VFD ON MILLS

  • Robert Hansberger
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 26, 2009
      Home Shop Machnist magazine ran an article on BP size mill VFD conversion. The project even covered replacing the step pulleys with timing belt and pulleys. The write recommended a ratio of 6 driver to 10 driven, meaning like a 60 tooth drive pulley and 100 tooth driven. It was more complicated than I wanted to tackle at the time so I stayed
      with step pulleys and set the step pulley to approximate that and it has worked fine. But if I have to replace the spindle bearing etc I think I would change to the timing belt and pulleys.
      Bob
    • Art Eckstein
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
        On my RF31, I installed a VFD a long time ago and for a long period
        of time, have been playing with numbers on a spread sheet.

        The other evening, I had a brain fart and using the original pulleys,
        I found that if I slid the motor down one belt width, and then used
        the top of the jack shaft to top of the spindle as a "permanent"
        setting; and then using the new alignment of the top of the motor
        pulley to the second down on the jack shaft and as an alternate for
        high speed, the third down on the motor to the bottom of the jack
        shaft that I could achieve very acceptable results! The only cost
        was for a new B30 belt between the motor and the jack shaft and I
        needed to replace that old Chinese original anyhow!

        I run my vfd from 12 hz to 116 hz and have the following speed ranges
        (measured with a tach):

        Low 116 - 1120 rpm
        High 408 - 3943 rpm

        I don't think this is to bad a range for this machine. Also at the
        highest speed, the jack shaft pulley is rotating at about 4482 rpm on
        those ball bearings which is well below its max rating.

        Thought some inquiring minds would like to know:})

        Country Bubba

        At 06:00 PM 4/26/2009, you wrote:
        >Home Shop Machnist magazine ran an article on BP size mill VFD
        >conversion. The project even covered replacing the step pulleys with
        >timing belt and pulleys. The write recommended a ratio of 6 driver
        >to 10 driven, meaning like a 60 tooth drive pulley and 100 tooth
        >driven. It was more complicated than I wanted to tackle at the time
        >so I stayed
        >with step pulleys and set the step pulley to approximate that and it
        >has worked fine. But if I have to replace the spindle bearing etc I
        >think I would change to the timing belt and pulleys.
        >Bob

      • Torsten
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
          This sounds like a great way to simplyfy changing to a new
          range. Could you expain what you did in more detail maybe a picture?
          I am also uncertain about the pully diameters involved.
          I was gone try something similar when I get my VFD installed.
          Whas thinking to simplyfy it down to 2 or 3 ranges and possibly redesign the middle Transfer Pully so that the Range can be selected by a Lever actuator between the 2 or 3 choices.

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

          > On my RF31, I installed a VFD a long time ago and for a long period
          > of time, have been playing with numbers on a spread sheet.
          >
          > The other evening, I had a brain fart and using the original pulleys,
          > I found that if I slid the motor down one belt width, and then used
          > the top of the jack shaft to top of the spindle as a "permanent"
          > setting; and then using the new alignment of the top of the motor
          > pulley to the second down on the jack shaft and as an alternate for
          > high speed, the third down on the motor to the bottom of the jack
          > shaft that I could achieve very acceptable results! The only cost
          > was for a new B30 belt between the motor and the jack shaft and I
          > needed to replace that old Chinese original anyhow!
          >

          > I run my vfd from 12 hz to 116 hz and have the following speed ranges
          > (measured with a tach):
          >
          > Low 116 - 1120 rpm
          > High 408 - 3943 rpm
          >
          > I don't think this is to bad a range for this machine. Also at the
          > highest speed, the jack shaft pulley is rotating at about 4482 rpm on
          > those ball bearings which is well below its max rating.
          >
          > Thought some inquiring minds would like to know:})
          >

          > Country Bubba
          >

          > At 06:00 PM 4/26/2009, you wrote:
          > >Home Shop Machnist magazine ran an article on BP size mill VFD
          > >conversion. The project even covered replacing the step pulleys with
          > >timing belt and pulleys. The write recommended a ratio of 6 driver
          > >to 10 driven, meaning like a 60 tooth drive pulley and 100 tooth
          > >driven. It was more complicated than I wanted to tackle at the time
          > >so I stayed
          > >with step pulleys and set the step pulley to approximate that and it
          > >has worked fine. But if I have to replace the spindle bearing etc I
          > >think I would change to the timing belt and pulleys.
          > >Bob

        • Art Eckstein
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
            OK, hopefully this will come through

            The motor is on the left, the jackshaft (Transfer Pulley) is in the middle and the motor pulley on the right

            Emacs!

