Cold concrete

  • Wade
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi, all,

      My shop is in my unheated (except for an almost ineffective KeroSun
      space heater) pole barn, with a cold concrete floor. I usually don't
      do much out there during the coldest days, but yesterday I went out
      there (15°F outside) for a couple of hours. When I came in, I
      couldn't feel my feet anymore! :-)

      Can anyone recommend an inexpensive mat, or mat material that I could
      put down on the concrete in the areas in front of my lathe and
      mill/drill to keep my feet off the concrete? The cold really doesn't
      bother anything very much, except for my feet.

      A mat or similar material would need to be light enough for me to
      carry out to the garden hose for cleaning periodically.

      Thanks in advance, and stay warm!

      Wade
      Port Byron, IL (where winter seemingly never ends)
    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hi Wade,

        You can get "anti-fatigue" mats from many stores, Home Depot, HF, etc... These are foam rubber type material and will insulate as well as aid in foot comfort from standing on a concrete floor.

        Watch out for the pricing - some of these are rather expensive - I cannot attest to the value of the higher-priced items.  Yes, some of the higher-priced items are of top quality; you need to determine the cost/benefit.

        I did pick up a few packages from HF (on sale, cheap) and they do quite well for my shop.

        Take care,
        DBN

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
          Hi Wade,

          Any of the foam rubber mats tend to be soft, while the hard rubber mats
          are not great insulation. For a very sturdy thick rubber mat that isn't
          much more than the fall apart stuff, your local farm supply probably has
          milking stall mats.

          For comfort, thick socks and shoes loose enough to let the socks stay
          thick will work wonders. Cheap insulated boots are even better over
          nice soft thick socks. Yep, I'm old enough to get cold feet too :-)

          My neighbor walled off his shop part of the barn with insulated walls.
          The ceiling is just a drop ceiling with batts of R19 over top. A small
          strip heater keeps the shop at around 50 with no problems. He did a
          linoleum floor. For a full day in the shop he'll kick it up to 70 and
          enjoy being able to feel his fingers and having cutting oil that flows
          rather than clings.

          My parents basement had 3/4 inch plywood over 2X4s wide side down with
          closed cell foam insulation board in between the studs. Not terribly
          expensive and far more comfortable than concrete. Probably not much
          more expensive and maybe cheaper per square foot than thick rubber in
          fact. Heck, these days the hard foam insulation sheets might support a
          layer of 3/4 ply without having to add any furring at all.

          Cheers,
          Stan

          Wade wrote:
          > Hi, all,
          >
          > My shop is in my unheated (except for an almost ineffective KeroSun
          > space heater) pole barn, with a cold concrete floor. I usually don't
          > do much out there during the coldest days, but yesterday I went out
          > there (15°F outside) for a couple of hours. When I came in, I
          > couldn't feel my feet anymore! :-)
          >
          > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive mat, or mat material that I could
          > put down on the concrete in the areas in front of my lathe and
          > mill/drill to keep my feet off the concrete? The cold really doesn't
          > bother anything very much, except for my feet.
          >
          > A mat or similar material would need to be light enough for me to
          > carry out to the garden hose for cleaning periodically.
          >
          > Thanks in advance, and stay warm!
          >
          > Wade
          > Port Byron, IL (where winter seemingly never ends)

        • Philip Burman
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
            A wooden slatted "walk board" works well. The added advantage is the
            chips fall through the slats.

            Phil

            --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Wade,
            >
            > You can get "anti-fatigue" mats from many stores, Home Depot, HF,
            etc... These are foam rubber type material and will insulate as well
            as aid in foot comfort from standing on a concrete floor.

            > Watch out for the pricing - some of these are rather expensive - I
            cannot attest to the value of the higher-priced items.  Yes, some of
            the higher-priced items are of top quality; you need to determine the
            cost/benefit.

            > I did pick up a few packages from HF (on sale, cheap) and they do
            quite well for my shop.

            > Take care,
            > DBN

          • Norm
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
              Have you considered a piece of 1/2 in. or 1 in. thick insulating
              styrofoam (like the pink stuff) from your building supply store (Home
              Depot)?
              This would certainly provide a good barrier between the cold floor and
              your feet. I believe they sell it in 2x8 or 4x8 and you can cut it
              with a sharp knife to any size or shape (depending on your floor
              size/shape).
              You can also put a 1/4 plywood on top if you're concerned about your
              feet leaving marks or prints in the soft foam.
              If you want to go cheaper, a sheet of plastic for vapor barrier and a
              few layers of corrugated cardboard from recycled boxes should also
              provide something warmer on a cold day.

