I learned something today

  • pbw630us
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2002
      I was cutting Al with a 5/8 4 f. end mill at 1100 rpm and taking
      off .300 thou at a time with a dry cut. I saw that on the up cut
      that chips were beening carried around and stuck to the cut surface.
      On the return {climb cut} the surface was left clean. I reduced
      speed to 800 and the cut looked the same. I sprayed a little wd-40
      on the cut and tool and the problem cleared up. Nice clear cuts even
      at 1100 rpm. A little lube does wonders.

      Paul Weber
    • docholliday01201
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
        Now, did you immediatly take the part out of the vice, run
        upstairs, and interupt your wife to show her how well it works. If
        not then you truly have not yet learned !!!!
      • philteague
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2002
          I have recently had much the same experience using a 3/4" endmill and
          milling off .320" at 1500 rpm. The WD-40 really does make a big
          difference. One problem when doing this is that it sprays chips
          everywhere unless I use a shopvac to suck up all the Al. Isn't it
          great to learn as you go?
          Phil Teague