            This is a representation taken from on of the manuals.  The "permanent" location of the belt between the spindle and the jack shaft is in the top position and because the motor pulley has been moved down one belt width, the belt can be positioned in either position shown by simply loosening the tension unit on the motor, move the belt and re tension.

            If you still need the pictures, I will go to the shop in the morning and see what I can do.

            The pulley diameters are close to the following (hard to measure on the machine)

            Estimated Pulley Diameters
            Spindle jack motor
            6.2        5.5
            7.044    4.6    1.7
            7.794    3.6    2.35
            8.594    2.5   3.26
                                  3.912

            Dimensions are in inches and I have attempted once again to show the new alignment.

            The fixed belt is on the 6.2 - 5.5 at the top of the stack
            Low range is on the 4.6 - 1.7
            High range is on the 2.5 - 3.26

            Hope this helps.

            Country Bubba

            At 07:40 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
            This sounds like a great way to simplyfy changing to a new
            range. Could you expain what you did in more detail maybe a picture?
            I am also uncertain about the pully diameters involved.
            I was gone try something similar when I get my VFD installed.
            Whas thinking to simplyfy it down to 2 or 3 ranges and possibly redesign the middle Transfer Pully so that the Range can be selected by a Lever actuator between the 2 or 3 choices.

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

            > On my RF31, I installed a VFD a long time ago and for a long period
            > of time, have been playing with numbers on a spread sheet.
            >
            > The other evening, I had a brain fart and using the original pulleys,
            > I found that if I slid the motor down one belt width, and then used
            > the top of the jack shaft to top of the spindle as a "permanent"
            > setting; and then using the new alignment of the top of the motor
            > pulley to the second down on the jack shaft and as an alternate for
            > high speed, the third down on the motor to the bottom of the jack
            > shaft that I could achieve very acceptable results!  The only cost
            > was for a new B30 belt between the motor and the jack shaft and I
            > needed to replace that old Chinese original anyhow!
            >

            > I run my vfd from 12 hz to 116 hz and have the following speed ranges
            > (measured with a tach):
            >
            > Low     116 - 1120 rpm
            > High    408 - 3943 rpm
            >
            > I don't think this is to bad a range for this machine. Also at the
            > highest speed, the jack shaft pulley is rotating at about 4482 rpm on
            > those ball bearings which is well below its max rating.
            >
            > Thought some inquiring minds would like to know:})
            >

            > Country Bubba
            >

            > At 06:00 PM 4/26/2009, you wrote:
            > >Home Shop Machnist magazine ran an article on BP size mill VFD
            > >conversion. The project even covered replacing the step pulleys with
            > >timing belt and pulleys. The write recommended a ratio of 6 driver
            > >to 10 driven, meaning like a 60 tooth drive pulley and 100 tooth
            > >driven. It was more complicated than I wanted to tackle at the time
            > >so I stayed
            > >with step pulleys and set the step pulley to approximate that and it
            > >has worked fine. But if I have to replace the spindle bearing etc I
            > >think I would change to the timing belt and pulleys.
            > >Bob

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
              Hey there,

              Nice work and it did come through........
              I noticed your name at the end, I think cnccookbook fellow referenced your work on a project he liked - I cant remember. Am I correct?
              Just wanted to ask, it was bugging me........

              Good work I am certainly keeping an eye on this thread.
              Take care
              Christian

              At 07:40 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:

              This sounds like a great way to simplyfy changing to a new
              range. Could you expain what you did in more detail maybe a picture?
              I am also uncertain about the pully diameters involved.
              I was gone try something similar when I get my VFD installed.
              Whas thinking to simplyfy it down to 2 or 3 ranges and possibly redesign the middle Transfer Pully so that the Range can be selected by a Lever actuator between the 2 or 3 choices.

