Re: [mill_drill] Spindle nut; Seized, pressure-welded, rusted?

  • Arthur Marks
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
      I've thought of that. The nut is fully recessed into the body of the
      head. Only 10mm is accessible above the casting. The full depth (or
      length, however you want to look at it) is >50mm.

      On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
      > Assuming that you have a lathe, I would slit the slit the nut perpendicular to the threads with a cut-off wheel, so that you have a c-shaped ring.  Then hit it in the crack with a chisel in the correct direction to help it spin-off.  Then take a few measurements and turn up a replacement.  This should certainly take less than 6 months to complete.
    • tallgitawr
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
        --I have no experience with your setup, but I have been embarrassed a long time ago, because altho I removed a setscrew from its threaded hole, I didn't realize that what I removed was just actually a "lock" screw, and that there was another Allen screw down in the hole, out of sight unless I looked directly down there with a light.

        I have only seen this done once, but that was a good lesson, and I always double check now.
      • Corey Renner
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
          Would it be possible to centerpunch, and then carefully drill straight-in through the nut leaving only a thin web on the ID and OD?  Then use your spanner on the side that will tend to stretch the nut open as you apply force?

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
            Yeah, that is roughly my idea too. Drill from the top and hope I
            don't hit the spindle. I have no problem re-making the nut,
            especially since I have the other head to measure correct spec's off
            of.

            With regard to another set-screw below the first, I've looked. The
            depth and visually everything matches the assembly drawings I have.
            It is a ~3mm length brass bit which is meant to protect the spindle
            thread from being damaged by the set-screw. The one thing I can't
            figure and is quite amazing in my book, is that the brass piece (from
            much previous experience) is threaded on the end to match the
            spindle/nut! This must have originally been done prior to locking the
            nut because I can tell you---the head of a set-screw will fail before
            you deform a brass inset to the exact shape of a thread. An amazing
            little detail that always has retained a good lock on the nut even
            after the set-screw is removed. But still, not THIS much! No way!
            haha.

            On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:
            > Would it be possible to centerpunch, and then carefully drill straight-in through the nut leaving only a thin web on the ID and OD?  Then use your spanner on the side that will tend to stretch the nut open as you apply force?
          • Dan Mauch
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
              It's almost a standard pactice on many rotating equipment to use a double set screw. One to lock the nut in place and the other to make sure the first one doesn't back out.
              Dan Mauch
              economical 3D scanner software and kits
              low cost stepper and servo motors.
              cases for Gecko drives
              kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
              www.camtronics-cnc.com
              www.seanet.com/~dmauch
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                While I'm at it, I want to say "Thank You" for such a great response
                to my question. 3 distinct posters in less than an hour.
                Spectacular!

                It is much appreciated!!
                Arthur
              • C4C
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                  Arthur,

                  I have encounter similar situations where I ended up having to heli-arc weld lugs on the spanner nut. The expansion and contraction that occurs from the induction of heat will help to loosen the spanner nut.

                  C4C

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "arthur.marks" <arthur.marks@...> wrote:

                  > Hello all,
                  > I have a question related to a vertical head on another milling machine I own. I hope this is not too off-topic from the list. The vertical head is for a horizontal machine, and I have been trying to disassemble it for at least 6 months now. I have previously rebuilt the same model head (different item, but same make/model) so I am familiar with the construction.
                  >
                  > The spindle nut on the rear, threaded portion of the spindle is just not gonna move this time. What would you expect could have happened---from an engineering perspective? The previous one I did was difficult to remove, but this one is positively impossible.
                  >
                  > What I have tried so far:
                  >
                  > *Bought two aerosol cans of penetrating oil from Home Depot (Fabulous "Blaster" PB Penetrating Catalyst). Sprayed twice a day (AM/PM) and smacked the nut with a brass hammer each time for awhile. I did this for a week.
                  >
                  > *Then I filled the spindle with crushed ice and used a small-tip Oxy/Acetylene torch to heat only the nut.
                  >
                  > *Used both an adjustable pin spanner in the threaded hole and then a punch on the square notch on the OD of the nut.
                  >
                  > *Dam* thing broke my $20 pin spanner. I stopped using the punch after the square notch was so deformed that I could not adequately strike it anymore.
                  >
                  > *THEN I bought a can of "CRC Freeze-Off Super Penetrant" because I simply hadn't heard of a penetrating oil working in the manner it claims before. I was also recommended it by someone that had good success with it.
                  >
                  > *I sprayed, waited, then smacked the nut again with the brass hammer according to the instructions. I did this over the course of a day until there was no more left in the can. Tried to force the nut loose again. Nothing.
                  >
                  > The only detail of note with regard to the nut is there are two set-screws to hold position. These have been removed. Between the screw and the spindle is a brass piece. Really, though, I believe this to be of no consequence due to my experience with the previous rebuild. The spindle is hardened steel throughout. The nut is, to the best of my knowledge, plain steel (I have no reason to believe other than CR1018).
                  >
                  > What in the world is going on here?? Is it possible that the nut and the spindle have somehow pressure-welded themselves together? How would that even happen? I can't believe that a *seized* nut could take such punishment and still hold true.
                  >
                  > Any help or alternate ideas are appreciated.
                  >
                  > To turn this full circle back to a mill/drill topic... I'm ready to concoct a way to fixture the spindle from turning and try drilling holes sequentially around the nut to try and break it apart with my RF31. I don't really see another option. A replacement is not going to be found.
                  >
                  > Thank you for reading this long post.
                  > Best Regards,
                  > Arthur