              Norm

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Wade" <sdwest@...> wrote:

              > Hi, all,
              >
              > My shop is in my unheated (except for an almost ineffective KeroSun
              > space heater) pole barn, with a cold concrete floor. I usually don't
              > do much out there during the coldest days, but yesterday I went out
              > there (15°F outside) for a couple of hours. When I came in, I
              > couldn't feel my feet anymore! :-)
              >
              > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive mat, or mat material that I could
              > put down on the concrete in the areas in front of my lathe and
              > mill/drill to keep my feet off the concrete? The cold really doesn't
              > bother anything very much, except for my feet.
              >
              > A mat or similar material would need to be light enough for me to
              > carry out to the garden hose for cleaning periodically.
              >
              > Thanks in advance, and stay warm!
              >
              > Wade
              > Port Byron, IL (where winter seemingly never ends)

            • sdwest
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
                Guys,

                Thank you all for the great ideas, and I'm sure I'm not the only old geezer
                who will benefit from this discussion.

                I made the trip to Lowes today, and found some good looking possibilities.
                Surprisingly, they had a couple models called industrial anti-fatigue mats,
                they were located over in the carpet runner area. They are black, semi-soft,
                solid rubber (not foam), with 1" holes in them for the chips to fall
                through, and raised up on little nubbins underneath for drainage. A 3' X 3'
                rubber mat about 1/2" thick was $19.95, and they were the most expensive.
                They were also just what I was looking for, I believe. They have
                interlocking tabs on two sides, and scored lines every foot so that they can
                be cut, re-configured and fastened back together again. I bought 3 of them,
                enough to set up in front of my lathe and mill. That, together with warmer
                socks and boots, and I'm ready to try again.

                I appreciate all of your thoughts on this subject!

                Regards,
                Wade

                Have you considered a piece of 1/2 in. or 1 in. thick insulating
                styrofoam (like the pink stuff) from your building supply store (Home
                Depot)?
                This would certainly provide a good barrier between the cold floor and
                your feet. I believe they sell it in 2x8 or 4x8 and you can cut it
                with a sharp knife to any size or shape (depending on your floor
                size/shape).
                You can also put a 1/4 plywood on top if you're concerned about your
                feet leaving marks or prints in the soft foam.
                If you want to go cheaper, a sheet of plastic for vapor barrier and a
                few layers of corrugated cardboard from recycled boxes should also
                provide something warmer on a cold day.

                Norm

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Wade" <sdwest@...> wrote:

                > Hi, all,
                >
                > My shop is in my unheated (except for an almost ineffective KeroSun
                > space heater) pole barn, with a cold concrete floor. I usually don't
                > do much out there during the coldest days, but yesterday I went out
                > there (15°F outside) for a couple of hours. When I came in, I
                > couldn't feel my feet anymore! :-)
                >
                > Can anyone recommend an inexpensive mat, or mat material that I could
                > put down on the concrete in the areas in front of my lathe and
                > mill/drill to keep my feet off the concrete? The cold really doesn't
                > bother anything very much, except for my feet.
                >
                > A mat or similar material would need to be light enough for me to
                > carry out to the garden hose for cleaning periodically.
                >
                > Thanks in advance, and stay warm!
                >
                > Wade
                > Port Byron, IL (where winter seemingly never ends)

              • Lloyd Smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 1, 2009
                  Find a local shop that does wide conveyer belting replacement.  See if they have remnants or can put you in touch with a company that will be replacing any belting soon.  Should be able to pick some up for a reasonable sum.

                • JohnMcLarty@comcast.net

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                      Hi -
                      Harbor Freight have anti-fatigue foam mat sets in sets of four, each about two feet square, with dovetail interlocks on all for sides, and edge pieces included for outside edges. I put three sets down in front of my work bench about three years ago, and they have been great. Easy to sweep off and easy on the feet. Only problem is that small items dropped, (which I tend to do more frequently as I get older), bounce, and if you don't keep a sharp eye on them, can result in you crawling around on your knees looking for them, but that's another advantage of the mats - they're soft on the knees, and don't dent the part you dropped! They're cheap, too, a fraction of the price of regular industrial anti-fatigue mats I've seen.
                      Conrad in Houston.

                    • Jim S.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                        For a good temporary mat, check with your wife to see if she has any old throw or rag rugs squirrelled away. Old bathmats from in front of the shower or carpet samples work too. They will get your feet off of the floor, and the nap of the carpet will pull chips off your shoes. When they too oily and dirty, just toss 'em. Cost= 0.