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@ ...> wrote:

              > On my RF31, I installed a VFD a long time ago and for a long period
              > of time, have been playing with numbers on a spread sheet.
              >
              > The other evening, I had a brain fart and using the original pulleys,
              > I found that if I slid the motor down one belt width, and then used
              > the top of the jack shaft to top of the spindle as a "permanent"
              > setting; and then using the new alignment of the top of the motor
              > pulley to the second down on the jack shaft and as an alternate for
              > high speed, the third down on the motor to the bottom of the jack
              > shaft that I could achieve very acceptable results!  The only cost
              > was for a new B30 belt between the motor and the jack shaft and I
              > needed to replace that old Chinese original anyhow!
              >

              > I run my vfd from 12 hz to 116 hz and have the following speed ranges
              > (measured with a tach):
              >
              > Low     116 - 1120 rpm
              > High    408 - 3943 rpm
              >
              > I don't think this is to bad a range for this machine. Also at the
              > highest speed, the jack shaft pulley is rotating at about 4482 rpm on
              > those ball bearings which is well below its max rating.
              >
              > Thought some inquiring minds would like to know:})
              >

              > Country Bubba
              >

              > At 06:00 PM 4/26/2009, you wrote:
              > >Home Shop Machnist magazine ran an article on BP size mill VFD
              > >conversion. The project even covered replacing the step pulleys with
              > >timing belt and pulleys. The write recommended a ratio of 6 driver
              > >to 10 driven, meaning like a 60 tooth drive pulley and 100 tooth
              > >driven. It was more complicated than I wanted to tackle at the time
              > >so I stayed
              > >with step pulleys and set the step pulley to approximate that and it
              > >has worked fine. But if I have to replace the spindle bearing etc I
              > >think I would change to the timing belt and pulleys.
              > >Bob

            • Art Eckstein

                At 07:40 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
                This sounds like a great way to simplyfy changing to a new
                range. Could you expain what you did in more detail maybe a picture?
                I am also uncertain about the pully diameters involved.
                I was gone try something similar when I get my VFD installed.
                Whas thinking to simplyfy it down to 2 or 3 ranges and possibly redesign the middle Transfer Pully so that the Range can be selected by a Lever actuator between the 2 or 3 choices.

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:

                > On my RF31, I installed a VFD a long time ago and for a long period
                > of time, have been playing with numbers on a spread sheet.
                >
                > The other evening, I had a brain fart and using the original pulleys,
                > I found that if I slid the motor down one belt width, and then used
                > the top of the jack shaft to top of the spindle as a "permanent"
                > setting; and then using the new alignment of the top of the motor
                > pulley to the second down on the jack shaft and as an alternate for
                > high speed, the third down on the motor to the bottom of the jack
                > shaft that I could achieve very acceptable results!  The only cost
                > was for a new B30 belt between the motor and the jack shaft and I
                > needed to replace that old Chinese original anyhow!
                >

                > I run my vfd from 12 hz to 116 hz and have the following speed ranges
                > (measured with a tach):
                >
                > Low     116 - 1120 rpm
                > High    408 - 3943 rpm
                >
                > I don't think this is to bad a range for this machine. Also at the
                > highest speed, the jack shaft pulley is rotating at about 4482 rpm on
                > those ball bearings which is well below its max rating.
                >
                > Thought some inquiring minds would like to know:})
                >

                > Country Bubba
                >

                > At 06:00 PM 4/26/2009, you wrote:
                > >Home Shop Machnist magazine ran an article on BP size mill VFD
                > >conversion. The project even covered replacing the step pulleys with
                > >timing belt and pulleys. The write recommended a ratio of 6 driver
                > >to 10 driven, meaning like a 60 tooth drive pulley and 100 tooth
                > >driven. It was more complicated than I wanted to tackle at the time
                > >so I stayed
                > >with step pulleys and set the step pulley to approximate that and it
                > >has worked fine. But if I have to replace the spindle bearing etc I
                > >think I would change to the timing belt and pulleys.
                > >Bob

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
                  Hello CB,

                  Not sure which one......I will look through his site,
                  Its a complete gold mine for us non financially gifted LOL
                  I plan to fallow in his footsteps some day some how.........Do you have a page I can look through ( you mentioned DRO page ) ?