                • Corey Renner
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                    I'd probably make up a drill bushing to guide the drill bit so you don't bugger the threads.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                      Yuasa magnetic indicator base

                      $10.00 plus $5.00 shipping

                      eBay auction #110462257461

                      I just received the the two that I purchased. These are high quality tools as are all of the Yuasa tools that I have purchased throughout the years.

                      C4C
                    • john b
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                        Are you sure it's RH thread, I've been caught going the wrong direction because of LH threads

                        John

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                            Yes. There is enough thread exposed above the nut to confirm it is a
                            RH thread helix. The other was RH too, as a double measure of
                            confirmation.

                            On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM, john b <johnb@...> wrote:
                            > Are you sure it's RH thread, I've been caught going the wrong direction because of LH threads
                          • airkuld
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                              Thanks, C4C! I picked up a pair myself.

                              Airkuld

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "C4C" <cnc4cheap@...> wrote:

                              > Yuasa magnetic indicator base
                              >
                              > -> $5.00 <- plus $5.00 shipping
                              >
                              > eBay auction #110462257461
                              >
                              > I just received the the two that I purchased. These are high quality tools as are all of the Yuasa tools that I have purchased throughout the years.
                              >
                              > C4C

                            • Druid Noibn
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                Hi C4C,

                                Thanks for the heads-up.

                                Take care,
                                DBN

                                I just received the the two that I purchased. These are high quality tools as are all of the Yuasa tools that I have purchased throughout the years.

                                C4C

                              • g.bratton
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                  Thanks C4C
                                  I also got 2.
                                  thanks gary

                                  Sent on a Mac.

                                  On Jan 4, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Druid Noibn wrote:

                                  Hi C4C,

                                  Thanks for the heads-up.

                                  Take care,
                                  DBN

                                  I just received the the two that I purchased. These are high quality tools as are all of the Yuasa tools that I have purchased throughout the years.

                                  C4C

                                • npwbill
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                    Goin' fast... I got two also!!
                                    Thanks a lot for the tip!!
                                    Bill
                                  • M Belfer AllSPA
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                      PERHAPS THIS PROCEDURE, which I have used on a hex security nut when the bolt couldnt otherwise be removed)

                                      1) a row of centre punch marks on a line bisecting one of the flat rectangular faces of the nut, say 9/64 or 5/32 apart,
                                      2) then drill at each mark 1/8 with a 135-degree (or more) sharpened drill, depth set not to get into the shaft;
                                      3) cold chisel the spaces between the holes, and you have the same effect as a dremel-diamond-disk cut slot converting the nut to a c-shaped threaded washer,
                                      4) blunt chisel on the side of the slot tending to unscrew the butchered nut............

                                      also, another thought, any chance the brass pin goes below the shaft surface?  In that case the above procedure needs to be modified, the drilling needs to start with a mark at the position of the brass pin and drill diameter a weeny bit larger than the brass pin to make sure it is all removed (should not have gone below the shaft surface, as it was probably there just as a pressure pad for the setscrew, but, it HAS been known to happen for the occasional variation in assembly procedures of far-eastern machnery to occur !!!)
                                      Michael dow-nunda

                                      On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM, john b <johnb@omnitelcom. com> wrote:
                                      > Are you sure it's RH thread, I've been caught going the wrong direction because of LH threads

                                    • Rexarino
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                        Are the two setscrews at 90 degrees, or 180 degrees to each other?  If 180 degrees, then the brass piece could be a pin that someone drilled so that it goes through the shaft - instead of a small piece that bears on the threads.

                                        snip

[...]

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                           Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                           mill_drill-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                           mill_drill-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      • Arthur Marks
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                          I'm working on the welding a lug to the nut idea...

                                          The pins are 90 degrees to each other. As before, I do not see this
                                          as a set-screw/pin/brass bit issue. This is the fourth spindle I've
                                          worked on by this manufacturer. All with the same locking
                                          construction for the rear nut. This tool was bought with intent to
                                          fully rebuild---it had been sitting outside in a barn for years.
                                          Hence, I believe this is more of a metallurgical issue. Of what
                                          nature, I am not sure. I am going to try to get this steel leverage
                                          piece welded onto the nut. If it still doesn't move with a good
                                          cheater bar, well, then that will be interesting!

