Re: [mill_drill] simple power feed?

  • ppump11578@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
      As the crudest of all the schemes I use a veriable speed electric drill and
      adaptor to engage with the feed handle centre with a stop fitted on the
      trigger to give an even constant feed. WARNING! This idea does not of course
      have any protection againest the table overrunning whilst being powered by
      the drill so should not be left unattended at all.
      Fiddlerphil
      Phil Pumphrey
      ppump11578@...
    • Derek
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
        --- ppump11578@... wrote:
        > As the crudest of all the schemes I use a veriable speed electric
        > drill and adaptor to engage with the feed handle centre.

        Our Swiss friend extended this idea to use the motor of a battery drill
        which has a built in overload clutch. Kewl. Someone must have his
        website reference for pics etc.

        Derek

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Mert Baker
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
          An idea occurs. how about a rubber clutch, made from a piece of heavy wall
          tube, on the drill. Slot it to engage the Leadscrew/cross slide handles.
          You want power feed, apply it & turn it on. at the end of the cut, uncouple
          it.
          Mert
          MertBaker@...
          > As the crudest of all the schemes I use a veriable speed electric drill
          and
          > adaptor to engage with the feed handle centre with a stop fitted on the
          > trigger to give an even constant feed. WARNING! This idea does not of
          course
          > have any protection againest the table overrunning whilst being powered by
          > the drill so should not be left unattended at all.
          > Fiddlerphil
          > Phil Pumphrey
          > ppump11578@...
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Dan Mauch
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002

            Some guys buy a 300-500 oz in stepper motor and build a motor mount that uses a 2/1 ratio timing pulley and using a stepper motor driver with a little oscillator circuit that can control the pulses creates a dandy power feed. I use to build these for a 3/1 company. The best part about using a stepper motor is that you also can control it automatically from the pc and do stuff like controlled feed rate in one direction and rapid traverse in the other. Last you now have 1/3 of a cnc machine. So the additional amount that it would cost to use a stepper motor gives you the flexibility of being able to automate the processes.

            If interested contact me off line as I think I have the lowest prices on dual shaft stepper motors.

            Dan

          • Skip Evans
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
              I have a Jet 16 mill drill from the same era. I use one of the bolt one
              power feeds for the x-axis.. Works great..

              check my website

              > I have an old Jet JT 16 mill drill (dated 1975).

              Skip_evans@...
              Alvin, TX
              http://skipevans.homestead.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                I built a powerfeed for my RF31 last summer. Pictures
                and plans are in the files section:

                --- vincedo66 <vincedo@...> wrote:
                > I have an old Jet JT 16 mill drill (dated 1975).
                > Does anyone have any plans or ideas of a simple
                > power feed for the longitute travel of the table.I
                > see they sell a bolt on unit but I don't know if it
                > will bolt up to my old machine.Does anyone know if
                > the bolt pattern is the same has the newer Mill
                > Drills.If this is a bolt on item I might consider
                > buying one,but they are pricey.I'd like to hear any
                > ideas for any home built power feeds.
                > Thank you
                > Vince

                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              • jkellymcc
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Vince,

                  I built a powerfeed from an old automobile electric window motor.
                  Mostly a pretty simple design. You can see the powerfeed at
                  <http://www.wcc.net/~jkmccoy/shop/pwrfeed.htm>

                  Cheers,
                  Kelly McCoy
                  West Texas

                  --- In mill_drill@y..., "vincedo66" <vincedo@w...> wrote:
                  > I have an old Jet JT 16 mill drill (dated 1975). Does anyone have
                  any plans or ideas of a simple power feed for the longitute travel of
                  the table.I see they sell a bolt on unit but I don't know if it will
                  bolt up to my old machine.Does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the
                  same has the newer Mill Drills.If this is a bolt on item I might
                  consider buying one,but they are pricey.I'd like to hear any ideas for
                  any home built power feeds.
                  > Thank you
                  > Vince
                • jcgerb
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002
                    Hi Vince,

                     and at

                    and at

                    May be it gives you an idea. The mill/drill is 25 years old.

                    Jean-Claude, Switzerland

                    I have an old Jet JT 16 mill drill (dated 1975). Does anyone have any plans or ideas of a simple power feed for the longitute travel of the table.I see they sell a bolt on unit but I don't know if it will bolt up to my old machine.Does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same has the newer Mill Drills.If this is a bolt on item I might consider buying one,but they are pricey.I'd like to hear any ideas for any home built power feeds.
                                  Thank you
                                    Vince

                  • jlgentry@networktel
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2002