Re: Counter Balance Weight for a RF45 Mill

  • kben77
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
      Hi Rupert,

      do you have any pictures of your setup ? Where did you get the
      struts ? My only concern about using struts is giving up z axis travel.
      The ones I see have about 12 inches of travel, so you end up losing 5
      inches or so in the z axis.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Evans" <r-evans4@...> wrote:

      > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky and
      > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
      > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
      > backlash from the quill rack).
      > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"

    • Henry Arnold
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
        I also used gas struts to counter balance my head. The pictures are
        in the following folder:

        ist

        My struts, also known as gas springs, are 100 lbs each and are in my
        opinion a better solution than weights and pulleys. I maintained the
        ability to crank up the legs and roll the mill to a different spot
        in my shop which is more difficult with a weight counter balance.
        The strut solution adds less than 10 lbs of weight to the mill.

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rupert,
        >
        > do you have any pictures of your setup ? Where did you get the
        > struts ? My only concern about using struts is giving up z axis
        travel.
        > The ones I see have about 12 inches of travel, so you end up
        losing 5
        > inches or so in the z axis.
        >
        > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Evans" <r-evans4@>
        wrote:

        > > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky
        and
        > > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
        > > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
        > > backlash from the quill rack).
        > > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"

      • Henry Arnold
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
          It amazes me that Yahoo won't allow a paste of URL without it being
          chopped off.

          The gas strut photos are in the Photo folder:

          "Another Z Axis Power Feed"

          wrote:

          > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky
          and
          > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
          > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
          > backlash from the quill rack).
          > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"
          > <martin.connelly@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hey,
          > > >
          > > > Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for
          the
          > > RF45
          > > > mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in
          the
          > > photos
          > > > section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.
          > > >
          > > > I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how
          much
          > > > weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of
          need a
          > > rough
          > > > figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my
          mill,
          > > so
          > > > that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance
          > > weight.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Kevin
          > > >

          > > You could try using a spring balance to find what weight is
          needed
          > > to pull the head up. Another method is to add some temporary
          weight
          > > which you can measure, this does not need to be neat or pretty.
          How
          > > about placing some scales under the head and letting the weight
          rest
          > > on them to find its weight? If you have a suitable lever with a
          > > known weight you can adjust the fulcrum point to where it
          balances
          > > and then calculate the weight required.
          > >
          > > Martin

        • Gary K
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2009
            I just counterweighted a Harbor Freight 42827 (ZAY 7032G) gear head mill. I used about 400 cubic inches of cast iron weights because that's what I had. @0.0283 lb per cubic inch that about 113 pounds. It seems to work pretty good. I'm using a windshield wiper motor for a power lift and the counterweight reduced the current draw from about 6 amps down to 0.8 amps lifting. If you have room for concrete it's much cheaper but the density is only 30% as much.

            Photos in album "Motor lift & counterweight 3/6/09 Gkman1111.

            Hope this helps.