Re: [mill_drill] Gear head Mill - Oil around Spindle

  • ppump11578@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2002
      Yes slow but always there.

      Phil Pumphrey
      ppump11578@...
    • gear_head_craig
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2002
        Here it goes; I used 1 qt of 90w Slick50, and the remainder 90w gear
        lube. I've used Slick50 in my car transmission and noticed a
        reduction in gear noise and smoother operation. I think the Teflon
        additive is a good Extreme Pressure (EP) additive and cushions the
        metal to metal contact that causes wear. I didn't want to use 100%
        Slick 50 due to the expense and the other lube also has EP additives.
        I've noticed a slight reduction in the gear noise at the highest
        speed but nothing appreciable. It does run smoother though and
        generates less heat. I think 30w is not sticky enough to be a good
        gear lube. I haven't looked inside to see how the lube system works
        but I bet it is a splash system and you want sticky and the EP
        additives such as Teflon and other solids. Motor oil uses anti wear
        additives two different lubes for different purposes. Stick with lube
        that has the EP additives. DISCLAIMER: This is only my opinion, I
        don't want to be liable for any damage other that what I cause to
        myself.

        Other things I've built since receipt is a jacking caster base that I
        use under the stand so I can move the thing around and a flood
        cooling system. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. The
        caster base works better than some mechanical engineer friends or I
        thought it would. I used 2x2x0.125 angle to frame the base. Then
        welded 2-4x4x0.25x4" angle at the back corners and 2 as outriggers at
        the front sides. I used 2 fixed 3" casters at the back and 2
        modified swivel casters at the front. I'm having more fun tricking
        this thing (we now call Igor) out than using it for my original
        intentions (need).

        Craig

        --- In mill_drill@y..., "Mario L Vitale" <mariol.vitale@a...> wrote:
        > Graig,
        > I had the same experience...had to run out for the third jug of
        gear lube. By the way, did this group ever decide what oil should be
        used in the gearbox? The *manual* says "heavy motor oil" (whatever
        that is), I used 90W gear oil, I belive someone use 30W oil, what did
        you use, Craig? Any more opinions?, facts!?!?.......
        > That was my post about the leaky sight glass. I didn't see any
        sign of pin spanner dimples on my sight glass, of course they could
        be buried under the *bondo* that's smerared over every joint on the
        machine. I'll have to look more closely.
        > THanks for the tip.

        Mario

        Service.