I learned something today and may be tomorrow

  • jcgerb
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hi Phil,

      When you say using the shop vac, do you have a particular way of vacuuming while milling ?

      I made recently a good swap of different items against my former wood lathe and amongst others took a 20 years old industrial vac which I have restaured to perfection now. Finished the b.... clogged vacs hoses; a Ø 3" hose makes wonders too.

      Jean-Claude, Switzerland

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- In mill_drill@y..., "jcgerb" <j.c.gerber@t...> wrote:
        > Hi Phil,
        >
        > When you say using the shop vac, do you have a particular way of
        vacuuming while milling ?

        Yes, as I milled the piece of aluminum (4" X 13") using the power
        feed on the X axis of my mill/drill I held the end of the vacuum hose
        in my left hand with the noozle as close to the end mill as I could
        get it. And, I hold the oil can with WD-40 in my other hand giving an
        occassional squirt on the end mill. It works. Although sometimes the
        vacuum hose gets clogged up which results in aluminum chips getting
        flung around.
        I have taken to using the vacuum for almost all of the milling work I
        do. It keeps me from having to do more cleanup later and at times I
        believe it may act to cool the cutter and workpiece. I only wished
        that I had a little larger shopvac. The one I have is pretty small
        (although that can be handy sometimes) so that I have to empty it out
        fairly frequently. I consider a shopvac to be an indispensible tool
        in my workshop.