OT: Vibrating tumbler

  • mark
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 28, 2009
      I bought a 5lb canister vibrating tumbler at HF over the weekend and
      was wondering if anybody is using one of these. I tried it with some
      play sand I had and it seems to work good, but not as good as I had
      hoped, but it seems a lot better than the rolling tumbler.

      I assume the fine play sand is to fine for good rust removal and
      deburring, so I was wonder if anybody has any recommendations for what
      to use in it.

      Is there anything that works good for softening edges?

      Also, I didn't get any instructions in the box, so how far should the
      canister be filled for thid thing to work right.

      This is a good group, so I figure others are playing with one these.

      Mark
    • Gary Marsh
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 28, 2009
        Mark
        There's a special 'tumbler media' that is used in those .. HF should have it (my store in Phx does)
        Here's a link to an outfit on the web  http://www.mikro1.com  click on supplies /tumbling media
        Gary Marsh

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 28, 2009
          Mark,

          Get some real tumbling media, not sand. You'll get a much better
          result, much faster. For general purpose use, 1/4" green plastic
          pyramids work well. Add a few ounces of water, and a teaspoon of
          Simple Green. About an hour should do a nice job of cleaning and
          smoothing. You want to have the bowl almost full, and 70-80% media,
          20-30% parts.

          BTW - If someone wants a small vibratory finisher, I have a Raytech
          TV-10, virtually unused, I'd like to get rid of. I bought a much
          larger machine.

          Regards,
          Ray L.

          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <gmiller4396@...> wrote:

          > I bought a 5lb canister vibrating tumbler at HF over the weekend
          and
          > was wondering if anybody is using one of these. I tried it with
          some
          > play sand I had and it seems to work good, but not as good as I had
          > hoped, but it seems a lot better than the rolling tumbler.
          >
          > I assume the fine play sand is to fine for good rust removal and
          > deburring, so I was wonder if anybody has any recommendations for
          what
          > to use in it.
          >
          > Is there anything that works good for softening edges?
          >
          > Also, I didn't get any instructions in the box, so how far should
          the
          > canister be filled for thid thing to work right.
          >
          > This is a good group, so I figure others are playing with one these.
          >
          > Mark

        • M Belfer AllSPA
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 28, 2009
            water and small stones...the sort you put in fish aquaria work well.........choice of size depends on size of the items being rumbled or tumbled

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
              Here is another vote for using vibratory media instead of sand.  There are several kinds depending on how aggressive you want to be.  I think you will really like it once you get the right media and add some water with soap like the other post.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
                I have some of the green pyramids and I'll get some more.

                Do crushed walnut shells work in the tumbler as a media?

                Will glass beads work?

                Mark

                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Robert Schaefer <schaefernet@...>
                wrote:

                > Here is another vote for using vibratory media instead of sand.
                There are several kinds depending on how aggressive you want to be. I
                think you will really like it once you get the right media and add some
                water with soap like the other post.

              • FocusKnobs
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
                  Crushed walnut shells are used for cleaning and polishing - usually with
                  polishing rouge added.

                  I'm sure glass beads will do something, but they're usually used for
                  blasting, not tumbling.

                  You can get a brief overview of tumbling media from the following link
                  from Kramer Industries:

                  http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/tumbling-media.htm

                  Lou

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 29, 2009
                    Walnut shells are good for fine finishing, like polishing brass.
                    Absolutely useless on aluminum. They won't do squat for removing
                    rust, or deburring. The green plastic pyramids, with a little soap
                    and water, are the best media for quick deburring and surface
                    smoothing. They'll quickly leave a nice matte surface that is
                    perfect for polishing, anodizing, painting, powder-coating, plating,
                    etc.

                    Regards,
                    Ray L.

                    --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <gmiller4396@...> wrote:

                    > I have some of the green pyramids and I'll get some more.
                    >
                    > Do crushed walnut shells work in the tumbler as a media?
                    >
                    > Will glass beads work?
                    >
                    > Mark
                    >

                    > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Robert Schaefer <schaefernet@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Here is another vote for using vibratory media instead of sand.
                    > There are several kinds depending on how aggressive you want to
                    be. I
                    > think you will really like it once you get the right media and add
                    some
                    > water with soap like the other post.

