Re: [mill_drill] Re: Want opinions on vise choice quick please!

  • Terry Coombs
    Message 1 of 28 , May 2, 2009
      Denis wrote:
      > Snag,
      > There are 3 holes on the back side of the movable jaw. The center one
      > contains a set screw that pushes against a small casting in the jaw
      > that pushes against the casting that the screw goes through. Tighten
      > it until you feel resistance (not too tight). It won't completely
      > remove the slop but it helps to prevent most of it.
      >
      > Denis

      It also told me that there's a bit of wear when the jaws are nearly closed
      ... since it has more resistance as it approaches fully open .
      Thanks !
      --
      Snag
      every answer
      Message 2 of 28 , May 2, 2009
        Thanks for all the replies. I decided to put the big $ into a 8" Phase II h/v rotary table with tailstock and dividing plates and went for a 5" Enco vise instead of the 6" Kurt. At only $93 and free shipping it was too good of a deal to not try it, since several of you seemed to have a decent experience using one. If it turns out to be inadequate I'm not out a bunch and there will be another sale at Enco. It's nice when you can take an extra 20% off of already sale priced stuff.
        Steve

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Albright" <salbright@...> wrote:

        > Rick, I have thought about that. However the base of the vise has quite a few large divots out of it from drills and end mills mostly. The jaws are hardened and mount to the vise with socket head cap screws that go through the vise into threads in the jaws. I considered this after your post a while back about soft jaws. In order to make jaws out of aluminum with the threads in the jaw they would need to be thicker than the steel ones and it's already marginal on space. The fixed jaw is is over 3" from the back side to the inside of the jaw which limits me to about 4.5" of useful Y-axis capacity. The Bridgeport vise only opens to 5" which works with the limited travel but limits the size of part. With a face mill or fly cutter I cna still mill a bigger part than my vise will hold. The other thing that's annoying is the amount of jaw lift when tightening. I have to tighten slowly while alternating with tapping the part down if I want it tight against parallels. Thanks for your post.
        > Steve
        >
        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Steve,
        > >
        > > Have you considered restoring the Bridgeport vise? As long as there
        > > are no cracked castings, it should be possible to make it as good as
        > > new. I "restored" my Enco after I bought it:
        > >
        > > http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/ViseDef/ViDef.htm
        > >
        > > In case you don't know about soft jaws:
        > >
        > > http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/sj/sj6.pdf
        > >
        > > You may find other things of interest at:
        > >
        > > http://rick.sparber.org/ma.htm
        > >
        > > Rick

      • Phil Teague
        Message 3 of 28 , May 3, 2009
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Coombs" <snagone@...> wrote:

          > Richard Sparber wrote:
          > > Did you ck the fixed jaw? That was my big surprise.
          >
          > Yup , checked it first . It didn't move at all . And I was a bit surprised
          > the movable jaw moved up , because of the way it's built .
          > --

          I had the same problem with my 4" Enco -- I would tighten the middle screw in the moveable jaw till it was tight and yet the jaw would still move up. I took off the moveable jaw and reassembled it. It now seems to tighten down so that the jaw does not move up. It's worth a try.

          Phil T.
        • Terry Coombs
          Message 4 of 28 , May 3, 2009
            Phil Teague wrote:
            > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Coombs" <snagone@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Richard Sparber wrote:
            >>> Did you ck the fixed jaw? That was my big surprise.
            >>
            >> Yup , checked it first . It didn't move at all . And I was a bit
            >> surprised the movable jaw moved up , because of the way it's built .
            >> --
            >
            > I had the same problem with my 4" Enco -- I would tighten the
            > middle screw in the moveable jaw till it was tight and yet the jaw
            > would still move up. I took off the moveable jaw and reassembled it.
            > It now seems to tighten down so that the jaw does not move up. It's
            > worth a try.
            >
            > Phil T.

