Re: Counter Balance Weight for a RF45 Mill

  • Rupert Evans
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
      I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky and
      are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
      milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
      backlash from the quill rack).
      Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"
      <martin.connelly@...> wrote:

      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey,
      > >
      > > Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for the
      > RF45
      > > mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in the
      > photos
      > > section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.
      > >
      > > I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how much
      > > weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of need a
      > rough
      > > figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my mill,
      > so
      > > that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance
      > weight.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Kevin
      > >

      > You could try using a spring balance to find what weight is needed
      > to pull the head up. Another method is to add some temporary weight
      > which you can measure, this does not need to be neat or pretty. How
      > about placing some scales under the head and letting the weight rest
      > on them to find its weight? If you have a suitable lever with a
      > known weight you can adjust the fulcrum point to where it balances
      > and then calculate the weight required.
      >
      > Martin

    • kben77
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hi Rupert,

        do you have any pictures of your setup ? Where did you get the
        struts ? My only concern about using struts is giving up z axis travel.
        The ones I see have about 12 inches of travel, so you end up losing 5
        inches or so in the z axis.

        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Evans" <r-evans4@...> wrote:

        > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky and
        > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
        > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
        > backlash from the quill rack).
        > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"

      • Henry Arnold
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
          I also used gas struts to counter balance my head. The pictures are
          in the following folder:

          ist

          My struts, also known as gas springs, are 100 lbs each and are in my
          opinion a better solution than weights and pulleys. I maintained the
          ability to crank up the legs and roll the mill to a different spot
          in my shop which is more difficult with a weight counter balance.
          The strut solution adds less than 10 lbs of weight to the mill.

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rupert,
          >
          > do you have any pictures of your setup ? Where did you get the
          > struts ? My only concern about using struts is giving up z axis
          travel.
          > The ones I see have about 12 inches of travel, so you end up
          losing 5
          > inches or so in the z axis.
          >
          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Evans" <r-evans4@>
          wrote:

          > > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky
          and
          > > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
          > > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
          > > backlash from the quill rack).
          > > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"

        • Henry Arnold
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
            It amazes me that Yahoo won't allow a paste of URL without it being
            chopped off.

            The gas strut photos are in the Photo folder:

            "Another Z Axis Power Feed"

            wrote:

            > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky
            and
            > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
            > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
            > backlash from the quill rack).
            > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"
            > <martin.connelly@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hey,
            > > >
            > > > Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for
            the
            > > RF45
            > > > mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in
            the
            > > photos
            > > > section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.
            > > >
            > > > I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how
            much
            > > > weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of
            need a
            > > rough
            > > > figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my
            mill,
            > > so
            > > > that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance
            > > weight.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Kevin
            > > >

            > > You could try using a spring balance to find what weight is
            needed
            > > to pull the head up. Another method is to add some temporary
            weight
            > > which you can measure, this does not need to be neat or pretty.
            How
            > > about placing some scales under the head and letting the weight
            rest
            > > on them to find its weight? If you have a suitable lever with a
            > > known weight you can adjust the fulcrum point to where it
            balances
            > > and then calculate the weight required.
            > >
            > > Martin

          • Gary K
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2009
              I just counterweighted a Harbor Freight 42827 (ZAY 7032G) gear head mill. I used about 400 cubic inches of cast iron weights because that's what I had. @0.0283 lb per cubic inch that about 113 pounds. It seems to work pretty good. I'm using a windshield wiper motor for a power lift and the counterweight reduced the current draw from about 6 amps down to 0.8 amps lifting. If you have room for concrete it's much cheaper but the density is only 30% as much.

              Photos in album "Motor lift & counterweight 3/6/09 Gkman1111.

              Hope this helps.