                  • mklotz70
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
                      Just a note about the play box sand. It's way less aggressive that
                      sand for blasting. All the edges are smooth and rounded so that it's
                      not abrasive on the children playing in it. Blasting sand has sharp
                      edges.

                      wrote:

                      > Here is another vote for using vibratory media instead of sand.
                      There are several kinds depending on how aggressive you want to be. I
                      think you will really like it once you get the right media and add
                      some water with soap like the other post.

                      > ________________________________

                    • iqc4unme
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                        --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston" <jagboy@...> wrote:

                        > Walnut shells are good for fine finishing, like polishing brass.
                        > Absolutely useless on aluminum. They won't do squat for removing
                        > rust, or deburring. The green plastic pyramids, with a little soap
                        > and water, are the best media for quick deburring and surface
                        > smoothing. They'll quickly leave a nice matte surface that is
                        > perfect for polishing, anodizing, painting, powder-coating, plating,
                        > etc.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Ray L.

                        Ray,
                        Will the green plastic pyramids as a media, take out fine scratches on
                        Aluminum parts? ( As long as the scratches aren`t deep I would assume )
                        Thanks!
                        Nat
                      • Ray Livingston
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                          Nat,

                          It'll do a lot more than that if you leave the parts in there for a
                          while. I run all my aluminum parts through for one hour, which
                          removes all milling marks, removes all burrs, breaks all sharp edges,
                          and leaves the surfaces with a matte finish, looking very much like
                          they've been blasted with a fine meda, like glass beads. It leaves a
                          perfect surface for painting or plating, and smooth enough to polish
                          up easily. The plastic is impregnated with silicon carbide, so it
                          cuts pretty quickly. It's very important to add the water (just
                          enough to get all the media wet, no more), and a small amount (about
                          a teaspoon) of Simple Green, to keep the media clean. After about 4
                          hours, you'll have to remove the media, and rinse it off, then drain
                          it, add another teaspoon of Simple Green, and you're ready to go
                          again. When you take the parts out, immediately rinse them off using
                          warm soapy water, to remove the soap and aluminum residue, then dry
                          them off.

                          Regards,
                          Ray L.

                          --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "iqc4unme" <bsthrottleup@...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston" <jagboy@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Walnut shells are good for fine finishing, like polishing brass.
                          > > Absolutely useless on aluminum. They won't do squat for removing
                          > > rust, or deburring. The green plastic pyramids, with a little
                          soap
                          > > and water, are the best media for quick deburring and surface
                          > > smoothing. They'll quickly leave a nice matte surface that is
                          > > perfect for polishing, anodizing, painting, powder-coating,
                          plating,
                          > > etc.
                          > >
                          > > Regards,
                          > > Ray L.
                          > >
                          > Ray,
                          > Will the green plastic pyramids as a media, take out fine scratches
                          on
                          > Aluminum parts? ( As long as the scratches aren`t deep I would
                          assume )
                          > Thanks!
                          > Nat

                        • Dan Mauch
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                            And where can you buiy say 25lbs of the plastic pyraminds?
                            Dan Mauch
                            economical 3D scanner software and kits
                            low cost stepper and servo motors.
                            cases for Gecko drives
                            kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
                            www.camtronics-cnc.com
                            www.seanet.com/~dmauch

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                              Dan,

                              www.kingsleynorth.com
                              www.candmtopline.com

                              Support from C&M Topline is first-rate!

                              Regards,
                              Ray L.

                              --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@...> wrote:

                              > And where can you buiy say 25lbs of the plastic pyraminds?
                              > Dan Mauch
                              > economical 3D scanner software and kits
                              > low cost stepper and servo motors.
                              > cases for Gecko drives
                              > kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
                              > www.camtronics-cnc.com
                              > www.seanet.com/~dmauch

                            • iqc4unme
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                                --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Livingston" <jagboy@...> wrote:

                                > Dan,
                                >
                                > www.kingsleynorth.com
                                > www.candmtopline.com
                                >
                                > Support from C&M Topline is first-rate!
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Ray L.

                                Thanks a bunch Ray! I am going to look into that!
                                BIIIIIIG help!

                                Nat
                                :)