                  Thanks!
                  Chrisitian

                  At 07:40 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
                  This sounds like a great way to simplyfy changing to a new
                  range. Could you expain what you did in more detail maybe a picture?
                  I am also uncertain about the pully diameters involved.
                  I was gone try something similar when I get my VFD installed.
                  Whas thinking to simplyfy it down to 2 or 3 ranges and possibly redesign the middle Transfer Pully so that the Range can be selected by a Lever actuator between the 2 or 3 choices.

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@ ...> wrote:

                  > On my RF31, I installed a VFD a long time ago and for a long period
                  > of time, have been playing with numbers on a spread sheet.
                  >
                  > The other evening, I had a brain fart and using the original pulleys,
                  > I found that if I slid the motor down one belt width, and then used
                  > the top of the jack shaft to top of the spindle as a "permanent"
                  > setting; and then using the new alignment of the top of the motor
                  > pulley to the second down on the jack shaft and as an alternate for
                  > high speed, the third down on the motor to the bottom of the jack
                  > shaft that I could achieve very acceptable results!  The only cost
                  > was for a new B30 belt between the motor and the jack shaft and I
                  > needed to replace that old Chinese original anyhow!
                  >

                  > I run my vfd from 12 hz to 116 hz and have the following speed ranges
                  > (measured with a tach):
                  >
                  > Low     116 - 1120 rpm
                  > High    408 - 3943 rpm
                  >
                  > I don't think this is to bad a range for this machine. Also at the
                  > highest speed, the jack shaft pulley is rotating at about 4482 rpm on
                  > those ball bearings which is well below its max rating.
                  >
                  > Thought some inquiring minds would like to know:})
                  >

                  > Country Bubba
                  >

                  > At 06:00 PM 4/26/2009, you wrote:
                  > >Home Shop Machnist magazine ran an article on BP size mill VFD
                  > >conversion. The project even covered replacing the step pulleys with
                  > >timing belt and pulleys. The write recommended a ratio of 6 driver
                  > >to 10 driven, meaning like a 60 tooth drive pulley and 100 tooth
                  > >driven. It was more complicated than I wanted to tackle at the time
                  > >so I stayed
                  > >with step pulleys and set the step pulley to approximate that and it
                  > >has worked fine. But if I have to replace the spindle bearing etc I
                  > >think I would change to the timing belt and pulleys.
                  > >Bob

              • Art Eckstein
                Message 8 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
                  Christian

                  This is the link to my cnc page and it has links to the others:

                  http://bellsouthpwp.net/A/r/Arts_home_page/cnc/

                  Country bubba

                  Message 9 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
                    Art,

                    I ran across your web page once before and I found your article on making your own wipers to be intriquing. Have you determined whether or not the brush material is holding up under the oily environment?

                    C4C

                  • Art Eckstein
                    Message 10 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                      Working just fine as best I can tell. The coolant nor way oil seem
                      to affect it. But then again, I only have a few years use on them:})

                      Even the super glue seems to be holding up.

                      Art

                      At 11:17 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
                      >Art,
                      >
                      >I ran across your web page once before and I found your article on
                      >making your own wipers to be intriquing. Have you determined whether
                      >or not the brush material is holding up under the oily environment?
                      >
                      >C4C
                      >
                      >--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Art Eckstein <art.eckstein@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Christian
                      > >
                      > > This is the link to my cnc page and it has links to the others:
                      > >
                      > > http://bellsouthpwp.net/A/r/Arts_home_page/cnc/
                      > >

                      > > Country bubba
                      > >

                      > > At 09:04 PM 4/29/2009, you wrote:
                      > >

                      > > >Hello CB,
                      > > >
                      > > >Not sure which one......I will look through his site,
                      > > >Its a complete gold mine for us non financially gifted LOL
                      > > >I plan to fallow in his footsteps some day some how.........Do you
                      > > >have a page I can look through ( you mentioned DRO page ) ?
                      > > >
                      > > >Thanks!
                      > > >Chrisitian

                    • Chris
                      Message 11 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                        And here is yet another approach originated by Country Bubba and then followed by Pete from TN on CNCZone:

                        Is that you?!

                        Message 12 of 12 , Apr 30, 2009
                          Guilty as charged:})

                          That was based on the way I did mine with some modification.  End result is the same!

                          One of these days, I have to stop making tools and make "stuff"!

                          Country bubba

                          http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/LatheStuff/CNCConversion/PreloadBallscrew/PreloadedBallnut.jpg