my 11 inch
              South Bend and I am thinking of making another for my South Bend 10K.
              Highly recommended.

              Fergus
            • ekdadlec
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 4 6:55 AM
                Fergus,

                That does look like a nice option. I'll have to consider it. Thanks for suggesting it.

                Ed

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "yahoogroups" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

                > > I'd like to make a 5C collet chuck for my lathe so I could use the
                > > collets I have for the spin index in the lathe. That's on the list of
                > > projects to do some day.
                >
                > Ed,
                > Let me recommend the collet chuck from MLA
                >
                > http://www.sc-c.com/metallathe/MLA21.html
                >
                > It was a very interesting project that taught me a lot. The
                > instructions that came with it were good and the quality of the
                > castings was excellent. The finished chuck is accurate to a couple of
                > tenths. I couldn't be happier with it. I made mine to fit my 11 inch
                > South Bend and I am thinking of making another for my South Bend 10K.
                > Highly recommended.
                >
                > Fergus

              • Rick Long
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 4 2:41 PM
                  I know google is my friend, but what are collet blocks?

                  Richard Long

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 4 3:19 PM
                    Just an image reference, not an endorsement of seller by any means.
                    They fit a 5C collet: http://tinyurl.com/ybenmsq You can then hold
                    the block in a vise, clamp to a table, anything you can think of.

                    Full link:
                    http://www.amazon.com/5C-Collet-Block-Set-Square/dp/B0007Q1Q50

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 4 3:21 PM
                      Google is my friend! And provided wayyy more info than I wanted.  But really, why would you use a collet block more than an indexer? Never mind, I'm still trying to figure out how to get this damn collet out of my spindle.  God I don't tolerate being a newbe very well.

                      Cheers,

                      rlong

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 4 3:26 PM
                        > I know google is my friend, but what are collet blocks?

                        <http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=950317&PMAKA=235-7050>

                        They are on sale at the moment and the free shipping code is PFSMAR.

                        Fergus
                      • Corey Renner
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 4 3:40 PM
                          Besides being handy for fixturing in-general like machining something into the end of a piece of 3/8" dia round, they let you easily index anything that has 2,3,4 or 6 divisions.

                          cheers,

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 4 4:49 PM
                            The main reason I would just grab a collet block first for simple
                            divisions is "set-up time". I have my vise bolted down and dialed-in
                            nicely to 90-degrees. It takes a few minutes to dial it in again if I
                            must remove it to place an indexer on the table. The collet blocks
                            are ground square, so if I just mount them in my vise I'm ready to go.
                            Clamp on a simple vise-stop, and I'm ready to index 2,3,4 or 6
                            divisions. Quick and easy. Low cost. That's the benefit, I would
                            argue.

                            Now, I'm sure you're wondering what a vise-stop is. Perfectly okay :)
                            Look here: http://tinyurl.com/y8rwx9g You butt the end of your
                            collet block up against it and it provides repeatable placement when
                            you unclamp the vise to turn your block---for example, to machine a
                            square on the end of a round piece of work.

                            Arthur

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 4 4:57 PM
                              To use an indexer, you have to find it, tram it, bolt it down, remember how to use it, figure out the divisions you need, etc.

                              To use a collet block, take block, drop it into vise, make your cuts, drop it back into drawer.  DONE.

                              On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Rick Long <goyellowbike@...> wrote:

                              Google is my friend! And provided wayyy more info than I wanted.  But really, why would you use a collet block more than an indexer? Never mind, I'm still trying to figure out how to get this damn collet out of my spindle.  God I don't tolerate being a newbe very well.

                              Cheers,

                              rlong

                            • Jim S.
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 4 6:36 PM
                                I haven't built the 5c collet chuck, but I've built several of the MLA products and I can recommend the company highly. The castings were always of excellent quality and the instructions/machining suggestions are sensible. They have been around since BI (Before Internet) and I have never heard a bad word about them.

                                Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)

                                Ed,
                                Let me recommend the collet chuck from MLA

                                http://www.sc- c.com/metallathe /MLA21.html
                              • vakil01
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 4 10:03 PM
                                  Hello,

                                  Just finished a light for my RF-45 and I did a lot of searching for lights.  The sellers I used have eBay Motors stores:  KAIZENMOTOR  has  (2) 36 LED arrays for $22.50 - ships from CA - and ENKMALL had (2) 12 LED arrays for $9.99 shipping from Hong Kong.  Both shipped promptly.

