Newbie here - question

  • frank.adams33
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
      I'm having fun getting aquinted with my new Lathemaster LM25L and have a cutting question. Today I wanted to make some 30-degree cuts across the end of a plate to make a ball cutter for the lathe - like Steve Bedair's. I made a fixture to hold the piece so I wouldn't have to tilt the mill head and then need to re-tram. I cut with the mill bit end, but i could have also set it on end and set the vise at 30-degrees to the table, or afterward I thought about using a flycutter - or would contact with the point of the part been too dramatic? What is the best proceedure?
    • C4C
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
        When in doubt as to which approach to take I always seem to take the way that is easiest for me. Hmmm? seems as though I recall throwing some parts out of the vise so you might also want to factor in some safety in your decision.

        C4C

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "frank.adams33" <fma.pe.aia@...> wrote:

        > I'm having fun getting aquinted with my new Lathemaster LM25L and have a cutting question. Today I wanted to make some 30-degree cuts across the end of a plate to make a ball cutter for the lathe - like Steve Bedair's. I made a fixture to hold the piece so I wouldn't have to tilt the mill head and then need to re-tram. I cut with the mill bit end, but i could have also set it on end and set the vise at 30-degrees to the table, or afterward I thought about using a flycutter - or would contact with the point of the part been too dramatic? What is the best proceedure?

      • leasingham_connelly
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "frank.adams33" <fma.pe.aia@...> wrote:

          > I'm having fun getting aquinted with my new Lathemaster LM25L and have a cutting question. Today I wanted to make some 30-degree cuts across the end of a plate to make a ball cutter for the lathe - like Steve Bedair's. I made a fixture to hold the piece so I wouldn't have to tilt the mill head and then need to re-tram. I cut with the mill bit end, but i could have also set it on end and set the vise at 30-degrees to the table, or afterward I thought about using a flycutter - or would contact with the point of the part been too dramatic? What is the best proceedure?

          Flycutters work best on wide flat surfaces. I don't fancy the idea of using one on the edge of a plate. As for holding the part, if it does not fit in your vice then you can mount flat items on an angle plate and position it at whatever angle is best. You can also clamp to the table supported on either scrap material or over something that will not be touched by the cutter such as 123 blocks. If you need the part at an angle to the face of the machine then you can use hinged angle plates. You can also get end mills for chamfering cuts at 45° or possibly other angles if you do a lot of angled cuts.

          Martin
        • frank.adams33
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin.connelly@...> wrote:

            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "frank.adams33" <fma.pe.aia@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm having fun getting aquinted with my new Lathemaster LM25L and have a cutting question. Today I wanted to make some 30-degree cuts across the end of a plate to make a ball cutter for the lathe - like Steve Bedair's. I made a fixture to hold the piece so I wouldn't have to tilt the mill head and then need to re-tram. I cut with the mill bit end, but i could have also set it on end and set the vise at 30-degrees to the table, or afterward I thought about using a flycutter - or would contact with the point of the part been too dramatic? What is the best proceedure?
            > >
            > Flycutters work best on wide flat surfaces. I don't fancy the idea of using one on the edge of a plate. As for holding the part, if it does not fit in your vice then you can mount flat items on an angle plate and position it at whatever angle is best. You can also clamp to the table supported on either scrap material or over something that will not be touched by the cutter such as 123 blocks. If you need the part at an angle to the face of the machine then you can use hinged angle plates. You can also get end mills for chamfering cuts at 45° or possibly other angles if you do a lot of angled cuts.
            >
            > Martin

            If you look in the photos under "milling fixture" you'll see what I made.
          • C4C
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
              Frank,

              There's nothing wrong with the way you positioned and held the part. The thing that really counts is whether or not the end result brought satisfaction for you. That's what it's all about

              C4C

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "frank.adams33" <fma.pe.aia@...> wrote:

              > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin.connelly@> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "frank.adams33" <fma.pe.aia@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I'm having fun getting aquinted with my new Lathemaster LM25L and have a cutting question. Today I wanted to make some 30-degree cuts across the end of a plate to make a ball cutter for the lathe - like Steve Bedair's. I made a fixture to hold the piece so I wouldn't have to tilt the mill head and then need to re-tram. I cut with the mill bit end, but i could have also set it on end and set the vise at 30-degrees to the table, or afterward I thought about using a flycutter - or would contact with the point of the part been too dramatic? What is the best proceedure?
              > > >
              > > Flycutters work best on wide flat surfaces. I don't fancy the idea of using one on the edge of a plate. As for holding the part, if it does not fit in your vice then you can mount flat items on an angle plate and position it at whatever angle is best. You can also clamp to the table supported on either scrap material or over something that will not be touched by the cutter such as 123 blocks. If you need the part at an angle to the face of the machine then you can use hinged angle plates. You can also get end mills for chamfering cuts at 45° or possibly other angles if you do a lot of angled cuts.
              > >
              > > Martin
              > >
              > If you look in the photos under "milling fixture" you'll see what I made.

            • Rexarino
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010
                Frank, if you use a fly cutter, or any single-cutting-edge tool in your application, you should shorten the "arm" so the cutting edge is well supported.  A 1/4 inch tool bit flying around while extended an inch out of the holder is maybe OK for a continuous shallow cut across a large surface, but if it's used where the cutting edge makes "interrupted" cuts, the chance of drama increases substantially.  Tool bits are commonly ground to a profile and used in a fly cutter, or similar holder, for interrupted cuts such as cutting individual teeth on a gear blank, but I would make the tool bit as hefty and short as I could if I were doing it.

                As for edge vs end milling, edge milling will perhaps have deflection with a heavy cut, and will cut deeper if you hesitate, whereas end milling pushes a spindle up, but a hesitation will let the end mill dig in.  If it matters, you need to decide which direction is less likely to cause problems.  For instance, a .250 end mill will deflect a noticeable amount under moderate side load.  An old machine with loose spindle bearings might have vertical play that leaves an uneven surface.  It's mostly experience..

                Rex

                On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:31 PM, frank.adams33 <fma.pe.aia@...> wrote:
                I'm having fun getting aquinted with my new Lathemaster LM25L and have a cutting question. Today I wanted to make some 30-degree cuts across the end of a plate to make a ball cutter for the lathe - like Steve Bedair's. I made a fixture to hold the piece so I wouldn't have to tilt the mill head and then need to re-tram. I cut with the mill bit end, but i could have also set it on end and set the vise at 30-degrees to the table, or afterward I thought about using a flycutter - or would contact with the point of the part been too dramatic? What is the best proceedure?

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • frank.adams33
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010
                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly" <martin.connelly@...> wrote:

                  > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "frank.adams33" <fma.pe.aia@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm having fun getting aquinted with my new Lathemaster LM25L and have a cutting question. Today I wanted to make some 30-degree cuts across the end of a plate to make a ball cutter for the lathe - like Steve Bedair's. I made a fixture to hold the piece so I wouldn't have to tilt the mill head and then need to re-tram. I cut with the mill bit end, but i could have also set it on end and set the vise at 30-degrees to the table, or afterward I thought about using a flycutter - or would contact with the point of the part been too dramatic? What is the best proceedure?
                  > >
                  > Flycutters work best on wide flat surfaces. I don't fancy the idea of using one on the edge of a plate. As for holding the part, if it does not fit in your vice then you can mount flat items on an angle plate and position it at whatever angle is best. You can also clamp to the table supported on either scrap material or over something that will not be touched by the cutter such as 123 blocks. If you need the part at an angle to the face of the machine then you can use hinged angle plates. You can also get end mills for chamfering cuts at 45° or possibly other angles if you do a lot of angled cuts.
                  >
                  > Martin

                  Martin,

                  the flycutter I have actually is an R8 X 2" indexible. As it turns out I used a 3/4" endmill - so far so good. thanks