                                          Arthur
                                        • C4C
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                            Arthur,

                                            You might want to locate a piece of pipe or steel tubing with the appropriate diameter and that would allow you to drill a through hole for your cheater bar. By going the route you could weld 4 places at 90° index and lessen the aount of welding in a concemtrated area.

                                            C4C

                                            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Arthur Marks <arthur.marks@...> wrote:

                                            > I'm working on the welding a lug to the nut idea...
                                            >
                                            > The pins are 90 degrees to each other. As before, I do not see this
                                            > as a set-screw/pin/brass bit issue. This is the fourth spindle I've
                                            > worked on by this manufacturer. All with the same locking
                                            > construction for the rear nut. This tool was bought with intent to
                                            > fully rebuild---it had been sitting outside in a barn for years.
                                            > Hence, I believe this is more of a metallurgical issue. Of what
                                            > nature, I am not sure. I am going to try to get this steel leverage
                                            > piece welded onto the nut. If it still doesn't move with a good
                                            > cheater bar, well, then that will be interesting!
                                            >
                                            > Arthur

                                          • Arthur Marks
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                              Yeah. I have some fairly thick scrap steel plate. I've bored a hole
                                              to match the OD of the exposed nut. I need to take it over to a
                                              friend's and get it welded. I figure he can put a thick tack 4 places
                                              (every 90 degrees) or even all the way around. I've left a section
                                              that is reduced in width on one section of the scrap. That fits
                                              inside the cheater bar for my bender. I'm hoping 30" of leverage will
                                              break it loose! That's the plan, anyway...

                                              Arthur

                                              On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM, C4C <cnc4cheap@...> wrote:
                                              > You might want to locate a piece of pipe or steel tubing with the appropriate diameter and that would allow you to drill a through hole for your cheater bar. By going the route you could weld 4 places at 90° index and lessen the aount of welding in a concemtrated area.
                                            • curt wuollet
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 4, 2010
                                                Have somebody tap it while you
                                                bend the cheater. It's probably
                                                pressure fretting. Look for oxide,
                                                corrosion and a rough surface.

                                                Regards

                                                cww

                                                Arthur Marks wrote:
                                                > Yeah. I have some fairly thick scrap steel plate. I've bored a hole
                                                > to match the OD of the exposed nut. I need to take it over to a
                                                > friend's and get it welded. I figure he can put a thick tack 4 places
                                                > (every 90 degrees) or even all the way around. I've left a section
                                                > that is reduced in width on one section of the scrap. That fits
                                                > inside the cheater bar for my bender. I'm hoping 30" of leverage will
                                                > break it loose! That's the plan, anyway...
                                                >
                                                > Arthur
                                                >
                                                > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:01 PM, C4C <cnc4cheap@...> wrote:
                                                >> You might want to locate a piece of pipe or steel tubing with the appropriate diameter and that would allow you to drill a through hole for your cheater bar. By going the route you could weld 4 places at 90° index and lessen the aount of welding in a concemtrated area.

                                              • g.bratton

                                                  I just received the the two that I purchased. These are high quality tools as are all of the Yuasa tools that I have purchased throughout the years.

                                                  C4C

                                                • Snag
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
                                                    g.bratton <g.bratton@...> wrote:
                                                    > Has any one got there dial indicator stands??
                                                    > gary
                                                    > Sent on a Mac.
                                                    >

                                                    > On Jan 4, 2010, at 5:58 PM, g.bratton wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    >> Thanks C4C
                                                    >> I also got 2.
                                                    >> thanks gary
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Sent on a Mac.
                                                    >>

                                                    >> On Jan 4, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Druid Noibn wrote:
                                                    >>

                                                    >>> Hi C4C,
                                                    >>>
                                                    >>> Thanks for the heads-up.
                                                    >>>
                                                    >>> Take care,
                                                    >>> DBN

                                                    Mine came last friday . 'Bout the same quality as the last one I bought for
                                                    a similar price .

                                                    Snag
                                                  • Roger Blair
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010

                                                      I received two Thursday…

                                                      Roger

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
                                                        Ordered mine on the 4th, as of today nothing. maybe tomorrow.
                                                        thanks gary

                                                        On Jan 15, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Roger Blair wrote:

                                                        I received two Thursday…
                                                        Roger

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 15, 2010
                                                          Hi Gary,

                                                          Yes,  I ordered two - arrived a couple of days ago - no problem.

                                                          Take care,
                                                          DBN

                                                          I just received the the two that I purchased. These are high quality tools as are all of the Yuasa tools that I have purchased throughout the years.

                                                          C4C

                                                        • Dave Hills
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 16, 2010
                                                            Same Here!