            I haven't checked it since tightening that screw , guess I need to . If it
            still moves , I'll do as you did , disassemble , clean and check . So far
            the accuracy hasn't been an issue , I seldom do anything that requires that
            kind of precision .
            I'm just lazy , that thing is heavy , and it pretty much stays bolted down
            on the right side of the mill table . I should probably take it off
            occasionally just to clean under it ...
            Snag
            every answer
            leads to another
            question
          • Terry Coombs
            Message 5 of 28 , May 3, 2009
              Terry Coombs wrote:
              > Phil Teague wrote:
              >> --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Coombs" <snagone@...>
              >> wrote:

              >>> Yup , checked it first . It didn't move at all . And I was a bit
              >>> surprised the movable jaw moved up , because of the way it's built .
              >>> --
              >>
              >> I had the same problem with my 4" Enco -- I would tighten the
              >> middle screw in the moveable jaw till it was tight and yet the jaw
              >> would still move up. I took off the moveable jaw and reassembled it.
              >> It now seems to tighten down so that the jaw does not move up. It's
              >> worth a try.
              >>
              >> Phil T.
              >
              > I haven't checked it since tightening that screw , guess I need to .
              > If it still moves , I'll do as you did , disassemble , clean and
              > check . So far the accuracy hasn't been an issue , I seldom do
              > anything that requires that kind of precision .
              > I'm just lazy , that thing is heavy , and it pretty much stays
              > bolted down on the right side of the mill table . I should probably
              > take it off occasionally just to clean under it ...
              > Snag
              > every answer
              > leads to another
              > question

              Well , that was an afternoon ... not sure if it was well spent or not !
              I've had the vise off the mill and apart , lost two of the thrust balls and
              the pivot pin in my mess of a shed/shop . I call that place The PigPen ...
              Loss of the balls shouldn't be that big of a deal , hopefully - I think
              I'm going to make a better bearing/race set of 4140 that stuf in there is
              soft . The races were both very hammered - I think the ball carrier is
              bound up in the bore , but can't really tell . I chucked the races in my
              lathe and cleaned them up , it feels a lot smoother when tightening now .
              The new pivot pin is made of stainless ...
              I tested the movable jaw lift again after reassembling , and the movement
              varies depending on where in the jaw the piece is clamped . When the work is
              clamped at the bottom , it lifts less than a thou , at the top about a thou
              anna half . I can live with that ... and now I understand why many
              machinists use clamp dogs instead of a vise .
              My next project will be a small screwless vise , got the stock and grabbed
              some plans off the web . Plans are for the fixed jaw and the slideways to be
              one piece , with a bolt-on base to mount it to the table . More fun !
              Snag
              every answer
              leads to another
              question
            • Rick Sparber
              Message 6 of 28 , May 3, 2009
                Snag,

                One really cool thing about soft jaws is that you machine them with a
                spacer positioned close to what you are going to hold. In this way any
                tilt in the jaw is canceled.

                Message 7 of 28 , May 3, 2009
                  Rick Sparber wrote:
                  > Snag,
                  >
                  > One really cool thing about soft jaws is that you machine them with a
                  > spacer positioned close to what you are going to hold. In this way any
                  > tilt in the jaw is canceled.
                  >
                  > Rick
                  And when the weather here clears and I can fire up the foundry , I'll be
                  casting a set of blanks (I hate waste ... casting minimizes it) . Another
                  cool thing about soft jaws is that you can make them so you can hold larger
                  pieces than the nominal size of the vise . I think I saw that on the website
                  of someone from this group - might have been yours , you got some really
                  neat stuff there .
                  --
                  Snag
                  every answer
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 3, 2009
                    Snag,

                    There is an article on soft jaws on my web site but I was more of an
                    editor that the author. Got a lot of help from others on this one.

                    I cut mine from rectangular stock - no waste.

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 3, 2009
                      Rick Sparber wrote:
                      > Snag,
                      >
                      > There is an article on soft jaws on my web site but I was more of an
                      > editor that the author. Got a lot of help from others on this one.
                      >
                      > I cut mine from rectangular stock - no waste.
                      >
                      > Rick

                      And since my stock is all in ingots that are 1.5" X 1.5" X 10" , I'll be
                      casting some pieces that are around 2 x 5 x .75 , which will be basically
                      the same as the stock you used . This material is all salvage , from cracked
                      wheels , cylinder heads , and scrap extrusions . Six bucks worth of propane
                      will salvage a lot more than a pound of aluminum ... I've used about a tank
                      and a half , got close to a hundred pounds of ingot ready for projects .
                      --
                      Snag