Counter Balance Weight for a RF45 Mill

  • kben77
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hey,

      Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for the RF45
      mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in the photos
      section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.

      I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how much
      weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of need a rough
      figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my mill, so
      that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance weight.

      Thanks,
      Kevin
    • casy_ch@tbwil.ch
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2009
        Hi Kevin

        I have not used a counter weight on mine but may be the attached pics which I had downloaded a couple of years ago, will help you.

        Jean-Claude, Switzerland
        http://turnandmill.homestead.com

        Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for the RF45
        mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in the photos
        section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.

        I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how much
        weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of need a rough
        figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my mill, so
        that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance weight.

        Thanks,
        Kevin

      • leasingham_connelly
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@...> wrote:

          > Hey,
          >
          > Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for the
          RF45
          > mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in the
          photos
          > section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.
          >
          > I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how much
          > weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of need a
          rough
          > figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my mill,
          so
          > that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance
          weight.

          > Thanks,
          > Kevin

          You could try using a spring balance to find what weight is needed
          to pull the head up. Another method is to add some temporary weight
          which you can measure, this does not need to be neat or pretty. How
          about placing some scales under the head and letting the weight rest
          on them to find its weight? If you have a suitable lever with a
          known weight you can adjust the fulcrum point to where it balances
          and then calculate the weight required.

          Martin
        • Robert Hansberger
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
            -Before you purchase a plate of steel, try some weight from a bar bell
            set. You probably have a friend that has some or can find them in
            a "goodwill" store or at a garage/yard sale.
            Best wishes, Bob

            -- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@...> wrote:

            > Hey,
            >
            > Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for the
            RF45
            > mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in the
            photos
            > section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.
            >
            > I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how much
            > weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of need a
            rough
            > figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my mill, so
            > that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance weight.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Kevin

          • kben77
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
              Yes, last time I moved I threw out 200 lbs of weights, that I had
              moved around for 20 years :) Wish I had them now.

              I am going to stop by a junk yard Monday and see if I can find
              something suitable. I plan on rigging an x axis power feed to the
              z-axis. So, I don't have to totally counter balance the weight.
              The old IH website says the motor is 50 lbs and the head ways 200 lbs.
              So, if I can counter balance a 175 lbs or so that should be well
              within spec for the power feed motor.

              By the way I saw a new ASONG on ebay for $170 plus $30 shipping. Seems
              like a good price if anyone is looking for one.

              regards,
              Kevin

              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hansberger"
              <dreamflyerbob2001@...> wrote:

              > -Before you purchase a plate of steel, try some weight from a bar bell
              > set. You probably have a friend that has some or can find them in
              > a "goodwill" store or at a garage/yard sale.
              > Best wishes, Bob
              >

              > -- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey,
              > >
              > > Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for the
              > RF45
              > > mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in the
              > photos
              > > section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.
              > >
              > > I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how much
              > > weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of need a
              > rough
              > > figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my mill, so
              > > that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance weight.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Kevin

            • Rupert Evans
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
                I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky and
                are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
                milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
                backlash from the quill rack).
                Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"
                <martin.connelly@...> wrote:

                > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey,
                > >
                > > Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for the
                > RF45
                > > mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in the
                > photos
                > > section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.
                > >
                > > I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how much
                > > weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of need a
                > rough
                > > figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my mill,
                > so
                > > that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance
                > weight.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Kevin
                > >

                > You could try using a spring balance to find what weight is needed
                > to pull the head up. Another method is to add some temporary weight
                > which you can measure, this does not need to be neat or pretty. How
                > about placing some scales under the head and letting the weight rest
                > on them to find its weight? If you have a suitable lever with a
                > known weight you can adjust the fulcrum point to where it balances
                > and then calculate the weight required.
                >
                > Martin

              • kben77
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
                  Hi Rupert,

                  do you have any pictures of your setup ? Where did you get the
                  struts ? My only concern about using struts is giving up z axis travel.
                  The ones I see have about 12 inches of travel, so you end up losing 5
                  inches or so in the z axis.

                  --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Evans" <r-evans4@...> wrote:

                  > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky and
                  > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
                  > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
                  > backlash from the quill rack).
                  > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"

                • Henry Arnold
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
                    I also used gas struts to counter balance my head. The pictures are
                    in the following folder:

                    ist

                    My struts, also known as gas springs, are 100 lbs each and are in my
                    opinion a better solution than weights and pulleys. I maintained the
                    ability to crank up the legs and roll the mill to a different spot
                    in my shop which is more difficult with a weight counter balance.
                    The strut solution adds less than 10 lbs of weight to the mill.

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Rupert,
                    >
                    > do you have any pictures of your setup ? Where did you get the
                    > struts ? My only concern about using struts is giving up z axis
                    travel.
                    > The ones I see have about 12 inches of travel, so you end up
                    losing 5
                    > inches or so in the z axis.
                    >
                    > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Rupert Evans" <r-evans4@>
                    wrote:

                    > > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky
                    and
                    > > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
                    > > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
                    > > backlash from the quill rack).
                    > > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"

                  • Henry Arnold
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 7, 2009
                      It amazes me that Yahoo won't allow a paste of URL without it being
                      chopped off.

                      The gas strut photos are in the Photo folder:

                      "Another Z Axis Power Feed"

                      wrote:

                      > I use gas cylinders instead of weights. They are much less bulky
                      and
                      > are less expensive than weights. I use two to counterbalance the
                      > milling head and two to counterbalance the quill (to take out the
                      > backlash from the quill rack).
                      > Rupert--- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"
                      > <martin.connelly@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "kben77" <kben77@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hey,
                      > > >
                      > > > Did any of you guys build a cabled counter balance system for
                      the
                      > > RF45
                      > > > mill ? If so how much weight are you using ? I saw one in
                      the
                      > > photos
                      > > > section by WUKSTA, but it did not have any details.
                      > > >
                      > > > I already built the cable system for mine, just not sure how
                      much
                      > > > weight to use. I want to buy a plate of steel so I kind of
                      need a
                      > > rough
                      > > > figure before I buy it. I don't have a lot of room behing my
                      mill,
                      > > so
                      > > > that is wht I want to use plate steel for the counter balance
                      > > weight.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks,
                      > > > Kevin
                      > > >

                      > > You could try using a spring balance to find what weight is
                      needed
                      > > to pull the head up. Another method is to add some temporary
                      weight
                      > > which you can measure, this does not need to be neat or pretty.
                      How
                      > > about placing some scales under the head and letting the weight
                      rest
                      > > on them to find its weight? If you have a suitable lever with a
                      > > known weight you can adjust the fulcrum point to where it
                      balances
                      > > and then calculate the weight required.
                      > >
                      > > Martin

                    • Gary K
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2009
                        I just counterweighted a Harbor Freight 42827 (ZAY 7032G) gear head mill. I used about 400 cubic inches of cast iron weights because that's what I had. @0.0283 lb per cubic inch that about 113 pounds. It seems to work pretty good. I'm using a windshield wiper motor for a power lift and the counterweight reduced the current draw from about 6 amps down to 0.8 amps lifting. If you have room for concrete it's much cheaper but the density is only 30% as much.

                        Photos in album "Motor lift & counterweight 3/6/09 Gkman1111.

                        Hope this helps.