Surface milling problems

  • jschroed99
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009
      I have a RF30 type mill/drill. The finish results of surfacing steel are less than I expected. I am using a 2 1/2", four blade carbide insert facing cutter. Despite slow table feed speed there are visible "grooves" in the surface. I have been spinning the tool at 450 rpm. I cannot determine the source of these marks,the mill is new and the spindle bearings appear to good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

      Jim
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009
        Jim,

        Try running at max rpms.

        Rick Sparber
        rgsparber@...
        rick.Sparber.org

        Composed on my iPod Touch

        On Dec 30, 2009, at 9:30 AM, "jschroed99" <jim@...> wrote:

        > I have a RF30 type mill/drill. The finish results of surfacing
        > steel are less than I expected. I am using a 2 1/2", four blade
        > carbide insert facing cutter. Despite slow table feed speed there
        > are visible "grooves" in the surface. I have been spinning the tool
        > at 450 rpm. I cannot determine the source of these marks,the mill is
        > new and the spindle bearings appear to good. Any ideas would be
        > greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Jim

      • Jim Schroeder
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009
          Thanks Rick, that made a very large improvement.

          Jim

          Rick wrote:

          Jim,

          Try running at max rpms.

          Rick Sparber
          rgsparber@aol. com
          rick.Sparber. org

          Composed on my iPod Touch

          On Dec 30, 2009, at 9:30 AM, "jschroed99" <jim@rjschroeder. com> wrote:

          > I have a RF30 type mill/drill. The finish results of surfacing
          > steel are less than I expected. I am using a 2 1/2", four blade
          > carbide insert facing cutter. Despite slow table feed speed there
          > are visible "grooves" in the surface. I have been spinning the tool
          > at 450 rpm. I cannot determine the source of these marks,the mill is
          > new and the spindle bearings appear to good. Any ideas would be
          > greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Jim

        • Rick Sparber
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 30, 2009

            Jim,

            Glad I could help. It was sure scary the first time I ran such a large cutter at max speed.

            Rick