Newbie

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
      Hi Folks
      I am new on here and also to machining.

      I am in the market for a mill and am down to two choices, one is the 6x26 knee mill sold by HF WT and a host of others and the second is a WT ZX45. does anyone have experience with either of these machines?
      Is the ZX45 in the x-3 family or is it a bigger more rigid mill?
      I would like to hear the pros and cons of both
      Thanks
      Ray Mc
    • Snag
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
        Ray <neon_ram48@...> wrote:
        > Hi Folks
        > I am new on here and also to machining.
        >
        > I am in the market for a mill and am down to two choices, one is
        > the 6x26 knee mill sold by HF WT and a host of others and the second
        > is a WT ZX45. does anyone have experience with either of these
        > machines? Is the ZX45 in the x-3 family or is it a bigger more rigid
        > mill?
        > I would like to hear the pros and cons of both
        > Thanks
        > Ray Mc

        I have the ZX45 mill , it's around 800 lbs . IIRC the X-3 is about half
        that weight . I'm very happy with mine , it has (so far) done everything I
        want with no problems . The only thing I've found is that it's noisy when
        doing heavy cuts with a single insert cutter or flycutter . It kinda rattles
        and clatters a bit especially at the lower speeds .

        Snag
        "90 FLHTCU "Strider"
        '39 WLDD "PopCycle"
        BS 132/SENS/DOF
      • Glenn N
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
          Snag,

          Try a bit of grease on the splines of the spindle shaft. Mine rattles a bit
          when it is dry.

          Glenn Neff
          Medford, OR

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
            Glenn N <sleykin@...> wrote:
            > Snag,
            >
            > Try a bit of grease on the splines of the spindle shaft. Mine
            > rattles a bit when it is dry.
            >
            > Glenn Neff

            Thanks Glen , I'll try that .

            Snag
            "90 FLHTCU "Strider"
            '39 WLDD "PopCycle"
            BS 132/SENS/DOF
          • C4C
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
              Ray,

              I have a brand new in the crate Industrial Hobbies machine for sale. It currently has a spindle with a 30 taper but it includes a new spindle with an R8 taper.

              C4C

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <neon_ram48@...> wrote:

              > Hi Folks
              > I am new on here and also to machining.
              >
              > I am in the market for a mill and am down to two choices, one is the 6x26 knee mill sold by HF WT and a host of others and the second is a WT ZX45. does anyone have experience with either of these machines?
              > Is the ZX45 in the x-3 family or is it a bigger more rigid mill?
              > I would like to hear the pros and cons of both
              > Thanks
              > Ray Mc

            • Ray McCrodden
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
                could you point me to where the information for that mill is?
                 E-mail me your price.
                Thanks
                 Ray

                I have a brand new in the crate Industrial Hobbies machine for sale. It currently has a spindle with a 30 taper but it includes a new spindle with an R8 taper.

                C4C

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Ray" <neon_ram48@ ...> wrote:

                > Hi Folks
                > I am new on here and also to machining.
                >
                > I am in the market for a mill and am down to two choices, one is the 6x26 knee mill sold by HF WT and a host of others and the second is a WT ZX45. does anyone have experience with either of these machines?
                > Is the ZX45 in the x-3 family or is it a bigger more rigid mill?
                > I would like to hear the pros and cons of both
                > Thanks
                > Ray Mc

              • C4C
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
                  Ray,

                  Industrial Hobbies web sight: IHCNC.com

                  My machine is a standard mill without CNC. I incurred health problems while I was waiting for the machine to be delivered. I'm battling to regain my health and I have mixed emotions about selling the machine.

                  With that stated, I'm not willing to loose any money on the machine so all I have to offer over IHCNC is that I can ship immediately versus having to wait six months for the machine like I had to. From reading about the experience of others it's not uncommon to endure a long waiting period for delivery of the more popular machines.

                  Where are you located?

                  C4C

                  C4C

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Ray McCrodden <neon_ram48@...> wrote:

                  > could you point me to where the information for that mill is?
                  > E-mail me your price.
                  > Thanks
                  > Ray
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Ray McCrodden
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
                    I am located in north Carolina near Charlotte.

                    My machine is a standard mill without CNC. I incurred health problems while I was waiting for the machine to be delivered. I'm battling to regain my health and I have mixed emotions about selling the machine.

                    With that stated, I'm not willing to loose any money on the machine so all I have to offer over IHCNC is that I can ship immediately versus having to wait six months for the machine like I had to. From reading about the experience of others it's not uncommon to endure a long waiting period for delivery of the more popular machines.

                    Where are you located?

                    C4C

                    C4C

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Ray McCrodden <neon_ram48@ ...> wrote:

                    > could you point me to where the information for that mill is?
                    > E-mail me your price.
                    > Thanks
                    > Ray
                    >

                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  • C4C
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
                      Ray,

                      I'm smack dab in the middle of Kansas so that pretty much rules out me delivering it to you. Regardless of whose machine you decide to buy I will tell you that the IHCNC mill is the Cadillac of Drill/Mill machines. The IHCNC machine might be out of range for your budget and if so then the Grizzly G0484 appears to be a nice machine. There are members of the forum that own the Grizzly G0484 so they can give you their opinion based on hands on experience with the machine.

                      C4C

                      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Ray McCrodden <neon_ram48@...> wrote:

                      > I am located in north Carolina near Charlotte.
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Druid Noibn
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
                        Hi,

                        Agree regarding the Mill/Drills.

                        A few members have the Grizzly G0484 - feel free to ask questions.

                        Take care,
                        DBN

                        I'm smack dab in the middle of Kansas so that pretty much rules out me delivering it to you. Regardless of whose machine you decide to buy I will tell you that the IHCNC mill is the Cadillac of Drill/Mill machines. The IHCNC machine might be out of range for your budget and if so then the Grizzly G0484 appears to be a nice machine. There are members of the forum that own the Grizzly G0484 so they can give you their opinion based on hands on experience with the machine.

                        C4C

                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Ray McCrodden <neon_ram48@ ...> wrote:

                        > I am located in north Carolina near Charlotte.
                        >

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      • Jack Dinan
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 8, 2010
                          Interesting. Where are you located?
                          jack

                          >Ray,
                          >
                          >I have a brand new in the crate Industrial Hobbies machine for sale.
                          >It currently has a spindle with a 30 taper but it includes a new
                          >spindle with an R8 taper.
                          >
                          >C4C
                          >
                          >--- In
                          ><mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com>mill_drill@yahoogroups.com,
                          >"Ray" <neon_ram48@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Hi Folks
                          >> I am new on here and also to machining.
                          >>
                          >> I am in the market for a mill and am down to two choices, one is
                          >>the 6x26 knee mill sold by HF WT and a host of others and the
                          >>second is a WT ZX45. does anyone have experience with either of
                          >>these machines?
                          >> Is the ZX45 in the x-3 family or is it a bigger more rigid mill?
                          >> I would like to hear the pros and cons of both
                          >> Thanks
                          >> Ray Mc

                        • C4C
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 9, 2010
                            Jack,

                            >>Where are you located?<<

                            Which 'you'? There are three 'you's involved with this thread. At the risk of seeming to be self centered I'll go out on a limb and assume that I'm the 'you' that you are referring to. I'm located in Wichita, KS.

                            C4C