Fixing a rough running Power Feed.

  • Denis
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hi All,
      Ever since I received my G0484 Mill back in Sept 2008, turning the X
      Axis handle has never been as smooth as the Y Axis handle. There has
      alway been a single spot in it revolution that it would stick. Today I
      decided to investigate and see If I can find the problem. I don't
      expect the X handle to move as smooth as the Y handle because of the
      Power Feed motor. I took the motor off and removed the gear off of the
      X Axis shaft. I then turned down a 3/4" shaft to 17mm to match the hole
      in the gear. Without removing the shaft from the lathe chuck I
      installed the gear on the end of it. I then very slightly touched the
      gear with the lathe cutter and turned the chuck by hand to see if the
      gear is round. Sure enough, it was out. I proceeded to cut the
      circumference of the gear until it was round in relation to the center
      hole. It didn't take too much cutting to make it round.

      I also indicated the shaft at the motor end of the Mill table. It was
      dead on, no problem here, but the X Axis handle was still dragging a
      little. Taking a closer look at the dial at the motor end of the table
      I noticed it was slightly crooked. I removed the dial and faced it a
      little in the lathe and reinstalled it. Without the Power Feed
      installed the X handle moves beautiful just like the Y Axis handle.

      I reinstalled the gear on the X Axis, installed the motor and put the
      Power Feed through it's paces. It ran very well and much quieter than
      it ever has. It always had that oscillating sound, smooth/grind, smooth
      grind. With the gear nice and round the sound is consistently smooth.
      The hand wheel is much easier to operate now.

      Denis
    • Druid Noibn
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hi Denis,

        Good deal - I'll shut off the main motor on mine and take a closer look & listen.  I did notice the dial is a bit off, (similar to your system ?) but ignored it.

        Again, thanks for the reminders.

        Take care,
        DBN

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
          Hello Druid,
          Long time no hear???
          It was worth the effort going through it. I never though it worked
          correctly, it shouldn't have that little grind that it had.

          Do you have a lathe?

          Denis

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Denis,
          >
          > Good deal - I'll shut off the main motor on mine and take a closer
          look & listen.  I did notice the dial is a bit off, (similar to your
          system ?) but ignored it.

          > Again, thanks for the reminders.
          >
          > Take care,
          > DBN

        • Druid Noibn
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
            Hi Denis,

            I was out of the country for a couple of weeks (about 600 Yahoo postings attesting that I am on too many groups) and then a bit busy with work.

            Yes, I have an HF 8X lathe - very nice machine.  The present sale price of $549 is rather nice and some stores appeared to accept the sale price combined with the special 3-day 20% coupon that was available a week or so ago.

            No complaints about the machine - HF still needs a management change.

            My G0484 is just about out of warranty and with the exception of the x-axis power drive needing replacement, all is running well.  With a few months of part-time work on it, I'll do some more tweaking now.

            FYI - some months ago I put in a Delrin dip-stick with magnets in the center.  The other day I checked it and was able to wipe-off metal particles i.e., it left black streaks on the cloth.  So, it is doing something.

            The original oil leaking out of head (required sending the head back for an overhaul) is non-existant, i.e., no leaks.

            Take care,
            DBN

            wrote:

            > Hi Denis,
            >
            > Good deal - I'll shut off the main motor on mine and take a closer
            look & listen.  I did notice the dial is a bit off, (similar to your
            system ?) but ignored it.

            > Again, thanks for the reminders.
            >
            > Take care,
            > DBN

          • Denis
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2009
              wrote:

              > Hi Denis,
              >
              > I was out of the country for a couple of weeks (about 600 Yahoo
              postings attesting that I am on too many groups) and then a bit busy
              with work.

              > Yes, I have an HF 8X lathe - very nice machine.  The present
              sale price of $549 is rather nice and some stores appeared to
              accept the sale price combined with the special 3-day 20% coupon that
              was available a week or so ago.

              Hi Druid,
              Thats a good idea making a delrin dip stick with a magnet. I'll have
              to make one for my machine. How did you mount the magnet?

              Denis

              > No complaints about the machine - HF still needs a management
              change.

              > My G0484 is just about out of warranty and with the exception of
              the x-axis power drive needing replacement, all is running well.
              With a few months of part-time work on it, I'll do some more tweaking
              now.

              > FYI - some months ago I put in a Delrin dip-stick with magnets in
              the center.  The other day I checked it and was able to wipe-off
              metal particles i.e., it left black streaks on the cloth.  So, it is
              doing something.

              > The original oil leaking out of head (required sending the head
              back for an overhaul) is non-existant, i.e., no leaks.

              > Take care,
              > DBN

            • theotherchris42
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
                Pics, pics. We want pics!
                Thanks,

                TheOtherChris

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...> wrote:

                > FYI - some months ago I put in a Delrin dip-stick with magnets in the
                center.  The other day I checked it and was able to wipe-off metal
                particles i.e., it left black streaks on the cloth.  So, it is doing
                something.

                > Take care,
                > DBN

              • Druid Noibn
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Hi Denis,

                  I changed the "Subject" title.

                  The dipstick, as it turns out was also proposed by another member - I'll beg forgiveness as I do not recall who s/he was.

                  The simple approach is to drill out the end of a 0.5" X 5.2" Delrin rod and insert several 0.25" or 6mm..or similar sized hi-strength Neodymium magnets.  I threaded the end and sealed it with a hex head bolt as pole piece - it aids in collecting detrius.

                  The rod is attached using the existing threaded fill plug - just turned the ID a bit, glued it and also secured the rod to it with a bolt to be extra safe.