                                  They have zillions on their stores.  Look for 'panel lights' or do a search for '36'.  The panels  are all replacements for car overhead lights, door lights, and glove compartment lights.  I like them because they are all 12V and voltage stabilized so they work  with the wall wart I have.

                                  One thing I discovered is there are all flavors of LED's.  The 9 array is almost as bright as the 36 array because they are brighter and bigger LED's.   Someone had a chart that went as follows:

                                  • The tiny LED's have 4 lumens
                                  • 1210 LED's have 7 lumens
                                  • Flux or SMD Flux have 8 lumens
                                  • HyperFlux or 5050 have 20 lumens
                                  The 36 LED array were 7 lumens each and the 9 LED array were 20 lumens each.

                                  Also 'white' is really bluish white.  The ones I got were 'true white' and rated at 6,000 Kelvin.  Daylight  is about 5,000 Kelvin so this is a little bit bluer than day light but very close.  You may also be able to find warm white (around 3,400 Kelvin) however they are too yellowish for my taste.

                                  The 9 LED arrays are smaller and fit in front of the quill and the 36 LED arrays at the back.
                                  I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

                                  > > To: mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com
                                  > > Subject: [mill_drill] hello and a couple of Q's
                                  > >

                                  > > hello im new to the group, my name is tom/pigpen i dont have a mill/drill i have a rockwell horizontal/vertical mill. i joined cause yall seem to think around the problems differently than other folks. am i making any sense? im curently an otr driver so im on the puter more than the mill. per chance anyone have a instruction sheet for a phase II 5c spin indexer? also im in need of lighting for my mill, any ideas? lightspeed didnt have the led arrays listed in the files section. thanks, pigpen

                                • leasingham_connelly
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 5 12:06 AM
                                    I would also suggest that access to the workpiece may be easier with some tooling setups with collet blocks. I know from using a rotary table set up vertically with a chuck on it that sometimes the jaws are in the way. I do not have any 5C collets but have a full set of ER40 collets. I think making a couple of ER40 collet blocks would be an interesting exercise.

                                    Martin

                                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

                                    > Besides being handy for fixturing in-general like machining something into
                                    > the end of a piece of 3/8" dia round, they let you easily index anything
                                    > that has 2,3,4 or 6 divisions.
                                    >
                                    > cheers,
                                    >
                                    > On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Rick Long <goyellowbike@...> wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > I know google is my friend, but what are collet blocks?
                                    > >
                                    > > Richard Long
                                  • curt wuollet
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 5 12:21 AM
                                      I think it's interesting that they
                                      want more for the collet blocks than
                                      I paid for a spindex. I think making
                                      a set of 5C collet blocks would be a
                                      good project. I'll have to look at the
                                      taper.

                                      Regards

                                      cww

                                      leasingham_connelly wrote:
                                      > I would also suggest that access to the workpiece may be easier with some tooling setups with collet blocks. I know from using a rotary table set up vertically with a chuck on it that sometimes the jaws are in the way. I do not have any 5C collets but have a full set of ER40 collets. I think making a couple of ER40 collet blocks would be an interesting exercise.
                                      >
                                      > Martin
                                      >
                                      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
                                      >> Besides being handy for fixturing in-general like machining something into
                                      >> the end of a piece of 3/8" dia round, they let you easily index anything
                                      >> that has 2,3,4 or 6 divisions.
                                      >>
                                      >> cheers,
                                      >>
                                      >> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Rick Long <goyellowbike@...> wrote:
                                      >>

                                      >>> I know google is my friend, but what are collet blocks?
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Richard Long

                                    • Rick Long
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 5 11:49 PM
                                        Thanks Arthur.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 5 11:57 PM
                                          Ok, I understand that, I believe I should refer back to an actual example task.  Less guessing that way, on my part I mean.
                                          Thanks Corey

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 6 12:08 AM
                                            Beginning to understand, and the vise-stops are very nice.  I can see a set of those in my future. Thanks again Arthur.

                                            On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Corey Renner <vandal968@gmail. com> wrote:
                                            > ...they let you easily index anything that has 2,3,4 or 6 divisions.

                                          • William Abernathy
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 6 10:48 AM
                                              FWIW, I just use a parallel clamp.

                                              --William