                        Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)
                      • Curt Wuollet
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 2, 2009
                          Harbor freight and others have
                          matting intended for this purpose
                          and it's quite reasonable, but as far
                          as keeping your feet warm, I find
                          a pair of the cheap imported felt
                          lined all rubber boots to be far
                          more effective and you can just
                          change shoes at the "swarf threshold".
                          I bought a couple pair at the local
                          unclaimed freight emporium for
                          $11 a pair. Of course, felt lined boots
                          are high fashion in MN for winter wear.
                          If you buy them big enough, they can be
                          slip ons and little hassle to change into.
                          You don't need a good fit unless you
                          are going to walk long distances where
                          loose felt boots will rub the skin off
                          your shins.

                          Regards

                          cww

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                            LOL!!

                            I have a pair of those felt lined, rubber boots, and they do a pretty good
                            job of keeping my feet warm when I'm doing the snowplowing. I've discovered
                            that taking my socks off and just going barefoot in them works best in order
                            be able to utilize them as slip-ons. They will literally tear all the hair
                            off of your legs at about 10" above the ankle! I call them my "cruel
                            boots".

                            I bought some industrial rubber mats at Lowes last Sunday, and I think
                            they're going to work fine. Of course, I need to take your advice and that
                            of a few of the others about proper footwear, too.

                            Thanks again for the input, and stay warm, summer is comin'!

                            Regards,
                            Wade

                          • dennis@nmt.edu
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                              If there is, would you please post the code number, I have the 15
                              percent off number already, thanks in advance,dwa.

                            • david@fignoggle - IMAP
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                free shipping Code WB9FP (although this expires 3/2) you may be able to
                                call it in...

                                15% off Code WBPM9 expires 3/6

                                btw, we're cleaning up the http://www.superx3.com discounts page
                                (spammers forced us to shut down the forum for a while...)

                                hope this helps!
                                david

                                CNC, Plans/Kits, 8x12 Lathe, Mini-Mill, How-Tos <http://www.fignoggle.com>
                                Sieg X3/Super X3 Mill Information, HF/Enco Coupons <http://www.superx3.com>

                                dennis@... wrote:

                                > If there is, would you please post the code number, I have the 15
                                > percent off number already, thanks in advance,dwa.
                                >

                                > >> Harbor freight and others have
                                > >> matting intended for this purpose
                                > >> and it's quite reasonable, but as far
                                > >> as keeping your feet warm, I find
                                > >> a pair of the cheap imported felt
                                > >> lined all rubber boots to be far
                                > >> more effective and you can just
                                > >> change shoes at the "swarf threshold".
                                > >> I bought a couple pair at the local
                                > >> unclaimed freight emporium for
                                > >> $11 a pair. Of course, felt lined boots
                                > >> are high fashion in MN for winter wear.
                                > >> If you buy them big enough, they can be
                                > >> slip ons and little hassle to change into.
                                > >> You don't need a good fit unless you
                                > >> are going to walk long distances where
                                > >> loose felt boots will rub the skin off
                                > >> your shins.
                                > >>
                                > >> Regards
                                > >>
                                > >> cww

                                > --
                                > believed to be clean.
                              • pacer8020
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 3, 2009
                                  > Enco does not allow "stacking" of codes ---

                                  If the item you want is shown in the current 'hot deals' as having
                                  free frt, then you can apply the 15% to it and get both.

                                  This can be a whopper of a saving on a big ticket tool like the 9x42 &
                                  10x54 mills are free frt til the end of the month and take 15% off
                                  that and it is a huge saving. (thats how I got my 9x42)

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
                                    Just picked up the mail. March 2009 flyer:  Free shipping on your next $25  order.  Offer expires 4/30/09.
                                    Use promo code PRSMAR

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
                                      Hi Jim,

                                      THANKS!

                                      Take care,
                                      DBN

                                      Just picked up the mail. March 2009 flyer:  Free shipping on your next $25  order.  Offer expires 4/30/09.
                                      Use promo code PRSMAR

                                      Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)

                                    • j. eric townsend
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 4, 2009
                                        fwiw...

                                        I don't know why I get an annual printed Enco catalog, but it comes with
                                        a %10 off coupon as well.

                                        Jim S. wrote:
                                        > Just picked up the mail. March 2009 flyer: Free shipping on your next
                                        > $25 order. Offer expires 4/30/09.
                                        > Use promo code PRSMAR
                                        >
                                        > Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)

                                        --
                                        J. Eric "jet" Townsend, CMU Master of Tangible Interaction Design '09

                                        design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net; HF: KG6ZVQ
                                        PGP: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8
                                      • Jim S.
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 5, 2009
                                          Just be careful. Most of these discounts have a "not valid with other offers" clause. Try to pick the best discount for your order.

                                          Jim (Just a guy who likes to build stuff)
                                        • Bill Mader
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 5, 2009
                                            I called and was told I could get the 15% off until Friday but free shipping will not  apply to truck shipping.Anything over 100lbs.
                                            Bill