                  Finally, I turned several grooves in the area where the magnets are, just above the bolt head as additional collection points for particles - Delrin is rather smooth and we do want the dipstick to collect the particles.

                  In truth, nearly all of the particles will be found on the hex bolt, that's expected and OK.

                  Take care,
                  DBN

                  > I was out of the country for a couple of weeks (about 600 Yahoo
                  postings attesting that I am on too many groups) and then a bit busy
                  with work.

                  > Yes, I have an HF 8X lathe - very nice machine.  The present
                  sale price of $549 is rather nice and some stores appeared to
                  accept the sale price combined with the special 3-day 20% coupon that
                  was available a week or so ago.

                  Hi Druid,
                  Thats a good idea making a delrin dip stick with a magnet. I'll have
                  to make one for my machine. How did you mount the magnet?

                  Denis

                  > No complaints about the machine - HF still needs a management
                  change.

                  > My G0484 is just about out of warranty and with the exception of
                  the x-axis power drive needing replacement, all is running well.
                  With a few months of part-time work on it, I'll do some more tweaking
                  now.

                  > FYI - some months ago I put in a Delrin dip-stick with magnets in
                  the center.  The other day I checked it and was able to wipe-off
                  metal particles i.e., it left black streaks on the cloth.  So, it is
                  doing something.

                  > The original oil leaking out of head (required sending the head
                  back for an overhaul) is non-existant, i.e., no leaks.

                  > Take care,
                  > DBN

                • Druid Noibn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Hi TheOtherChris,

                    I need to dig out my Brownie first <smile>.

                    The item is rally as straightforward as one can imagine - looking at the Grizzly G0484 mill/drill.

                    A piece of Delrin rod say 0.5" x 5.2"
                    Take existing oil fill cap - turn the iD a bit so the rod fits - turn the rod if you wish.  I glued the two together and added a bolt to be extra safe.

                    Drill out the other (oil) end so it will accept some small ne one ent for a bolt - , drill out both ends - one end for small Neodymium magnets and threaded for a retaining bolt.  I used a stack of about 10 pcs of a 6mm (dia) x 1.4mm disk magnets.
                    Also added a few grooves at the end to act as collection points.  Nearly all of the particles will collect on the bolt head.

                    Rather simple and it seems to be doing something, i.e, it is collecting "stuff."  Of course, one will need to adjust the length, etc. to fit the system.

                    Take care,
                    DBN

                    > FYI - some months ago I put in a Delrin dip-stick with magnets in the
                    center.  The other day I checked it and was able to wipe-off metal
                    particles i.e., it left black streaks on the cloth.  So, it is doing
                    something.

                    > Take care,
                    > DBN

                  • Glenn N
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
                      When I changed the oil in my head I added a neodymium magnet to the drain plug.
                      FWIW
                      Glenn

                      > I was out of the country for a couple of weeks (about 600 Yahoo
                      postings attesting that I am on too many groups) and then a bit busy
                      with work.

                      > Yes, I have an HF 8X lathe - very nice machine.  The present
                      sale price of $549 is rather nice and some stores appeared to
                      accept the sale price combined with the special 3-day 20% coupon that
                      was available a week or so ago.

                      Hi Druid,
                      Thats a good idea making a delrin dip stick with a magnet. I'll have
                      to make one for my machine. How did you mount the magnet?

                      Denis

                      > No complaints about the machine - HF still needs a management
                      change.

                      > My G0484 is just about out of warranty and with the exception of
                      the x-axis power drive needing replacement, all is running well.
                      With a few months of part-time work on it, I'll do some more tweaking
                      now.

                      > FYI - some months ago I put in a Delrin dip-stick with magnets in
                      the center.  The other day I checked it and was able to wipe-off
                      metal particles i.e., it left black streaks on the cloth.  So, it is
                      doing something.

                      > The original oil leaking out of head (required sending the head
                      back for an overhaul) is non-existant, i.e., no leaks.

                      > Take care,
                      > DBN

                    • arthurok
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
                        thats  a  good idea   cars  use  to  include  magnetized  drain  plugs
                        When I changed the oil in my head I added a neodymium magnet to the drain plug.
                        FWIW
                        Glenn

                        > I was out of the country for a couple of weeks (about 600 Yahoo
                        postings attesting that I am on too many groups) and then a bit busy
                        with work.

                        > Yes, I have an HF 8X lathe - very nice machine.  The present
                        sale price of $549 is rather nice and some stores appeared to
                        accept the sale price combined with the special 3-day 20% coupon that
                        was available a week or so ago.

                        Hi Druid,
                        Thats a good idea making a delrin dip stick with a magnet. I'll have
                        to make one for my machine. How did you mount the magnet?

                        Denis

                        > No complaints about the machine - HF still needs a management
                        change.

                        > My G0484 is just about out of warranty and with the exception of
                        the x-axis power drive needing replacement, all is running well.
                        With a few months of part-time work on it, I'll do some more tweaking
                        now.

                        > FYI - some months ago I put in a Delrin dip-stick with magnets in
                        the center.  The other day I checked it and was able to wipe-off
                        metal particles i.e., it left black streaks on the cloth.  So, it is
                        doing something.

                        > The original oil leaking out of head (required sending the head
                        back for an overhaul) is non-existant, i.e., no leaks.

                        > Take care,
                        > DBN

                      • Druid Noibn
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3, 2009
                          Hi Glenn,

                          Yes, this is a good idea and one that is often used in cars.

                          This was my initial choice but I decided to go the dipstick route.

                          Take care,
                          DBN