Re: Finding the Center of Round Stock?

  • cecil.strange
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 6, 2009
      "My question is this: what's the best way to find the center of the round stock and align it exactly with the x-axis of my mill? It's got a round profile so an edge finder obviously won't work."

      An edge finder will work fine. Pick up the edge on one side of the part and note the dial reading. Lift the edge finder and traverse to the other side of the part while counting your turns along the Y axis. Pick up the opposite edge and note the dial reading. Calculate, or use trial and error checks with the edge finder, to compensate for backlash. The midpoint between the two readings is the midpoint of the work on the X axis. It simply doesn't matter whether you traverse on the Y axis along the center of the part. The deviation from full diameter will be the same at both opposite edges.
    • Chris
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 26, 2009
        Hello all,

        Muuhahahah I finally got it.
        Several issues, my gib strip was a slight banana,,,,,,,,So I added some shim stock to only one portion of the strip.
        I also had to unbolt the whole thing from my massive steel table and shimmed it to death, That cleared up all binding and table unbalancing.....Phew.

        So now both axis gib strips are semi tight with some slight drag - The digital read out does wiggle a bit from 0.00019 to 0.0059 when locking the table, in both direction, but I figured out if I tighten the locks from left to right and from front to back then reverse my unlocking the bed moves into zero position ( where it originally was when I started locking )

        I don't mind any way - half thou is probably more then the mill can do any way.

        Thanks to EVERY one for their input and time - I appreciate it!

        On to another issue........Tramming and squaring up my mill showed me that the gib strip on the head is either banana shaped again or the ways are not ground or scraped properly?
        I can dial it 0.001" over a 8" diameter tramming bar but then when I move my head up say 3 " its out 0.004-0.005" ( I am talking about taking dimensions only after LOCKING the gib strip ) since when I mil I normally lock the head down, Is this a good practice ? ( don't want the end mill deflecting ).

        If I dial my head / clioumn with out locking the gib then I can get far better numbers along the length of it, But I am not sure if that's ideal.

        Any suggestions?!

        THANKS EVERY ONE!
        Christian