Re: I learned something today and may be tomorrow

  • philteague
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- In mill_drill@y..., "jcgerb" <j.c.gerber@t...> wrote:
      > Hi Phil,
      >
      > When you say using the shop vac, do you have a particular way of
      vacuuming while milling ?

      Yes, as I milled the piece of aluminum (4" X 13") using the power
      feed on the X axis of my mill/drill I held the end of the vacuum hose
      in my left hand with the noozle as close to the end mill as I could
      get it. And, I hold the oil can with WD-40 in my other hand giving an
      occassional squirt on the end mill. It works. Although sometimes the
      vacuum hose gets clogged up which results in aluminum chips getting
      flung around.
      I have taken to using the vacuum for almost all of the milling work I
      do. It keeps me from having to do more cleanup later and at times I
      believe it may act to cool the cutter and workpiece. I only wished
      that I had a little larger shopvac. The one I have is pretty small
      (although that can be handy sometimes) so that I have to empty it out
      fairly frequently. I consider a shopvac to be an indispensible tool
      in my workshop.

      > I made recently a good swap of different items against my former
      wood lathe and amongst others took a 20 years old industrial vac
      which I have restaured to perfection now. Finished the b.... clogged
      vacs hoses; a Ø 3" hose makes wonders too.